Daily Manga Thoughts 2: The Return

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/satougashi-no-dangan-wa-uchinukenai

I read this story recently and somehow it wasn't quite what I expected it to be... It's been awhile since a short-ish story left an emotional impact on me like this. I think it's largely because, for whatever reason, I didn't expect the ending and it kind of veered left for me. I think with the warning I'm giving, people will kind of get the ending before it happens but it caught me offguard.

Quite a heavy read. Well done execution. And yet... I was disappointed, a bit.

Still, it's something that surprised me which rarely happens for me these days, and I do find myself thinking about the story afterward.

As for something else short, https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/my-broken-mariko I read this recently and quite liked it. It's to the point about dealing with the aftermath of someone's suicide, but I just felt it was a very tidy, complete look that was efficient about its use of time and drama.

As for something else short, https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/my-broken-mariko I read this recently and quite liked it. It's to the point about dealing with the aftermath of someone's suicide, but I just felt it was a very tidy, complete look that was efficient about its use of time and drama.

Oh, I really liked My Broken Mariko. The art style seemed particularly apt to the story being told, but all of it was well done. I hope we can get something else by Waka Hirako in the future, though it seems like she's still very early in her career.

DMT: I foolishly (since I'm easily freaked out by anything but the lightest of horror) picked up Junji Ito's Shiver from the library recently, thinking that it might be nice to read something of Ito's since people are always talking about how good his work is. And yeah, it was good but the blimp story in that collection has done me in today, I can't read any more. I'm done now. Please just give me only the light horror with no murder blimps, I am far too delicate for anything more.

DMT: I foolishly (since I'm easily freaked out by anything but the lightest of horror) picked up Junji Ito's Shiver from the library recently, thinking that it might be nice to read something of Ito's since people are always talking about how good his work is. And yeah, it was good but the blimp story in that collection has done me in today, I can't read any more. I'm done now. Please just give me only the light horror with no murder blimps, I am far too delicate for anything more.
Oh... oh, god... it's the holes... the holes...

If I didn't know better I'd assume Shonan Junai Gumi was written by an incel. I'm just toughing through it because I wanna make my way up to the GTO manga.

Today I've looked bit into Dragon Ball super, because I was curious how it continues after the part, where the anime ended. But to my surprise even the last anime arc in the manga is quite different. I'm going to read it from the beginning. It shouldn't be problem difficulty seems quite low.

DMT: Just finished Hinamatsuri and Attaque today. Hinamatsuri is basically just high school kids being manga high school kids, being OP and having careers. Hinamtsuri is a fucking treasure.
While Attaque has high school kids being chuuni's. I regret a lot of things in life but I really really regret reading Attaque. It's one of those manga that their MC just pisses you off in the first few chapters.

DMT: I ordered an anthology series from Amazon yesterday while I was at work and it already arrived. Problem is, they gave me two volumes of Vol. 4 instead of the full five volume set (Vol. 2 was missing), so I have to bring the extra volume to the UPS store tomorrow on my way to work to return it and get Vol. 2 sent to me. Thank God for face masks, cause otherwise it'd be an...interesting experience showing my face in the store in a full business suit handing this fucking book with two raunchy demon girls on the cover to the clerk.

Just spent the morning reading all the released chapters of Kaiju #8, on the recommendation of @BrainBlow. I've not had this much fun with man punches big things in a long while.
Glad you liked it! I figured it was a good fit for you.
It's a series that seems to have so many familiar genre tropes that one should feel it's trite and unoriginal, but instead the execution and writing is practically perfect so far.
------

DMT: Phantom Seer actually got cancelled. Huh.
I thought it was doing well, but apparently not.
Not a huge loss for me, but feels odd that I just recently started vibing with it a bit after being bored for so long, and then it ends.

I borrowed a copy of the second vol of the Syrup yuri anthologies from the library for a story by one particular artist, not having too much hope for anything else promising because all the yuri anthologies I've read have ended up disappointing me a bit, and then I got a story about an anthropomorphized parasitic wasp kissing an anthropomorphized caterpillar that ended with the wasp waving farewell to her new wasp baby who'd fed on the caterpillar in her chrysalis.

Have to say, I did not have "forbidden romance between insects" on my reading list bingo card, nor "one half of the pair just... murders? the other one by laying her eggs in her offscreen bc parasitic wasp gonna parasitic wasp". I can't say as I want to read any more insect romance any time soon, but it sure does make for a nice change from schoolgirls holding hands. I might consider borrowing the third vol if the library gets it, just to see if anyone else sneaks in some patently weird shit.

But it's dumb fucking ass shit with troll ass translations that truly heighten the experience of said dumb fucking ass shit.
Man, troll/parody translations are my favourite. They give so much flair to droll stories.

Stuff like R402 is boring as batshit played straight, but the parody translation for it is hilarious. Like, a story about some woman seducing a guy into a web of lies sounds like a snooze-fest, but a erotic thriller that rips into itself with ridiculous accents and Brexit references? Hell yeah, now we're getting somewhere!

There's a lot of other dumb as hell thrillers out there without a drop of humour in them that would benefit from a troll translation, just sayin'. :laugh:

DMT:

Reading Love After World Domination because people were making a pretty big fuss about this anime adaptation announcement, a few chapters in and it's.............pretty cute. Think I'm going to die from the sugar rush.

Back