Daily Anime Thoughts

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but isn't the story and the characters the main drive force? If the only good thing about a show is how it looks then it might not be so great to begin with.
Unfortunately in Biscuit Hammer's case we don't even have an episode count. They said it would adapt the manga "until the end" but as someone who's read the manga I don't think that can be done in 12 episodes and based on the trailers/lack of announcement on episode count when this is just about to air I have a really bad feeling.

Based on how slapped together this looks (which suggests poor production to me) I don't think it's going to do the story justice. Which really sucks cause I loved the manga and I was hoping for quite a while that we'd get a good adaptation.

DAT:
330f204b7ffe99bd84048d4d7a4bb8a3e29e91af.jpg

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but isn't the story and the characters the main drive force? If the only good thing about a show is how it looks then it might not be so great to begin with.
The story and characters are good but I’m honestly just fearing a golden kamuy situation where the execution and direction is mediocre, they could end up cutting material too, which can spoil an adaptation and take away from it. Why even watch the anime if it’s an inferior product to the manga.

The story and characters are good but I’m honestly just fearing a golden kamuy situation where the execution and direction is mediocre, they could end up cutting material too, which can spoil an adaptation and take away from it. Why even watch the anime if it’s an inferior product to the manga.
But GK kinda works on its own, though. It's worse than the manga for sure, but it's not bad, if you don't know the source.

It seems rather cheeky on Crunchyroll's end to get rid of season 1 of Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? as per Sentai's licensing but still keep seasons 2 and 3. Also it's rather confusing that Natsume's Book of Friends' first 3 seasons are on one page but seasons 4-6 get their own individual pages.

I’ve said this a few times but one of the main reasons why Biscuit Hammer is so loved and what it’s known for, is it’s amazing action. The characters are good but everyone has been waiting to see all that action in animated glory and looking all fluid and cool. Not like…this.
DAT:

New 2nd biscuit hammer trailer released:

So we're essentially two weeks out from the anime's release.......................and oh my god, I can't say my mind's changed very much from watching this new one. It still looks really super fucking cheap and rough, I'm in full despair/panic mode and I find it hard to have any hope left for this. Those fucking atrocious still frames.
I’m still gonna try to watch it, it doesn’t look atrocious but this also isn’t what I wanted to see after waiting for so long….it’s really disappointing

That insinuates that the visuals play no part in the story and characters, which in nonsensical for a visual medium.
How the visuals are used is a major part of how many series tell their stories. The main reason the Junji Ito Collection anime flopped was because it completely and utterly either disregarded or misunderstood the carefully crafted visual story language of Junji Ito's manga pages. Huge parts of the stories straight up vanished despite "technically" nothing being cut or altered from them, but the garbage scene direction, color and animation caused so much of the visual storytelling to not translate at all.

That insinuates that the visuals play no part in the story and characters, which in nonsensical for a visual medium.
How the visuals are used is a major part of how many series tell their stories. The main reason the Junji Ito Collection anime flopped was because it completely and utterly either disregarded or misunderstood the carefully crafted visual story language of Junji Ito's manga pages. Huge parts of the stories straight up vanished despite "technically" nothing being cut or altered from them, but the garbage scene direction, color and animation caused so much of the visual storytelling to not translate at all.
To be fair, his drawings look hard to animate right since they are so detailed. But there’s definitely a way to do it, the Collection just wasn’t it. I didn’t even bother watching it after seeing a trailer and I was like “I’ll stick with the manga, it’s more spooky.”

I’m still gonna try to watch it, it doesn’t look atrocious but this also isn’t what I wanted to see after waiting for so long….it’s really disappointing
The fact they didn't have the opening theme song, at least be The Pillows song is a crime against humanity to me.

Speaking Ito I hope the Netflix series is kinder to his work. I think the Uzumaki adaptation is in good hands, but I'd like to see both series do well and do his work justice.

I’m glad they’re doing Tomie again because man I was unbelievably fucking pissed how Deen handled that.

Oh right SHAFT is capable of stylish animation. The first three episodes of RWBY is basically a truncated version of Hunter exam. It goes quick, but if the show is going to skip past a lot of training/school life stuff, then I am good with that. The episodes do a decent enough job introducing the cast. The personalities are stock archetypes, but everyone has unique powers that are easy to pick out so it's not hard to keep everyone straight until they start to hopefully grow a bit more personality.

