Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor

Hei was a bad ass killing machine (Black Reaper) without his powers so he's not too much at a disadvantage (if he stops drinking i suppose :P) - Want to see him back zapping people tho

Well, I just ended ep. 04

I'm so dissapointed... The first three eps was so great and then this was like :...:. Hei drinking a lot, Suou, July and Mao doing unnecesary silly things and everything becomes normal... Maybe the colaboration of the contractors with Kirihara was the most significant matter

My Hei character rant:

This season is really disappointing me. I am a HUGE fan of series 1, and have pimped it to so many of my friends. The thing that always had me coming back was the dichotomy of Hei's character- wearing so many masks and playing so many roles that who he truly is gets lost. The finale of series one was so poignant to me..

Season 1 spoiler -
but it only works when we see him genuinely care about the individuals in all the little arcs. Yes, he is a cold blooded, badass killer - but episodes like the "fake date" with Kirihara and his genuine mourning for Havoc made him such a great character.

This season, it's like they threw away one half of his dichotomy. He's just a cold-blooded killer, and he is also a child abuser/molester for the heck of it, too. It's getting old.

I want him to get a haircut, rediscover that part of himself that got lost,
and get his powers back
. I'm really hoping that Bones does EVENTUALLY go this route - and they're making him such a despicable character so that his redemption is even stronger.

because at this point, I'm starting to hate him. and that makes me sad. =(

True words klm, pretty much exactly how I'm feeling about this season so far, it's not just Hei either.
Who knows, the characters might get more interesting / deepen a bit later on, but I'm not really feeling it yet.

Cool, we finally get to find out where those 3 people are from

OMFG 6:40 was SO FREAKING FUNNY. I loved their looks! "Smiling isn't in my program"

Hei should have her do pilates! She'll strengthen her core muscles!

Ahhh mao being chased by a cat was perfect

Anyway, episode just finished.

klm, I really think that is what they are trying to do. Part of S1 was about its mystery but they can't just leave for instance what happened to Yin a mystery. I think this build up is important.

I am enjoying this overall though still it is definitely very different from S1 but still very striking.

I also think that this season will focus more on the emotions of contractors. I mean look at the ending scene of the episode where Shion explicitly asks if contractors lose their emotions then says "I hate you". In the context of the anime, it is a very profound statement that the anime straight up acknowledges contractor's emotions. While implied in S1, it was never explicitly stated

I also think that this season will focus more on the emotions of contractors. I mean look at the ending scene of the episode where Shion explicitly asks if contractors lose their emotions then says "I hate you". In the context of the anime, it is a very profound statement that the anime straight up acknowledges contractor's emotions. While implied in S1, it was never explicitly stated

See, I disagree.

The emotions of contractors and dolls was a huge focus of season 1. In season one, there were no questions. There was no Suou to sit there and say, "Am I losing my emotions?" and "I'm not supposed to have any emotions." All there was were secondary characters or minor characters basically calling contractors killing machines with no emotions, there was no third perspective.

And despite all that was said, you still saw time and time again emotions from both dolls and contractors. As I said, I don't think there stressing more on emotions (yet), It's just they brought in another perspective.

And with that said, episode 4 was pretty good. I liked the training bits, but my favorite part had to be the ending. Man, that was an amazing scene, very powerful. *wonders when Hei will stop being an ass*

P.S. Guess this show is also a coming of age for Suou lol. I thought she was older, I guess not. That guy that has the hots for her needs to be arrested, shes like what, 11, 12?

I'm masochistic, so I watched this episode RAW even though I really only follow the major plot points. Lost out on a lot of nuance that I KNOW was happening based on facial expressions. So, I'll make a more detailed post when the sub comes out, but I have to say..

I quite literally giggled with joy when Hei put down the bottle and sat to eat with Suou. He even chomped it down like old times and asked for more

I definitely enjoyed the 5th episode. It's pretty rare that I actually watch an anime as it's being released as I usually don't have the patience for it, but so far I'm definitely not disappointed. I can't wait for the 6th episode.

I definitely am glad to see a bit of the old Hei showing up :)

This season, it's like they threw away one half of his dichotomy. He's just a cold-blooded killer, and he is also a child abuser/molester for the heck of it, too. It's getting old.

I want him to get a haircut, rediscover that part of himself that got lost,
and get his powers back
. I'm really hoping that Bones does EVENTUALLY go this route - and they're making him such a despicable character so that his redemption is even stronger.

because at this point, I'm starting to hate him. and that makes me sad. =(

I personally have felt like the alcoholic, unshaven, emotionless Hei is just another mask that he wears. Instead of deceiving his syndicate's target this time, he's deceiving his employers. It's just a feeling, but in any case I wouldn't give up hope on Hei yet, especially after
eating with suou
. Plus, they've been hinting that he's not just heartless throughout, like
when he saved suou

Well, thus far Darker than Black 2 has been a blast. Animation is steller, like always from BONES, music is awesome. I didn't think that Yoko Kanno did a great job (Lately she's been sucking. >.>) in Darker than Black. So this is a great change of pace. The opening and ending songs are steller, the ending is the best though. Abington Boys School!~

Oh, and Hei is somehow hotter to me then in the first season. >.> Wat?

Suou... I like. She's a lot more better then those moe, loli, and useless heroines like I'm used to seeing lately. Her aim with the gun is hell of a lot better then mine.

I want Suou and Hei to end up together. OH GOD, WHY ME?!

