Daily Anime Thoughts

Konosuba s3 and megumin spin-off announced
yes-wwe.gif

Man, finally. Megumin spin-off might be too much of a good thing but I love her so who cares.

Um, I had no idea Urusei Yatsura is receiving a shiny new adaptation. That's pretty cool and the picked VAs are a dream so far. I didn't watch Rin-ne but I've been missing Rumiko Takahashi's stuff in general.

Last edited:
DAT: Revolutionary Girl Utena is fucking wild. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have been. But it's just so hammy, and, like, in a good way. I'm just finding all of the melodrama hilarious, and it's keeping me really entertained. There's the absolutely nonsensical lyrics. And the student council president. Oh my god. And the opening and ending themes are both just total bops.

Also, Utena just gets points for being a badass good girl. We love to see it.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Konosuba s3 and megumin spin-off announced
yes-wwe.gif
A new studio, Drive, is taking over from Studio Deen. Drive is pretty new but don't have a good track record for what they do have so far, which is worrying me. On the bright side, Takaomi Kanasaki, the director of all the previous KonoSuba stuff is returning which is what I was most worried about. They were able to turn what I would think would be a crummy mobile game anime into KonoSuba light.

I'm still mostly excited, just been burned too many times by things I like getting studio changes for the worse. Maybe this and season 2 of To Your Eternity will boost studio Drive and change my opinion. Here's hoping.

DAT: Revolutionary Girl Utena is fucking wild. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have been. But it's just so hammy, and, like, in a good way. I'm just finding all of the melodrama hilarious, and it's keeping me really entertained. There's the absolutely nonsensical lyrics. And the student council president. Oh my god. And the opening and ending themes are both just total bops.

Also, Utena just gets points for being a badass good girl. We love to see it.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

And yet the series is almost tame compared to the batshit movie. If you enjoy the series, then you definitely need to watch Adolescence of Utena afterwards. It's a retelling of the series that goes full bore on the surrealism and ends up in a completely different unexpected place. I love both the series and the movie, but I slightly prefer the movie for the beautiful visuals and animation along with watching the characters kinda stripped down to their essence.

A new studio, Drive, is taking over from Studio Deen. Drive is pretty new but don't have a good track record for what they do have so far, which is worrying me. On the bright side, Takaomi Kanasaki, the director of all the previous KonoSuba stuff is returning which is what I was most worried about. They were able to turn what I would think would be a crummy mobile game anime into KonoSuba light.

I'm still mostly excited, just been burned too many times by things I like getting studio changes for the worse. Maybe this and season 2 of To Your Eternity will boost studio Drive and change my opinion. Here's hoping.

I really don't understand the doom and gloom towards studio Drive honestly, they're doing the Uzumaki Junji Itou adaptation which they've been working on for awhile and it looks bloody fucking brilliant to me so far animation wise judging by this clip doing it entirely in black and white:

Also, they did Vlad Love, and that show looked pretty good as well. They've been really proving themselves lately. I'm fairly confident and optimistic, they'll do a solid job with Konosuba.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the doom and gloom towards studio Drive honestly, they're doing the Uzumaki Junji Itou adaptation which they've been working on for awhile and it looks bloody fucking brilliant to me so far animation wise judging by this clip doing it entirely in black and white:

Also, they did Vlad Love, and that show looked pretty good as well. They've been really proving themselves lately. I'm fairly confident and optimistic, they'll do a solid job with Konosuba.
I wouldn't quite say I'm solely targeting Drive as the reason for my worries, any studio change would give me the same thought. I'll admit that it being a new studio as well as having their highest rated show (at least on AP) only getting a 3.3 while the second highest is 2.7 makes me think most people don't like what they've put out so far.

Have I watched or even heard of those anime? No, so I don't put too much weight in that part. I didn't realize they were doing the Uzumaki adaption either which does look promising, but I wouldn't say they have proved themselves based off what's to come.

