Daily Anime Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Jamie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. AquamarineGem

AquamarineGem Active Member

I'm really looking forward to the new Jojo anime series (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 6) coming up! My former classmates used to photoshop Jojo characters with the Super Smash Bros stage backgrounds for our graphic design courses. Thanks for the Jojo opening video!

2. Coalescence

Coalescence Well-Known Member

Inject it into my veins. I am very excited for this.

Rascal likes this.
  3. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

DAT: I had such a good plan to finally catch up on my seasonals, but then I finished watching Arcane and I think I want to stare at a wall in silence for a good while.
    There's no punchline.

4. LordAinz

LordAinz Well-Known Member

Its looking great. I just finished Diamond is Unbreakable (which was great, my second favorite Jojo part so far after Battle Tendency) a few days ago and am currently a few episodes into Golden Wind (which is pretty good, although its still early in the show so my thoughts could go either way). I definitely intend to get to the new season once I've caught up, I've really gotten into Jojo a lot recently (it helped to get past the horrible middle part of Stardust Crusaders, which zapped my interest in the series for awhile until I just skipped to them arriving in Egypt and the show's plot actually continued).

Starletka, ZetsubouKaiji and Rascal like this.
  5. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

Hm,... I'm in the mood for an anime that handles serious issues but in an optimistic way...

I find a lot of 'optimistic' series don't let themselves go anywhere too dark, and a lot of series that do go places that are pretty dark are inherently set up for tragedy. I guess there's the burden of making a series that goes somewhere dark but has an ending that feels 'realistic' and natural to the dark scenario, and the easy answer is for it to end grimly... I'd like more series that touch on real issues but that aren't well... you know... gestures. if I say Magical Girl Site, did enough people watch that to know what I mean? like a lot of edgy series throw a lot of dark elements in to shock and upset the viewer, and honestly, i'm okay with watching an edgy festival but what i really want is more series that handle that with nuance and even optimistically...

nge = nuance. optimistic? no. perhaps bittersweet
    occasionally I do see a series that handles a topic like domestic abuse almost saccharinely, which... ahhh i don't know how to put it... I'm not looking for grimdark, but you know, I also want a level of complexity higher than Hallmark film, you know...

6. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

I hear there's an anime coming out exactly like that, called Stars Align. Hope they get all the resources they need to finish it and it doesn't get cancelled halfway through.

Starletka, Cherstal, Gens and 3 others like this.
  7. Claptrap

gonna make me cry

Starletka, Cherstal, Gens and 3 others like this.
  8. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

DAT

Super Crooks turned out to be pretty bad, which was a shock, but I would have expected it had I known it was adapted from a western graphic novel in the first place. It contains all of what bothers me about 90% of western "adult" media. Just the constant sex obsessed depravity, because god forbid "mature" themes constitute anything but sex and drugs.

9. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Definitely has that late 90s - early 00s aesthetic and sound that the show needs.

------

So after we got the animation masterclass that was Dragonball Super: Broly, they've decided to go full cgi for the next DBS movie? Pretty disappointed.

10. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

All I can think about is Wonder Egg Priority reading this but you’ve already seen it lmao (still good tho)

Starletka, Gens and Claptrap like this.
  11. Vuh

Vuh Gold Supporter

DAT: Say what you will about the show itself, but goddamn the Giad Federacy dress uniforms in the second season of 86 are clean as hell. Ditto with Lena's black dress uniform in the San Magnolia military. Big ups to the character designer. Those characters look way cooler than they did in their old fatigues.

Starletka and Akishima like this.
  12. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've really appreciated the uniform designs this season and I like the character designs in general- for a gritty war drama, it really adds to the watchability factor for me. The art in general is pretty fantastic.

Starletka and Vuh like this.
  13. Claptrap

I feel like Stars Align and WEP suffered similar issues regarding their endings tbh :(

14. Vuh

Vuh Gold Supporter

They bamboozled me again. Just like Devil is a Part Timer. I ended up buying the LNs. Help.

15. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Makes me think of Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, it honestly gets extremely dark with it's subject matter but it also such has a burning overflowing sense of optimism behind it in the face of such despair. The characters ultimately go through quite the ordeal but are still hopeful about the future.

Shame Wonder Egg's ending was so bad, it was pretty much the angriest I had been all year. All my speculations and theories going up in fucking smoke like that.

16. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Ah yeah that's a good one, so much hope in that anime it can make a grown man cry.

17. Claptrap

hm thinking of things that surprised me this season

i thought i'd hate domas from ousama ranking, but i actually love him. i love him. i love when a character i thought i'd hate becomes one i love, it doesn't happen to me a lot. hehe.

i love daida too, but i expected that. i love bojji, but i knew i would. love bebin. love hiling (also a bit of a surprise). i love desha and despa. i love the ousama rankings. i love them all. i love when they backstab each other. i love when they show surprising depths. i love the warm moments, the sad moments, the bittersweet moments. i love ousama ranking. rolls in it.

i love how like... 'optimistic/cartoony/expression-filled asoiaf-y / game of thronesy' ousama ranking is. lol

18. Claptrap

I need to watch! I think I was hesitant back when because I was waiting for it to finish airing to see how certain subject matter was hashed out, and then I just kind of, didn't follow up

ShoumaTaka, Starletka, Gens and 2 others like this.
  19. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s true, they were building up Frill and everything as some super cool character. (Even tho I hate her lol)

But I’m not gonna let it ruin the good time I had in the beginning, especially with episode 7. Rika episode is best episode.

Gens, Claptrap and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  20. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

You should go for it. The show goes some dark places, but the power of bromanship is much stronger. Mostly.

Gens, Claptrap and UniversalParanoia1 like this.