Most Recent Episode (can't remember the #)

Happy Yin is making a return. Hei better save her, nao.

Also glad Hei is starting to return (extremely slowly, but still) to his older self. He doesn't hit Suou anymore, and agreed with Suou's deal to not drink alcohol anymore. But... he needs his powers, majorly.

I want Suou and Hei to end up together. OH GOD, WHY ME?!

huh? i can't go with that. How old is Suou? 12? not a match i would like to see. (besides he's clearly meant for Kirihara)

lol

As for the 2nd season... it's alright. i hate the shift in narrative style (season 1 was done with a "film noir" style). it really is robbing DtB of it's flavor so to speak. Its devolved into a stylized common shounen, which while interesting isn't all that remarkable.

I will agree with you about the opening theme... it's a good one... I'm not so keen on the closing theme though.

Fun anime... but all it's doing is making me nostalgic for (and make me want to watch) season 1 again.

First season and second season are both film noir, there both crime dramas that are pretty bleak, I mean really, the only "happy moments" so far in season 2 is when Hei doesn't hit Suou. The only difference is season one was built on 2-3 episode arcs and we followed (for the most part) Hei and Kirihara. The second season is a constant series, and the narrative is split between Hei, Kirihara, and Suou.

I also wouldn't categorize this as Shounen but as seinen. The action, while great, is so brief. 95% of each episode is set to talking and over all drama going about. Don't know how you could call it a shounen really.

I agree though, he should never be with Suou, unless like an older brother type deal. She had her first period last episode, so shes like 12. Geez, and I was creeped out with that one kid liking Suou.

the 2nd season is hardly film noir...

too bright, too light, not sexy and the pacing is all wrong for it. They made a concerted effort in season 1 to make it film noir... season 2 isn't it.

true... it's a solid coherent plot, as opposed to the quasi-episodic nature of season one.

Oh well... it's not worth arguing over... i'm not a fan so much of season 2... yet. That's not to say i'm not enjoying watching it... just i'm not liking it like season one (but then i'm a sucker for film noir)

You're right this is a seinen, not a shoenen.

And you're also right, that kid liking Suou was creepy enough. The idea of 30+ yo Hei is worse...

the 2nd season is hardly film noir...

too bright, too light, not sexy and the pacing is all wrong for it. They made a concerted effort in season 1 to make it film noir... season 2 isn't it.

true... it's a solid coherent plot, as opposed to the quasi-episodic nature of season one.

Oh well... it's not worth arguing over... i'm not a fan so much of season 2... yet. That's not to say i'm not enjoying watching it... just i'm not liking it like season one (but then i'm a sucker for film noir)

You're right this is a seinen, not a shoenen.

And you're also right, that kid liking Suou was creepy enough. The idea of 30+ yo Hei is worse...

Ah I see, you just liked the aesthetic look of film noir, not the content? Even then, I'd still hardly classify DtB (any season) as Film Noir. If I were to give an example, Big O would be film Noir, in fact that would be a perfect example. DtB is hardly Film Noir, except for the fact that most of his missions were at night time, so the colors carried a darker tone. The idea of Film Noir is pretty vague itself, but when I think of it, I think of 1950's detective/crime dramas (such as Big O).

I'd also say the second season is far darker than the first. The plot, the characters, they are by far bleaker, everything about them is.

Welp. Six eps in and the pacing hasn't really picked up at all, for shame! Other than that I'm sure as hell digging it, not that there's much else beside FMA:B to watch right now...

Does anyone here know the artist and title of the song from ep. 6 ..
that starts when Hei is cooking and asks Suou to "stop shooting", and continues through to the end
.. by chance?! I freaking LOVED it and I seldom go in for jpop/jtrop/jflop/jhop/etc.

Thanks in advance if someone knooooows and can share~!

Ah I see, you just liked the aesthetic look of film noir, not the content? Even then, I'd still hardly classify DtB (any season) as Film Noir. If I were to give an example, Big O would be film Noir, in fact that would be a perfect example. DtB is hardly Film Noir, except for the fact that most of his missions were at night time, so the colors carried a darker tone. The idea of Film Noir is pretty vague itself, but when I think of it, I think of 1950's detective/crime dramas (such as Big O).

I'd also say the second season is far darker than the first. The plot, the characters, they are by far bleaker, everything about them is.

DtB (season 1) was as film noir as 12 Monkeys or Gattaca... and they threw away all pretense of being anything but film noir in season 1 when they did the detective Kurasawa filler eps... which were 100% pure unadulterated (traditional) Film Noir style episodes... all be it more of a parody version, which was even funnier when you got down to it.

Its the style and presentation of film noir that i love... if you look at my top 10 favorite movies of all time 7 of them could be called film noirs (Blade Runner, 12 Monkeys, Gattaca, Dark City, Reservoir Dogs, Heat and Raging Bull).... all be it varying forms of film noir

She's 15/16. =/ It's pretty much clear as day too, with her apperence and all.

Uh, unless each episode is progressing 2-3 years, she is like 11-12. She had her first period two episodes ago. I'm not an expert in puberty/woman's menstrual cycles, but I know girls begin puberty around 11 years of age.

Really enjoyed the episode and liking the way its heading.

Also just watched the 3min short regarding the 4 Episode OVA that is coming out with the DVD release of this season. Looks like it's going to be damn good season 1 style DtB while letting us know what happened between S1 & S2 :)

Back