Deca-Dence

goddamn, studio NUT is makin me NUT with the animation this episode. I really am liking how the cgi isnt so intrusive here, and the 2d looks so goddamn fluid. it's almost trigger esque.
natsume is really going sicko mode on those beasts, i'm not surprised though, it's epic how much breathing correctly can help you not to panic. And having a teacher like that guy. Training montage from last ep really paid off.

man, sometimes i feel like the stakes are a bit too awkward to really allow random deaths to matter, but whenever i remember most of them are avatars, it really adds a new layer to the storytelling. I guess in the end i did like the twist after all.

man, the hopelessness in the second half of this episode is palpable though. big man really has no hope for the world, and since hes natsumes teacher and basically the only person she can rely on, as someone with built in hope, that has to really hurt.

Last edited:
Ep. 4

I'm finding myself a little excited for next week's episode.

I'm actually starting to find the cyborg world a bit interesting because of the small personal rebellions against the system going on and the fact that Kaburagi's grumpy ass is translated so well into his cyborg character.

I loved the fight sequence because the Tankers were killing it. I think I might prefer them over the Gears from what I've seen so far.

I actually nervous that Kaburagi's going to do something really stupid next week to protect not only Natsume but all the fighters. I need him to survive! I'm also wondering how many people inside Deca-Dence are avatars for the cyborgs.

I never thought this would wind up being my favorite show of the Summer releases considering how pissed I was at the beginning.

Ep 5

I was tense through most of this ep, because I knew consequences would be coming for Kaburagi as soon as he hit the field. Sure enough, I was not spared the agony of watching my boy go down. He went out like the Boss he is though. He just better be back soon is all I'm saying.

I think my second favorite character is Deca-Dence itself. I love when it pulls something awesome out and starts blasting!

I thought for a minute with the bubble dissolved we were going to see the outside, but no, NEXT LEVEL COMMENCES.

I know we're not exactly spoiled for choice this season, but this is clearly anime of the season. It has creative high concept setting, but doesn't ignore basics like characterization or story to push its more meta elements. It's managed to pull off a couple of game changing twists without stumbling. I'm kind of excited to see what this
new level looks like now that Kaburagi has screwed the narrative.

So far I think I might like Great Pretender a bit more than Deca-Dence if we're talking about anime of the season, but there's one thing I do like about episode 6:
Donatello in his Avatar state looks pretty cool. That and working in the Deca-Dence bug prison is quite the shitty life-style. Even during their death match, neither Donatello or Kaburagi choose to use their trump card. So you can say that Donatello, at the very least, follows a code of honor. Wonder what's going to happen now that Kaburagi is going back into the game, so far Deca-Dence is keeping me invested in the story.

Just watched episode 6, and now I have come here with questions because I have absolutely no idea what's going on.
What is Deca-Dence? Is it a virtual world or a VR Game? Is it the real world, but played through an avatar?
Why does no one acknowledge that it is a game then? Do people know it's a game?
Why are some of those cutesey robots aware of the game, but some of the Deca-Dence inhabited characters not present there? Are they NPC?
I have too many questions...

I made it through this episode for Kaburai's sake and I'm glad I did because there were some interesting developments in the storyline that made me want the next episode right away. Also, that a-hole with the whip needs to die. Not kidding, I'm still salty. I want Kaburagi to waste him at some point.

What is Deca-Dence? Is it a virtual world or a VR Game? Is it the real world, but played through an avatar?
Why does no one acknowledge that it is a game then? Do people know it's a game?
Why are some of those cutesey robots aware of the game, but some of the Deca-Dence inhabited characters not present there? Are they NPC?
I have too many questions...

I honestly feel the same way. i had the impression that their Avatars were existing in a "virtual space" but they could operate the gear bodies through a connection or something like the matrix. but these last 2 episodes kind of throw that out the window. Ep 6 has them physically interacting with the Gadoll and episode 5 showed them changing the entire landscape and populating it with new Gadoll due to the change to the "story".

Until this episode i thought that was just like a projection or something to tide over the "players". Now it makes me question whether the tankers are actually NPC's in a virtual space, but everything else points to them being actual humans? I expect we will get some more world building in the future, but right now i'm questioning my understanding of the situation

alright, the cutesy little cyborg guys artstyle is finally growing on me in this episode. I guess it took basically just seeing only them in this world for a while to realize how strange and interesting the contrast is between them and the environment. Also this was a really intriguing part of the story. I love how some of these little guys are animated, it's hilarious and cute. Moreover, the setup here of having a correctional facility like this just proves how flawed the hivemind that governs these guys is, I mean, who the hell programmed that in? Make it so you have less resources by banning everyone who doesn't conform forever? gimme a break

regardless i do like the change of scenery this episode, this screwed up correctional facility is fun. I like thinking about how the character designers were allowed so much creativity with this episode. Just havin a field day. So many dope little creature designs.

Episode 7:
The way the Deca-Dence system is killing off a portion of the population is reminding me of some of the earlier events in Attack on Titan. That and the hole in the wall being a constant danger to the characters. I liked how everybody worked together to help patch the wall, even those whom Natsume grew distant from. But I feel like Natsume will be constantly pushing herself even during dangerous situations. Which is why Kaburagi is determined to create change, not only to keep his sanity, but to also help Natsume in a big way. So its not surprising to see him announce a plan to attack the Gadoll factory.

On another note, I think the Deca-Dence avatars have been growing on me for a while now. Anime has always been expressing itself as an art, with some trying to go creative, some trying a bit too hard, and some picking the easy way out. Even though art can be subjective to anime fans, I can greatly appreciate it when it feels like a different experience.

i feel like natsume's friend's weird character arc was a little too predictable, something you could easily see coming from the very moment she's introduced and you can see that the two characters are clearly now on seperate paths. It's a bit cliche'd but I suppose I don't mind it.

Other than that, good episode with a good focused goal to it. The other CGI monster anime this season, gibiate, is making me cry with how pathetic it is compared to this one.

This is just bad sciene fiction. No idea whats is going on because studio Nut skimped on the word building potion that is essential to good sci-fi. Actually, this should probably be classified as fantasy, don't think it meets the requirements of sci-fi.

"you eat pieces of shit. you dispose of pieces of shit. you ARE pieces of shit!"

everyone: *vomits shit*

only in deca-dence.

brilliant episode btw.

We've secretly replaced Natsume's regular coffee life with Folger's crystals Fortnite... let's see if she notices has a mental breakdown.

Can't wait until the next episode.

Back