Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Jamie, Aug 31, 2010.
Just saw a guy get pimp smacked by a giant tuna. This season just peaked.
Love how everyone talking about the new season and I’m over here already thinking about my yearly summer rewatch of FLCL this year.
IS IT SUMMER YET?! I NEED IT!
and yes this restriction on watching it is very much self imposed but I don’t want it to ever lose its effect on me and that amazing magic of FLCL.
More anime need putting on badass outfits scenes outside of Magical Girl nonsense.
Now I'm just thinking about the Revue transformation sequence again
(which is definitely heavily magical girl influenced, esp since it's Ikuhara influenced, and Ikuhara is magical girl influenced, but which is pretty unique too)
D'awww, when your crush asks about your favorite media and you decide to let them know just how weird you really are.
Transformation scenes need more gratuitous hammy engrish:
AWAKE, JUDGEMENT, GUN MORPHING! FIGHT FOR JUUUUUSTIIIICEEEEEE!
after anime almost completely disappeared from tv programs in my country, they started again on one channel with an 'anime night' once per week with almost only ecchi shows (highschool dxd, Brynhildr in the Darkness and others i already forgot).
But recently they are getting more popular shows, in the past month i've seen AoT, Demon Slayer, Akudama Drive, Death Note, Astra Lost in Space, Bungo Stray Dogs on there. Last week they aired Promare movie.
Though i don't watch dubs, i am still happy for good anime shows being on tv here. Or at least better shows than generic ecchi
But did he pleasure himself with the fish?
DAT: Ugh, it's sad, but I'm realizing my lag issues when it comes to anime are intolerable to the point that I can't really bring myself to even watch anime I like unless they happen to hit some "excellence spot" in my brain which has no objective criteria to be met, particularly when it's an adaptation.
I think my brain is just too used to the speed at which I consume manga. Even something overall good quickly feels tedious, but then something my brain happens to find superb can be rewatched over and over.
DAT: I'm really enjoying Tsukikage Ran. Wandering samurai lady who just wants to get drunk. I can get behind that.
This season's really completely lacking much in the way of standout OPs/EDs I like that much. That said, I got the Sasaki to Miyano ED theme stuck in my head right now:
Just so good man in how infectiously upbeat it is. Easily my favourite anime theme I've listened to so far this season.
i'm enjoying requiem of the rose king and sasaki & miyano, but man both do have some pacing issues. I hope those are resolved because I do enjoy them so far
On rose king, I heard it crammed pretty much an entire volume from manga readers for one episode, which explains why it felt kind of fast paced. It's confirmed this show is only going to be 24 episodes, so that's going to be a pretty tight squeeze all things considered trying to cover like 80 chapters apparently and it will have to skip over things. But I'll reserve my judgement and wait to see how it goes first. I'm definitely going to pick up the manga after.
DAT: I was in a mood for an anime last night, and the first thing my brain threw at me was Aggretsuko, so I guess I'm catching up on that.
What's the point of watching ongoing stuff, when I'll just give up 5 episodes in, like always?
Honestly, the first vol of the manga is really fast paced too - it made my head spin when I first read it, especially without voices to distinguish similar-looking and -named characters. There is room to slow down after the establishing bits of the story and I think they will.
I think that censor would have been a lot better if it were animated like some sort of graphical glitch instead of the black, static scribble they used
Well, I think that's about all I'm gonna watch from Fall season besides the badminton anime but it's airing pretty late, so I will rank favourite first episodes:
1. Requiem of the Rose King - MELODRAMATIC GOTH CHEEEEEESSEEEEE, it's not even the most well animated show on my list but honestly it's so fabulous and caters to my taste so well, that it's actually number one.
2. My Dress-Up Darling - CloverWorks has achieved the pinnacle of rom com achievements, they got a bright rom com future ahead of them.
3. Sasaki to Miyano - It's a nice change of pace to see some fluffy boys love for once than the kind of typical dynamics associated with it
Pretty Good Tier:
4. Sabiki Bisco - It started off more slow burn than I thought, but it felt like a sign of confidence to spend some time building the world and letting me soak in all the crazy shit, plus I like post apocalyptic settings. Full crab dance marks.
5. Tribe Nine - The definition of just all style alone, I think it delivers on being as stupid and extreme as possible for me. I mean, c'mon man, a corporate exec using a fucking mecha suit to pitch a baseball while people are using light saber baseball bats? It's not going to be for everyone, but I have to genuinely respect how it goes all in on it's dumb insane concept without a hint of restraint. It remains to be seen whether it can sustain it's momentum.
6. Kuroitsu-san from the Monster Development Department - Funny little tokusatsu spoof about the follies of Japanese work culture, feels very timely considering the current covid crisis and how bad it's been lately. I could always use more shows poking fun at corporate culture.
So yeah, it's turned out to be a much better season than I thought for myself. I'm pretty pleased all things considered.
It's funny watching Fate/Stay Night and having Saber act surprised when she hears about "fictional" servants considering historians agree that King Arthur likely didn't exist plus Medusa, Medea, Hercules (or Heracles) and Cú Chulainn definitely did not exist although ironically Gilgamesh is generally thought to have been a real king (though obviously the legends were more fanciful). I mean I get they're probably saying "magic is real so all legends are true" but it's still an amusing statement especially when you consider the insanity of the spin-off material.
FUCKING NICE, I love this manga dearly and always thought it was a sweet little underrated cult gem. Perfect for me really, who also has a terribly difficult time getting sleep at night.
(Funny coincidence when we were talking about sleep in another thread lol)
Still the best transformation sequence since Penguindrum. Have you seen the Starlight Revue movie?
Separate names with a comma.