Daily Manga Thoughts 2: The Return

In the same vein as me waiting for Berserk to end before reading it, I just had the equally silly thought of wishlisting the volumes until it ends but then I might end up with a wishlist that's 40% Berserk volumes.

DMT: Well Ragna Crimson just lost me if the most recent chapter's cheap tragedy bait sticks. That wasn't anything narratively interesting, that was shock value for shock value's sake at the cost of basically 50% of the reason to remain interested.

I share the same opinion where I prefer the HunterxHunter anime over the manga. I read the manga last year and it was definitely enjoyable and a good way to refresh on the finer plot details, but the art definitely gets rough in places. The fact it's also riddled with so many hiatuses and the latest arc has been a bit of a slog, I'd say it's not worth collecting and spending $330+ on.

DMT: Reading the new chapter of Kaiju #8 be like
tumblr_inline_pio7dxkQDG1uwf7l4_540.gif

DMT: Since its my birthday today, I decided to binge read the rest of the Shigurui manga. But damn, I was not expecting the story to play out like that, but then again, revenge is never simple or clean cut.
And its hard not to forget that this is ancient Japan, where the samurai always obey those in power. Such was the case with Sasahara, when he was ordered by Tadanaga to murder Urita and his wife. The reason didn't even feel that good to begin with, scapegoating someone for a supposed spy. It was interesting seeing Irako helping Fujiki out of his coma.

And then there was finally the real swords tournament. Make that more of a speed run since the only match that is shown was Irako and Fujiki's. After pulling a feint, Fujiki pretty much sword grinds through Irako and bisects him. What happens next is morbid, since Fujiki is ordered to cut Irako's head off to put on display.

And I think this is the reason why Mie committed suicide towards the end. She was reminded of how Fujiki obeyed in the same way he held her arm down to allow Irako to rape her at the Kogan dojo(which doesn't actually happen of course, but its still kind of fucked up). She probably felt like she couldn't love someone who always obeyed those in power(But at the same time, that's the kind of mindset Fujiki always grew up with). Mie was always struggling with her mental health during the story, but I think this was the last straw for her.

What a depressing end to Fujiki's quest for revenge. Its sad, but its also powerful at the same time. Glad I invested into the manga after the anime. While it did feel a bit stretched and shounen-y, Shigurui is still awesome. And it succeeded at being more depressing than Berserk, now that's an achievement.

DMT:
Feels lifting to know about a plot element in the newest Attack on Titan manga chapter(138) that I didn't know about. But it gives the series a new feeling that I never felt before and it feels depressing, like a case of the sad feels.

DMT: Instead of catching up on classy, intellectual, good series, I'm reading Zombie darake no Kono Sekai de wa Sex shinai to Ikinokorenai. As you can see by the title, there's sex. And zombies. But surprisingly, no zombie sex. You just have to have sex to repel the zombies, think it's all about the climax or busting one, but it HAS to be sex, like from the pheromones or some shit but who cares about that science behind it when it has sex, zombies, comedy, sex, titties, sex and sex. And fetishes.

Basically it's trash. But on par with a lot of the shit I read.

Back