Daily Anime Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Jamie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

Okay I’m tired of waiting. I’m watching Ranking of Kings now. Tired of listening to people talk about how great it is and trying to avoid spoilers online. I wanna see it!

update: 2 episodes in and I’ve already cried, this is gonna be something else I can tell you that. This is amazing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

I'm so proud of you:

[​IMG]

3. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

DAT:
    MP100 > > OPM

Nicknames, Franconator, Fargo and 8 others like this.
  4. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

I think that's an overall pretty common sentiment on this forum honestly.

5. Claptrap

@Gens
    Tbh, that's interesting! I wasn't sure if it was. I used to see a lot of people get upset at ONE for working on MP100 rather than OPM.

Forum has taste

Nicknames, Gens and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  6. Sajonji

Sajonji Well-Known Member

For me personally it would be OPM S1 >> MP100 >> OPM S2
    But maybe my impression is skewed a bit, OPM S1 was one of the first animes i watched.

Nicknames, Rascal and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  7. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Yep. One is a gag manga parodying superhero comics, the other is a character study on friendship, and the interplay between doing what's right and what it takes to survive.

Nicknames, Franconator, Vuh and 5 others like this.
  8. Claptrap

I agree. I feel there's so many themes in MP100 too, and it tackles so many things. On having belief in the people around you, on luck and circumstances, on being 'special', on relationships and their boundaries, it actually has a complicated spectrum on 'good and bad' and relationships that it explores a lot. It's really just packed with content.

Nicknames, Franconator, Fargo and 5 others like this.
  9. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

With OPM the first season had a lot of bang for its buck because it was being made by a dream team of animators and other staff that had a ton of passion for the project. Once it changed studios and the fancy pants animation was gone the show became pretty mediocre. Mob gets better going from season 1 to season 2. Plus, it's got studio Boners animation so both season are equally stylish and well animated.

I think the perception that OPM is more well known and liked comes from it being more digestible to western audiences since it's a parody of something the west is familiar with. It made a big splash and it was absolutely everywhere for a time. Now that time has settled and most people have moved on Mob's reputation will grow.

10. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

"Pacing? what's that?" -The people making Requiem for the Rose King apparently.

11. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

DAT:

Hearing Sayaka Ohara's voice in Requiem of the Rose King makes me want to read the Umineko VN again. Beatrice is always going to be her most defining role to me alongside Yuuko from xxxHolic.

12. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

I ought to do that too since it's been a full ten years. I never really did experience the "remastered" version of Umineko. I only read the OG sound novel with the charming OG Ryukishi07 sprites and artwork.

13. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

DAT:
    Back to binge watching Ranking of Kings again, I’m really trying to pace myself since every episode isn’t out yet but I’ve been going on little binges I can’t help it.

I now know what @Claptrap ‘s pfp means and idk if that makes it funny or depressing. Kind of both lol

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  14. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

DAT: Re-watching Rurouni Kenshin (not the crap filler though) and Gintama with the gf. It's about time she learned of the awesomeness that is the Kyoto Arc and she's been pestering me for a Gintama rewatch forever so here I go for a third time. Also guess I haven't looked at the anime list in a long-ass time because Tsuiokuhen now sits at #102 and I still remember it being in like the top 20 lol. Way too much hype shit dominating those now it seems.

Komi-san was the last new thing we watched and it was mildly amusing, then annoying after a while. Mostly felt like having seen it all before and better too. Still stuck in S2 of Iruma-kun because we kinda forgot about it along the way but what we watched has been quite nice.

Starletka, Taek, Hayane and 4 others like this.
  15. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Definitely hilarious. Domas is basically the Santa Claus.

16. BurntJelly

BurntJelly Well-Known Member

Oh gosh... you mean it gets worse? (thought it was already barely watchable)
    Maybe I'll just drop it this time?
    :cereal:

DAT:
    You know that Star Wars anime from the Summer 2021 season? ... If you thought Disney ruined Star Wars... well, this was worse.
    Of course I dropped it, but I still skipped through the episodes to see if there was anything interesting, nope.

17. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

I was thinking of just watching the Kamikaze Douga bit of it, since I like them so much, but that would require watching all the rest of the episodes too since it's all one entry and I don't drop.
    :crying:

18. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

DAT:

Meanwhile on the opposite spectrum of my BL shows, the 2nd episode of Sasaki to Miyano was even better than the first episode to me, as it didn't really jump around much with an upgrade to the pacing. This show is so fucking good for my soul.

19. Starra

Starra Well-Known Member

DAT:

With help from the very kind @Sajonji, the Anime-Planet Tag Generator has now been updated so that it directly links to each tag. There may still be a couple of kinks to work out, but it should be functional for the most part.

Thanks heaps again!