Denno Coil

Episode 2
I'm not super-into the worldbuilding, the music feels off at times when it's so full of levity even in chase scenes, the colour palette is depressing, but I'll keep at it.

The muted color palette reminds me that was a pretty huge staple of early 2000s shows due to it being an awkward phase of technological transition. Which didn't really work for me most of the time besides for some rare exceptions like Kino's Journey or Boogiepop Phantom.

And thank fuck for that, given how cavalier -- at best -- the vast majority of tech companies treat privacy issues.

As someone in the tech field, I'm ashamed to say how incredibly spot on this is in regards to privacy. >_>;

I think most companies have given up on things like Google Glasses for the time being, or at least, i haven't heard of anything like it for a few years.
I think the closest thing I've heard of in recent years is Magic Leap, though it's still closer to other VR headsets... they're just focusing more on in-home AR from what I've seen. But give it time, it'll come back around as the tech improves, just like VR in general did (remember the Virtual Boy? Yeeeaaah...).

And thank fuck for that, given how cavalier -- at best -- the vast majority of tech companies treat privacy issues.
As someone in the tech field, I'm ashamed to say how incredibly spot on this is in regards to privacy. >_>;
Cavalier might honestly be putting it too nicely... Unless Google is reading this now, in which case how dare you speak ill of our generous and totally innocuous Google overlords.

Episode 2:
This city is... weird. There's definitely some deeper shit going on behind the scenes with these Searchies, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense...

Megabaa used Hyper Beam! It's super effective!

Hmm... Alright, I am a little curious what this pigtail girl's deal is and why she's honed in on the dog.

Also, I feel so bad for that poor dog having to deal with a kid who does that to him... You poor, brave cyber pooch...

03:

I don't think it was a very smart or good idea baa-chan to give your mega ultra death beam weapon to a toddler who says poop every time. I had a nice laugh when her back gave out and the unko-kid poofed her hair. The questions were just getting piled on here again with the encoder girl and illegals having some kind of key hole on them. Pretty cool looking visuals there. It's a funny coincidence thinking about it how @OkamiHime95 made a heartless comparison from kingdom hearts because you know, the whole concept of keys here lol

That Mojo getting vaporized though, NoooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooo. They're too cute to die!

At least the dog was safe, I don't have to kill anyone now.

These episodes just fly by fast to me.

Last edited:
seeing everyone talking about this makes me want to rewatch it. it's a good show, though to be fair im one of those rare people who LOVES bratty kids in media

The more the merrier I say! You should get in on dis.

I also think your Enta avatar here really says everything hahaha. I kind of prefer my kids in my media to actually show a bratty side rather than just solely be perfect angels or it can get a bit too saccharine for my taste.

Last edited:
@Gens
calling out enta haha. to be honest, I love characters who are the shitstirrers of the show (enta) and also bratty kids (enta), so enta just doubles, along with actually getting some meat to his character for me to pick at.

but yeah I love bratty kids. part of it is because I was a Bad Kid (for various reasons). I find a lot of saccharine kids tend to lack personality beyond being cute and sweet and having the generic 'sweet child' personality, the more flaws a character stacks the more potential they have for me (though I have sweet saccharine exceptions). but that's just personal preference

ep 1
honestly it's been years and years since i saw this. I originally watched it in 2009, but I remember being fascinated by its animation at the time after seeing it in a random 'best Openings' video. either way the animation still holds up. and I love its unique character designs. there's just a particular AESTHETIC to dennoh coil I adore, that urban sci-fi early 2000s dark kid shit. Gives me Digimon Tamers vibes

anyway, this episode is all early set up, but I love how much character is conveyed through densuke. it's also pretty efficient for 20 minutes of story.

Episode 3:
Oh no... what have you done Megabaa, that kid should not have a megabeam! O-o

So... the illegals hold some sort of secret, and it also sounds like they're the key to metabug production... Curious...

Of course she transfers into your class, this is anime, the mystery maybe/maybe not antagonist always transfers into the MC's class XD

04:

This episode basically confirmed how kids can be the absolute worst. God fucking damn Daichi with that bullying was a super big asshole. I'm glad I'm not a kid anymore man. I also kind of felt bad for Yuko just trying to be friends with super wizard encoder girl. Can't deny this show is absolutely spot-on with how children behave and I really like that, playing petty pranks on each other is totally what one would do.

It also was amusing to see them go full out whacky cyber warfare against each other and you know the AR glasses are basically a pretty good visualization and projection of kids hyperactive imaginations.

rTpOp9e.png

The look on this teacher just says, I'm so fucking DONE WITH THEIR SHITE.

The best moment of the episode:
ElLnKK6.png

Silly ass Mojos, lmfao.

