Daily Anime Thoughts

DAT: I haven't actually been watching anime (other than Shingeki no Kyojin of course) for a... couple of years now because my brain hates me, but lately I've been in the mood to get back into it.

I'm giving Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (A Place Further Than the Universe) a shot because I've heard good things about it and hey, Antarctica is pretty (kinda) close to me.

So far (3 episodes in), Yuzuki is my favourite but I like Shirase a lot too. The other two main girls aren't really my type but eh at least Kimari isn't as obnoxious as these kinds of protagonists tend to be (looking at Takami Chika in particular, lol).

I figure it's gonna get upsetting at some point. Which is good, because that's probably what I need at the moment.

DAT:

I do love Nihei’s artwork a lot, it’s just a shame his writing is so terrible and shaky with most of his work and plotting. He is not really a story guy. Outside of pretty much Blame, I really hate everything else.

DAT:

I was thinking about some of those edgy BL titles and Togainu no chi was a really bad anime but the OST still absolutely fucking RIPS in it's heaviness imo and is the only good thing about it:

I would expect nothing less, from the same person who composed the soundtrack to Needless. He knows how to get your blood BOILING and hype as fuck with this music.

Last edited:
DAT:

I was thinking about some of those edgy BL titles and Togainu no chi was a really bad anime but the OST still absolutely fucking RIPS in it's heaviness imo and is the only good thing about it:

I would expect nothing less, from the same person who composed the soundtrack to Needless. He knows how to get your blood BOILING and hype as fuck with this music.

Holy crap, you weren't kidding. I don't remember much of the soundtrack from that piece of shit, but this does slap. Kinda wish this guy was doing the music for Bisco because the bland metal soundtrack is the only thing about that anime not doing it for me.

DAT:

It's a shame that not a single BL title from that company has ever gotten a non shit adaptation, because honestly most of their titles video game wise are pretty edgy fun. I know people are hit or miss about it more than their other titles, and sure it's uh, def not perfect, but everything about Sweet Pool was so unique I was fascinated it was just a game that existed, aesthetically and conceptually.

Re: Togainu no Chi's anime, I always feel bitterness remembering it... I remember pre-release it had an OK looking trailer, and since it was so popular people thought they might get something okay-to-good that wasn't another Junjou Romantica mangaka adaptation. The hype was off the charts before its release.

And then, the first episode came out, it looked way worse than the trailers, and it was one of the worst BL ever made period. Forever pained.

DAT:

Trying to watch all of the (non-sequel) premiers of the seasonals for winter 2022 has just made me appreciate how hit and miss anime can be.

In unrelated news, I watched the first ep of Gensou Sangokushi: Tengen Reishinki.

I'm not going to dab on the story/plot/char introductions (although they all needed work) but I am going to say: when one of your scenes is a talking tea-cannister flying through the air and landing on someone's bosom... have you considered... not?

It's a shame that not a single BL title from that company has ever gotten a non shit adaptation, because honestly most of their titles video game wise are pretty edgy fun. I know people are hit or miss about it more than their other titles, and sure it's uh, def not perfect, but everything about Sweet Pool was so unique I was fascinated it was just a game that existed, aesthetically and conceptually.

Re: Togainu no Chi's anime, I always feel bitterness remembering it... I remember pre-release it had an OK looking trailer, and since it was so popular people thought they might get something okay-to-good that wasn't another Junjou Romantica mangaka adaptation. The hype was off the charts before its release.

And then, the first episode came out, it looked way worse than the trailers, and it was one of the worst BL ever made period. Forever pained.

I think the only decent like Nitroplus adaptation was Stein's gate, honestly well animated lurid dark edge is extremely hard to come by in anime, adding BL on top they give even less of a fuck and there's never particularly much investment in them. It's why I think I'm really looking forward to Chainsaw Man even more making a groundbreaking name for itself, because it's probably going to be the most well animated fun edgy gore mayhem since Hellsing Ultimate.

Last edited:
DAT:

On an animation note, I really can't help but be very amused we're having this steady trend of rom coms where the animation is just mind blowingly good for these simple premises. I'm loving this that they're going so overboard on it.
I have never seen rotoscoping in anime used as well as in Green Haired Office Midget anime.

I refuse to use the actual title. I think mine is better XD

This season is absolutely dreadful, absolutely nothing worth watching that isn't a continuation of a show from the previous season.

I guess I'll watch Shenmue the Animation when it comes out. I really need to know where all the sailors hang out.
Personally, I lowkey want to see him buy these little toys sold on the capsule machines (that was one of my favorite things to do when playing the game), but I doubt they'll show that. Then I'd like to see at the very least some other staples of this title, like Tom and the forklifts; in general I'd like to see those little slice-of-life type moments the game had included. I think however that it's more likely they'll only adapt the main scenario, perhaps with an emphasis on the fight scenes out of the source material (since these were present in the trailer iirc), and since said scenario wasn't anything special I try to not get my hopes too high. That said though, I'll also start watching it when it airs regardless since I'm curious how it'll turn out, and don't follow any other seasonals atm anyways.

Personally, I lowkey want to see him buy these little toys sold on the capsule machines (that was one of my favorite things to do when playing the game), but I doubt they'll show that. Then I'd like to see at the very least some other staples of this title, like Tom and the forklifts; in general I'd like to see those little slice-of-life type moments the game had included. I think however that it's more likely they'll only adapt the main scenario, perhaps with an emphasis on the fight scenes out of the source material (since these were present in the trailer iirc), and since said scenario wasn't anything special I try to not get my hopes too high. That said though, I'll also start watching it when it airs regardless since I'm curious how it'll turn out, and don't follow any other seasonals atm anyways.

I'm not saying there has to be an episode dedicated to forklift operation, but I am saying 0 out 10 if it doesn't.

Wut? They used rotoscoping in that? Like, where? I'm used to it being used in like, creepy horror, and the rotoscoping is usually part of the horror.
I can always tell rotoscoping is being used whenever I see the shadows on a character's clothing moving a little too realistically, and I saw that a couple times in that show. It's subtle in that because it's used so well.

I guess I'll watch Shenmue the Animation when it comes out. I really need to know where all the sailors hang out.
I'm sure he's going to ask about sailors at least once! One of the trailers showed the scene that the "looking for sailors" section leads to.

I think some of the slice of life stuff will be there but like you said, it's probably going to focus on the main story along with some new stuff. I'm actually really looking forward to any of the new details I can pick up on! I'm trying not to get my expectations up too high either since this is a video game adaptation that's trying to adapt two games after all, but I'm just happy to have more Shenmue content after Shenmue 3 since I doubt we'll be getting further games unless a miracle happens. In the grand scheme of things I hope this manages to be something that anyone can like rather than the love it or hate it nature of the games (on top of Shenmue 3 managing to be a divisive game among fans of an already divisive series).

I'm not saying there has to be an episode dedicated to forklift operation, but I am saying 0 out 10 if it doesn't.
You'll be happy to know that the trailer has a forklift!

I was thinking of just watching the Kamikaze Douga bit of it, since I like them so much, but that would require watching all the rest of the episodes too since it's all one entry and I don't drop.
:crying:
Each episode is isolated and unrelated to the others.

Back