Oh right SHAFT is capable of stylish animation. The first three episodes of RWBY is basically a truncated version of Hunter exam. It goes quick, but if the show is going to skip past a lot of training/school life stuff, then I am good with that. The episodes do a decent enough job introducing the cast. The personalities are stock archetypes, but everyone has unique powers that are easy to pick out so it's not hard to keep everyone straight until they start to hopefully grow a bit more personality.
I was pretty surprised to see you liked it! I remember your post about the original show a while back, I'm glad the anime is going better for you. I hope it keeps being good! Also what's kind of interesting is that the runtime of episodes 1-3 of the anime is pretty close to the actual runtime of Volume 1 (volume 1 is about an hour and a half compared to just over an hour for the anime)

Also, Penny reminds me of another redhead robot girl.

ADjYGeT.gif
Here's a part they cut from episode 3 of the anime:

To be fair, his drawings look hard to animate right since they are so detailed. But there’s definitely a way to do it, the Collection just wasn’t it. I didn’t even bother watching it after seeing a trailer and I was like “I’ll stick with the manga, it’s more spooky.”
Sure, but that wasn't where the deficiencies primarily lay. The composition itself was way off.
Ito draws a page of a family breakfast to be claustrophobic with forced perspective making the other people in the scene seem to wall-in the MC, conveying her having a quiet and dreadful realization about her family.
The anime completely changed the perspective and just made it a generic breakfast scene. Such stuff has literally nothing to do with the actual animation. Ther anime was packed with stuff like that. Ito is a genius not just at the gory, nitty gritty details, but also where something is on the page, how it's showed in relation to everything else, and in what order it's portrayed.
------------------------------------------

DAT: I remember I years ago made a comment here about how I'm excited for the inevitability of utaite artists becoming more involved with anime music.
And then somehow I didn't realize that that first Jujutsu Kaisen OP's music was done by EVE.

My old niconico folder has loads of entries from him. I've followed him for like 8 years and didn't realize he was already in this.
I am a slowpoke

DAT: I really ended up crushing this anime season. I haven't done a full 8 anime season in awhile, and this season had 9 seasonal anime (film and TV, to be fair) that I watched, along with a few older shows that don't count on the seasonal challenge. Spy X Family and Love After World Domination were the MVP's of this season for me, while Kaguya-Sama Season 3, which I thought would be the MVP, had a kind of rough season. It was good, but it was just good, not great.

Next season seems like its going to probably be a lot smaller season for me, but I'm really excited for Fuuto PI and Overlord Season 4, and there is one or two other shows I'll be trying out (because I need at least one other show, the seasonal challenge really has increased my general anime consumption).

I was pretty surprised to see you liked it! I remember your post about the original show a while back, I'm glad the anime is going better for you. I hope it keeps being good! Also what's kind of interesting is that the runtime of episodes 1-3 of the anime is pretty close to the actual runtime of Volume 1 (volume 1 is about an hour and a half compared to just over an hour for the anime)

I've mellowed out in the last couple of years. I didn't care for the OG series, but there was nothing much to hate about it either. It was a dream passion project by a bunch of weebs. You can see the people making it loved anime and all its associated tropes. I think that's admirable especially considering they grew the project into something successful enough that it is getting a full season by a full fledged anime studio. I only really watched a handful of episodes when the show was still a little amateurish. Watching that Penny clip you posted I was a little surprised that the CG wasn't as bad as I remember. There is plenty of stuff from the same time period that looks worse.

Of course I still would have ignored this if it wasn't being done by Shaft and Urobutcher. I would like this to turn out well because I'd like to see a resurgence of Shaft. I want some more of their madcap comedies. There is really nothing coming out quite like Maria Holic or Arakawa Under the Bridge or Zetsubou-Sensei. I think (I know dangerous words) that this will do well in sales because the original series was fairly popular in Japan and it has a built in western fanbase.

Now that I said all that the rest of the episodes will be drawn in crayon and Urobutcher will hand off directing duties to a tanuki.

DAT: I remember I years ago made a comment here about how I'm excited for the inevitability of utaite artists becoming more involved with anime music.
And then somehow I didn't realize that that first Jujutsu Kaisen OP's music was done by EVE.

My old niconico folder has loads of entries from him. I've followed him for like 8 years and didn't realize he was already in this.
I am a slowpoke
You are kinda late to the party but at least you got there.
Which reminds me I need more EVE. [Yes, I pretend bubble movie doesn't exist]

Back