Last edited:
Episode 3

There's a lot I liked about this episode, firstly, the dog is now OK. Now if they can please leave him alone and let him be happy for the rest of the show I'll be most grateful.

Secondly, the Searchies are proper menacing. The chase scenes with them were genuinely good, and they look so alien that they just have this weird foreboding sense of dread, it was pretty creepy when it reached out to try and grab Yuko.

Also, still no idea what the other Yuko is looking for, but some great animation when the world started glitching around them. Good stuff.

Episode 4:
Damn, was that bullying or a fucking war zone? It was pretty fun to watch Isako turn it all back on them though.

Also, why was there a Monogatari series-esque pile of desks? Is this a common thing in Japan, just throwing a bunch of extra desks in a fucking heap?

Oh, one more thing... for a Japanese school that isn't in a tiny horror anime village with like 10 kids, the dress code seems strangely loose... Is literally anyone besides Yasako actually wearing anything resembling a uniform?

What a wonderfully weird show. I got lost the minute I was dunked into this world, but it was reassuring to see that the main character was just as lost as I was. The kids'-like vibe is helping me get interested in the story. If it had taken itself too seriously, I think I would've tuned out of it right off the bat. I'm still not sure what I feel about this, but the characters are interesting enough for me to give a shit about them. My favorite so far's got to be Exposition Detective Girl. Oh, and Densuke too. Cuteness, thy name is Densuke.

I lol'd when techie-baasan gave that kid an ultralight beam, it's like you gave your own toddler some crayons and let them run wild around the house.

So searchies don't actually kill you, it just deletes some of your data and breaks glasses.

Both of these fates worse than death, I can assure you.

What a wonderfully weird show. I got lost the minute I was dunked into this world, but it was reassuring to see that the main character was just as lost as I was. The kids'-like vibe is helping me get interested in the story. If it had taken itself too seriously, I think I would've tuned out of it right off the bat. I'm still not sure what I feel about this, but the characters are interesting enough for me to give a shit about them. My favorite so far's got to be Exposition Detective Girl. Oh, and Densuke too. Cuteness, thy name is Densuke.

I lol'd when techie-baasan gave that kid an ultralight beam, it's like you gave your own toddler some crayons and let them run wild around the house.

I mentioned this already in my episode 4 post, but a lot of Dennou Coil feels like the projection of the active imagination of a kid with all the cute creature designs and funny names, like searchies and oyaji. Children can make huge adventures out of any small thing.

I mentioned this already in my episode 4 post, but a lot of Dennou Coil feels like the projection of the active imagination of a kid with all the cute creature designs and funny names, like searchies and oyaji. Children can make huge adventures out of any small thing.

Oh man, those Searchies. They're appropriately scary with their cute faces. And Oyaji's a real one, I want me one of those.

Oh man, those Searchies. They're appropriately scary with their cute faces. And Oyaji's a real one, I want me one of those.

The oyaji just flaunting that ass, that's what you call fabulous sir. Although, I'm all about those Mojos personally.

-------
05:
phdfgz4.png

HAH, oh fucking snap girl. Good old sweet childish romance in the air. Yasako is actually a pretty sharp kid.

aqqgRwd.png

BRO TO BRO BEAR HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG GUYS, can't stop laughing at this with how they squish in on him. This show never fails to make me smile.

kR21kB0.png

Franconator's right, exposition detective is a real keeper. She wears the pants in the family clearly. Straight up SAVAGE, spanking her bro like that.

Not gonna lie, it was just so enjoyable for me seeing Isako acting so damn smug and fucking with the guys this episode. Can't say they didn't deserve their fate in becoming her lackeys for bullying the shit out of her, the dudes are dumb as bricks.

Man, that ending though. HAVING THAT SATCHI DO SOME TRICKS! Like a dog or something.

The interactions between the characters are honestly pretty great in how natural they feel. I'm having way too much fun with this show.

Last edited:
4-5

That battle was fun, who'd have thought a bunch of kids shooting each other with data bullets buy typing seriously fast would be so interesting?

I liked the adventure feel in 5 too, and those damn Searchies once again trying to fuck things up for everyone involved.

Am I the only one that feels like Isako is older than the rest of the cast by a significant amount? I honestly thought she was an adult when we first saw her, but here she is in 6th grade with the rest of them. Even if she isn't an adult, she still feels and looks like she's at least 4 years older.

Am I the only one that feels like Isako is older than the rest of the cast by a significant amount? I honestly thought she was an adult when we first saw her, but here she is in 6th grade with the rest of them. Even if she isn't an adult, she still feels and looks like she's at least 4 years older.

I had the same impression honestly that she was more adult beyond her years, Isako kind of feels like one of those kids that underwent heavy shit in the past and was forced to grow up faster than everyone else.

Back