I'm sure I sound less optimistic than I actually am. I'm nowhere close to brushing studio Drive off, their sample size is just too low for me to do so. I can say I prefer KonoSuba going to this studio than something like J.C.Staff who I was truly afraid would get it after producing the movie as well as the creators other work Combatants will be Dispatched. I dread adding another anime to the list they've taken and made less enjoyable.

Lobotomite Isekai was pretty fun for a mobile game adaptation, but that's mostly because I strongly relate to the protagonist, being a vegetable and all.

Should I watch the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Die Neue These or one after the other?
watch both in either order, they both have something of value to offer. Die neue these is a more accurate adaptation of the novels and looks amazing visually, but is still ongoing, releasing new episodes even as we speak, while the original is actually finished. And it has that old anime charm.

Should I watch the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Die Neue These or one after the other?
I would say go for the original first (?) I am afraid you might get used to the new visuals and the old adaptation might look weird to you. Despite the fact that I personally started with 2018 version when it aired and it took me 2years to go back to the original since the 2nd season took a while....thanks Covid. However, if you are used to 80-90s animation, go ahead and start with the re-adaptation and go back to the old one if you are interested to see the full story sooner since the re-adaptation will probably take another 2years to finish.

The readaptation is great, but the old one still holds a special place in my heart.
[Yang '88 is great. ok.]

I would say go for the original first (?) I am afraid you might get used to the new visuals and the old adaptation might look weird to you. Despite the fact that I personally started with 2018 version when it aired and it took me 2years to go back to the original since the 2nd season took a while....thanks Covid. However, if you are used to 80-90s animation, go ahead and start with the re-adaptation and go back to the old one if you are interested to see the full story sooner since the re-adaptation will probably take another 2years to finish.
I went with die neue these first too and it didnt take away from the og for me.

I went with die neue these first too and it didnt take away from the og for me.
Yeye, it will depend on each ones preference.
and I did edit my post right before you replied kek.
The readaptation is great, but the old one still holds a special place in my heart.
[Yang '88 is great. ok.]
I really love the new yang, but the old yang still hits different.

Huh, that actually looks fun. Is purple-haired midriff tomboy catgirl in it? Why? No reason.

I think the amount of willingness you have to watch a lot of episodes is the biggest factor.
With that out, I think there's an argument to be made for seeing the new series first. Then a lot of things about it won't annoy you as much as it does for OG watchers.
Then, later, you can watch the OG and appreciate what it did differently and often better.
As for the OG series, regardless of what order you watch it, I recommend first watching the Overture to a New War movie and then skip the first couple episodes to where the movie leaves off.
But it's a bit rough to readjust from the movie's art and animation... still, brilliant series. It's so weird in how I could write a whole thesis of nitpicks and annoying things about it, yet in the end I still concluded it was a 5/5.

DAT:

I love hearing Kansai accents in anime, it’s cocaine for me.
I don't speak Japanese, but the weebiest I get is that I recognize the kansai accent by myself.

Reminds me, WHERE IS MY GODDAMN SILVER SPOON SEASON 3?
That one really got shafted by the author's family health issues, I think. It became hard to plan any potential future seasons when they couldn't know when it would conclude, and it wasn't quite big enough of a series to just be put on ice in the anime scene where public attention is concerned.
She's working on a new series now, though. A pretty brutal one at that.
-------------------------------------------------

DAT: I'm sometimes worried a series might be too "Japan-specific" to catch on elsewhere, and then in turn I worry that it might reduce the chances of it getting an anime adaptation, or that it will be a deprioritized on where studio selection is concerned.
At this point, for example, I'm worried that might be the case for The Elusive Samurai, which is certainly doing well enough in Japan itself in Weekly Shounen Jump to be anime-certain, especially since it's by the creator of Assassination Classroom.
Hell, at this point I think it's better than Assassination Classroom was. But it's focus on Japanese history, and a part of Japanese history obscure outside of Japan at that, does make me worry it would fall into this.
The western market is certainly not a main priority, but it is not zero either in the slightest. In fact it's getting increasingly important as a revenue source.

Back