DARLING in the FRANXX

g3data

DARLING in the FRANXX
Alt title:

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here

Another one of the brand new titles announced during Triggers AX panel. A collaboration project with A-1 Pictures.

Director: Atsushi Nishigori
Assistant Director: Toshifumi Akai
Series Composition: Atsushi Nishigori, Naotaka Hayashi
Character Designer: Masayoshi Tanaka
Chief Animation Director: Masayoshi Tanaka
Mechanical Designer: Shigeto Koyama
Action Supervisor: Masayoshi Tanaka
Animation Production: Trigger x A-1 Pictures

Last edited:
Between the title, lack of information and cover image, I can't help but be questionably intrigued. In a good way.

The cover looks nice I suppose? I am a bit wary of A-1 Pictures being involved, they're very hit and miss. I think they also have some of the worst working conditions too.

I'll give it a try though, a fair number of Trigger staff are involved after all.

I can't say I found the PV very inspiring at all to be honest when I watched it, or this premise. But it's Trigger, so hopefully it turns out good.

I can't say I found the PV very inspiring at all to be honest when I watched it, or this premise. But it's Trigger, so hopefully it turns out good.
It is a weird PV, I'm not sure what they're trying to showcase with it. However it does have edgelord Nonon Jakuzure, so I'm already sold. Imaishi is directing the action scenes, so hopefully they should look good if nothing else.

I think I'm willing to give this show a try just on Trigger's merits alone. I'm not expecting another Trigger sensation, but if it has enough of their flair in it to at the very least make it entertaining then it'll probably be worth the time.

If anything it's an original work.

Episode 1:

This was a well made first episode. The designs are great, the art looks great and action was really damn cool.

Unfortunately, the episode is also one of the most generic mecha first episodes I've ever seen. It's like this was written by copying a bunch of pages out of the big book of mecha cliches. If you've seen more than a handful of mecha you'll be able to predict every line of dialogue and every character reaction. The character dynamics have zero surprises and what's shown of the story is pretty generic, too.

At least there wasn't too much exposition or info dumping. The episode just feeds out the information we need at any given time to understand what is going on. I'm hoping that this episode ended up so bland because there's some interesting quirks to the world that they want to show rather than explain as exposition. However, that left this episode without any real hook other than the stellar visual presentation. I suppose I'll just have to be content with that for now and hope Trigger has some good shit up their sleeve.

There are a lot of mecha shows out there that follow this exact blueprint for the first episode and some of those do manage to grow their own personality, so I'm not writing this one off yet.

I did laugh when the mecha grew an ass and a big pair of tiddies.

Despite the complaints this was still one of the better first episodes this season.

01:

It kind of pains my soul to say this as a Trigger fan grill, but I wasn't very impressed with this episode, and it didn't really feel like trigger to me mostly. It felt pretty strange actually, watching something by Trigger, without much of an ounce of their quirky humor really anywhere present in this episode, and I was mainly thinking to myself.......eh, with this setup.

Boy meets strange mysterious pink haired girl while she's nekked, at a lake, was really cliche, and who hasn't heard of that before? I didn't feel attached to any of the characters to be honest, main guy especially seems pretty generic template.

It's only the ending of this episode with the bit of sweet action, that made me go, "Oh, hey, that's pretty Trigger" FAAAAAAB ROBOT TITS AND ASS GO! I guess it's because Imaishi is directing the action scenes:

UltimateDelightfulEider-max-14mb.gif
Just disappointing overall for my taste though, the end of the episode got me a bit more interested because shiny action, but I thought this was mostly lacking panache/personality to draw me in. Hell, I liked Kiznaiver's first episode better than this one. I'll wait, to see how the other episodes play out though, and the mecha designs are cool at least. If nothing else, the action will be amazing probably. It's not bad, but I'm hoping for more later.

Last edited:
i can't say i'm disappointed, but i'm not impressed either, it's start is generic af and doesn't exactly promise much down the line, but i'm not writing it off yet, it might actually become something interesting down the line, or at least i hope so, (optimism!) not much to be added though, ZK and Gen already said most of what i said.

though the A1-parasite is at play here, we do have some places with high quality and fluid animation, other places are very stale, and the Buttshots! the trade mark of A1-pictures, we can't have a show with them on board without buttshots.

can i also say that i hate the main character? other than the fact that he's the same cookie cutter main character we've seen a hundred time, just like everything else in the show. also, as a mecha, robot designs are ridiculous and ugly, and here i was looking forward for some "fan service" with cool designs, got some T&A instead, and i'm not happy about it.

though the A1-parasite is at play here, we do have some places with high quality and fluid animation, other places are very stale, and the Buttshots! the trade mark of A1-pictures, we can't have a show with them on board without buttshots.

Now that I think about it one of the more visually impressive moments of the episode is when horn chick is crawling back into the mech and they actually animated how the light and shadows were shifting on her ass as she moved. You know what's important to a show by what they put the most time into detailing.
RNCjfoi.jpg

IifgEAG.jpg

IA3Pmb7.jpg

can i also say that i hate the main character? other than the fact that he's the same cookie cutter main character we've seen a hundred time, just like everything else in the show. also, as a mecha, robot designs are ridiculous and ugly, and here i was looking forward for some "fan service" with cool designs, got some T&A instead, and i'm not happy about it.

I don't think Trigger's exactly any stranger to tits, and ass though. I mean, have you seen KLK?

1382079073088.gif

They lavishly love their T and A lol

Last edited:
I don't think Trigger's exactly any stranger to tits, and ass though, I mean, have you seen KLK?

1382079073088.gif

sadly no, my only other experience with Trigger is Kiznaiver (which i'm not a fan of). but i think that one was very stingy when it came to fan service.
eh at least it's better than what the Isekai show visually graced us with, so i can deal with it.

I don't think Trigger's exactly any stranger to tits, and ass though, I mean, have you seen KLK?

1382079073088.gif

I just hope the T&A plays a role in the show like it did with Kill la Kill. It wouldn't be all that ground breaking for a mecha to have some sexual themes. Aquarion was all about orgasming mecha pilots. This episode had some moments that could have been plain fan service or they could be something more. I just don't want her swimming naked to be meaningless service, but it probably was.

Episode 1
Eh. I predicted that this would be on the level of Captain Earth, but it has more going for it than that. Mecha is full of tropes, but this is derivative even so. There are a lot of visual references to EVA, TTGL, KLK, and other shit that I can't remember due to sleep deprivation. Pink haired girl seems like a blend of Asuka/Unit 02 thematically, and Anemone personality-wise. At least her boobs flop around independently of each other, which is always impressive.

MC-kun is terrible bland. Remember when anime had memorable male protagonists? Fucking misandry, is what this is.

I dig the designs of the world and the music. Props for not wasting time on exposition but instead show us some veeeeerrryyyy form-fitting uniforms. Gotta focus on the important things.

I just hope the T&A plays a role in the show like it did with Kill la Kill. It wouldn't be all that ground breaking for a mecha to have some sexual themes. Aquarion was all about orgasming mecha pilots. This episode had some moments that could have been plain fan service or they could be something more. I just don't want her swimming naked to be meaningless service, but it probably was.

Yeah, I honestly hated that too, with the pink haired girl.
The only acceptable tits, and ass here, are the fabulous robo, tits, and ass, fuck everything else.

Back