Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Episode 02

Once you get past the annoying narration this show can be pretty entertaining when it's not taking it's self too seriously. It's well paced as well so it goes by very fast. MC still talks too much, I'd appreciate if they put a bamboo seal on his mouth as well, he'll be matching with his sister.

Not sure what's funnier, how the demon's head flew off so smoothly as if it was never attached to the body, or how he turned into a Geodude right after.

Don't you just love our MC? He's so perfect in every way imaginable. In fact, his only flaw is that he's too kind and selfless. I'm ready to drop all the panties I don't have for him.
*Midoriya flashbacks intensify*

I can't get used to seeing the bamboo stick in Nezuko's mouth. Also, is there no building of tension in this episode? It just came so suddenly...and then dropped suddenly. For example:
The siblings finding the monster feeding on human meat. Then Nezuko's kick.
I wish they'd stop doing that.

Just like to add I am a fan of the ED song. I feel the Yuki Kajiura magic.

Last edited:
Episode 3:
Not an amazing or action packed story, but a necessary and solid one to push the story ahead. Lots of montage training with some funny parts. It was your standard cliche about fighting "the last boss to level up" type of situation, but it was done in a neat way. Almost like passing a student around to a different master to learn something new. The Nezuko in a coma part seemed to come out of nowhere with no explanation, unless I missed it in the last episode somewhere, which is very possible.

Episode 3

And, the other shoe dropped.

That was...weird and disappointing. For an episode dedicated to protagonist training, it felt like I was watching a documentary instead of a training montage or struggle. Even the frustration he felt when he hit a plateau in his training and couldn't slice the boulder was just sort of matter-of-fact. The small amount of emotions he was shown over it was cut short when the fox-mask guy interrupted him.

These two came out of nowhere, their names are barely said, and suddenly it's all about "looking like a man". What? Give me a break. Two years of training in one rather dull episode...I was expecting something much better.

Also, his sister constantly sleeping confused the heck out of me until they finally got around to mentioning it. There were so many unexplained things (when the two just disappeared into the mist, I was scratching my head). Not to mention how the fox-mask guy "looked sad and satisfied"...sad? Why did he look sad? Exactly who is he? He's been appearing and fighting against Tanjiro for six months (or so we're lead to believe), and nobody mentioned anything about where he came from except that the master took in a bunch of orphans?
What are they not telling Tanjiro (and by extension, the audience)?

I gather that the Selection Test is to join the Demon Fighting Corps...but it was sort of sprung on us incredibly quickly. I don't know what the pacing of the manga is like, but this is starting to feel rushed, dull, and more of a documentary. I can't get into any of the characters now because there were really no signs of personality in this episode. Sure, there were some funny moments with the training, but those were the highlights of the episode.

The protagonist, Tanjiro, had set himself up as being someone who fought with his head...not brashly fighting head-on like an idiot. Yet, that's exactly what he had to do to pass this test. While I understand that when it comes to swordsmanship, the faster samurai wins (I've dabbled into kenjutsu, so I do understand that)...I had enjoyed his out-of-the-box method of fighting before.

Is the Selection Test going to feel like a recap episode as well?

I hate to compare, but...in Rurouni Kenshin, when Kenshin was training during the Kyoto arc, the audience could feel in the music, atmosphere, characters, and overall exposition that there was a bunch of tension riding on him completing the training. Compared to that, this training montage for this anime was just...well, it played like a recap episode or a documentary. It's an interesting approach (the heavy narration), but it didn't translate any tension or urgency at all. Like...his sister has now been asleep for what, two years? Just randomly, and these people who have been fighting demons and should know about demons have no clue why?

It's really sad to see a promising anime nearly ruin itself in a single episode. Granted, it's always been a little heavy on the narration, but it was never this bad. It's like we were reading from the journal he was writing with some animated clips (sort of animated...there was one scene near the boulder where I had to check and make sure that the video hadn't frozen because they were talking but not moving at all)...that doesn't really work well for a high-stakes situation (his sister's strange comatose state) or training.

Episode 3:

The moment I was waiting for finally came... seeing Tanjiro grow from a weak boy to a very strong slayer. I like how all of this development occurred in almost two years of training, and not just suddenly. I know that it lacks the action that most of you would've wished for, but I'm glad that we got all of this in one episode and got it over with. As for his longer hair, it makes him look more handsome and strong... more like a man than a hopeless boy. The new characters (I can't for the life of me memorize their names) are really interesting... all are likeable so far. I'm worried about his sister though... hope she doesn't wake up as a different monster. I really love this anime so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sister makes a cute demon.

Hit and miss on this one. The soundtrack was of noticeable quality. Some of the angles and motion shots were good too. But some of the rest did not reach that level at all.

I get the feeling the rest of the episodes will be standard shounen (not good).

There were so many unexplained things (when the two just disappeared into the mist, I was scratching my head). Not to mention how the fox-mask guy "looked sad and satisfied"...sad? Why did he look sad? Exactly who is he? He's been appearing and fighting against Tanjiro for six months (or so we're lead to believe), and nobody mentioned anything about where he came from except that the master took in a bunch of orphans?
What are they not telling Tanjiro (and by extension, the audience)?
The rope around the stone means that stone is inhabited by a spirit, in this case two spirits of former students of the master, who have died and are bound there for one reason or another. The fox guy is satisfied, because he helped the new student of his beloved master and yet sad, because he has to move on himself, because he and the girl were the stone that got cut.

Episode 3:
I like that it actually took him 2 years to learn to fight. All too often it takes a character no time at all to come out stronger. You can think of it as time skip like training segment but we were basically shown most of what they wanted to show from those two years. And boy was it strange.

It started with a light hearted montage of him learning his training routine while comically failing. Alright I can't wait to see it pay off. Oh, a year's gone by and he's struggling and frustrated. Ok I can relate to frustrations like that. He then is challenged by some random guy and looked after by some random girl who turn out to be past students of the master for about another 6 months off screen and that's where all his improvements came to fruition, but all we got to see was the tail end of it. That left me more than a bit disappointed. Now I know this test is coming up where we'll see more of his training pay off but for now all that build up from training was pretty unsatisfying. Those two who helped him pass on without us really learning anything about them for how much help they gave Tanjirou. The animation during their first fight was great though.

Also Nezuko just clocked the hell out for those two years. She didn't get injured or anything last episode right? I'm hoping she won't just conveniently wake up now that his training is over.

Episode 3
One good point showed itself separate from all that.
Passage of time is a neat thing. The author doesn't seem terrified that she'll lose the target demographic by letting the teenage protagonist actually age some years, and stuff actually takes time, not just a week or month(or day). There's just way too bloody much of that in impatient shounen. Nah man, gotta get those two years in to even start at the basics when the story doesn't start in medias res FMA style.

This episode also used an exact 2:1 conversion in adapting the source material, and that does bring some problems as outside of action arcs a lot of chapters are paced an end in a manner that makes it troublesome to not also end an episode on the same point the chapter ends without it being awkward.
So these two training focused chapters that are read very quickly end up feeling very padded in anime format. And it's kind of a lose-lose problem for the anime at least on this specific part of the story as there's not really any way you could make this part better by rushing either. And I'd rather have that than the alternative. I do hope they'll make the next episode 3:1, though. But I suspect they won't due to the whole film thing.

A small problem that is showing itself to be persistent is the art. It allowed itself to be a bit more light-hearted in humor, but the tone suffers here. As some said, there's kind of a "documentary" feeling to everything, which I feel in part can be attributed to the tone set by the art which still prefers to be supr srzs u guise even where it should allow itself to just be silly.
goofgoof.png

I guess a comparison would be if, say, My Hero Academia (from the same magazine so it fits) being drawn as constantly always having a dead serious bishie look to its character designs with no cartoony visual exaggerations. Boy would that mess with the tone.
Right now it's still just a minor issue, but oh man will it actually be a problem if that doesn't stop by the time the rest of the cast is introduced, though the studio would practically be brute-forcing it if it did, so I still hold decent hope on that front.

Oh, it just struck me: I suspect that this is all because of the whole "5 episodes into a movie" thing. That makes sense. They probably planned to form the first five episodes as a movie from the start, and the tone and pacing makes a whole lot more sense from that perspective. A lot of the aforementioned pacing perceptions become significantly less troublesome when everything is literally seen in a movie format with everything flowing together. And I'm not aware of any more movie plans, nor does the story structure afterwards lend itself to it, so maybe then it will be a bit more liberal stylistically afterwards. Though if that's the case then I kinda expect some to experience a sense of tonal whiplash in the art if it suddenly starts being more faithful like 6-7 episodes in, which in turn makes me fear that maybe they'll have boxed themselves in artistically. Buuuuuuut there's stuff in the OP itself that heavily hints at that not being the case either.
likethemanga.png

At least my mental neck is getting whiplash from all this if nothing else...

So I guess so long as the rest of the season is good then the main way to recommend this is to just start with the movie and then skip to episode 6 in the anime as the optimal way to watch it. Annoying, but could certainly be worse.

Last edited:
The rope around the stone means that stone is inhabited by a spirit, in this case two spirits of former students of the master, who have died and are bound there for one reason or another. The fox guy is satisfied, because he helped the new student of his beloved master and yet sad, because he has to move on himself, because he and the girl were the stone that got cut.

Oh! Thank you for clearing that up. I know that a rope tied like that meant that it was sealing in a spirit, but I didn't make the connection that the two kids were the ones sealed (probably because they were able to physically damage the protagonist).

Ep. 3:
That got all SNK over there for a moment. And then it got all Black Clover.
The training part was necessary for the story to progress, but I was bored. I'm honestly more interested in the sister. She's powerful and she can fight. Why don't you train her instead of the generic protagonist? Why do you have her sleeping all the time?
Enter Bakugo -_-
It felt like this episode had 3 hours. Not good. See, I have the exact same problem with this show that I have with Carol & Tuesday - I've seen it all before.

Episodes 1-3

The first two episodes went by fast as hell, while the third one took fooooooreeeeeeeveeeeeeer.

Glad they burned through the backstory and training, though. Now we might get something interesting. It's was a bit off putting to have him flailing around in a shounen comedy manner an episode after his mother and like three or four siblings were brutally massacred. Not sure about this anime yet. It could be something entertaining like Blue Exorcist, or it could just be generic AF.

Either way, more adorable oni sister, por favor.

This anime looks pretty damn good as far as character design and animation. Even the CG. Hopefully it turns out to be something worthwhile.

The episode did drag a bit, but the training montage is done, at least. And there were some pretty enjoyable moments this ep, I have to say. The way they are threading more and more humor into the show works well. I also continue to find Tanjiro to be one of the more bearable shounen protagonists I've seen.

Overall, satisfied with it.

Back