Daily Anime Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Jamie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Hayane

Hayane Well-Known Member

I am sorry to disappoint you but its 2821 lol

Starletka and Shihai like this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh, crap, I forgot to put my grasses on.

Starletka, Rascal and Hayane like this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

DAT:

Rascal likes this.
  4. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

tbh expecting anything decent to get no 1 is always kind of a lost cause

but I'm happy to see Ousama Ranking at number 8, that spells good things to me. It's usually the kind of thing I might not see much of a blip of

putting Ousama Ranking and Komi-san aside, nothing really catches my eye. eh

Gens and Rascal like this.
  5. Saeryen

Saeryen Well-Known Member

Well, I always like to recommend Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure, which is currently airing and needs a lot more love. If you like a joyful show with magical girls and genuine sweetness it's probably for you.

I noticed you want to watch Nichijou and I highly recommend that one too. It's absolutely hilarious.

6. Starletka

Starletka Silver Supporter

That's one bold recommendation, I'll give you that :D

I'll get to it eventually

7. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

But the anime where the reincarnated 40 something who masturbates to his cousin in the body of a child tries to molest another child in her sleep IS decent, by anime standards.

8. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

DAT: Wait, the Star Wars anime is actually good?
    Glad to hear the unique structure of it worked out so well. Star Wars always being the "save the galaxy" scale is such a waste of the setting, so I'm glad to see it explored on a smaller scale than usual.

Nicknames, ShoumaTaka, Gens and 2 others like this.
  9. SilentBookworm

SilentBookworm Well-Known Member

I don't know, I'd say this is actually selling me on it, the fact that the main character is even baffled by this makes it all the funnier. This makes me think it's some high quality trash.

I had heard, I was just curious if anything worthwhile came out of it. Speaking of Tomino and depression, how is Space Runaway Ideon?

Gens likes this.
  10. rekindled

rekindled Well-Known Member

For the most part, while I don't agree with your post, I can understand how you got there. For everything, but this line. This take is so hot it singed my nose hairs from half way around the world. I shed a couple tears upon reading it. Yes, a few were for those nose hairs, but some were for your poor defeatist soul. To your actual claim though, that's hardly case in point.

Cheap novels led to vastly increased literacy and from that generation on you saw the rise of some of the most prolific writers in Western History. Many of which are still regarded as the greats today. It's the same argument really that I have about anime when people say that the 'golden age' was from a bygone era. When it comes to the mountain of the past, people read the thin gold layer on top. The cream of the crop as it were. Sometimes they delve into the layer beneath that which is full of the mundane and encompasses the largest part of the medium. Few stay in this layer though and even fewer reach the foundation, which is made of absolute garbage.

The result of this is that past era's are judged by their absolute best, while the current era, reader's tend to wade through the good, the bad, and ugly because keeping up with 'current' requires an amount of exploration. This tends to lead to the current era being judged more evenly rather than off it's 'best' or in some cases even more harshly because the bad tends to stick in people's minds. It is true though that when the barrier to entry becomes lower, the floor tends to lower. You see this in music, gaming, literature, and even anime to a certain extent. But you also see some phenomenal works come from the most unlikely places because that bar was lowered.

Be that as it may, there are indeed still 19th century and early 20th who are regarded as 'the greats' to this day, but you can look across many genre's and see vast improvements. Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were giants in Science Fiction and their influence can not be understated, but Frank Herbert came along and wrote what was at that time , arguably the most multi-layered and intricate series that the genre had ever seen in Dune. William Gibson in the 80's wrote a book that would led to the rise of modern cyberpunk which inspired new generations in both literature and film. And while authors like J.K. Rowling, George R. R. Martin, Stephen King have their flaws (and some have controversies) they all have showcased very creative and original works that can hit on the intellectual and cultural front. Those being some of the mainstream authors, that are recognized by people that don't even read and that have had significant impacts on their respective genre's. Seriously, whether people hate J.K. Rowling or Harry Potter, it changed children's literature forever...and for the better.

Within circles that do read you can get a long list of authors from the late 20th and 21st century that meet all your points and then some. Authors who changed the way their genre's were looked at or how they're written. Authors are every bit as capable of engaging the imagination today and being as intellectual as anything in the past.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  11. LordAinz

LordAinz Well-Known Member

DAT: Sunk cost fallacy exists for anime, and I really need to get out of it. I'm about 50ish episodes into the original Legend of the Galactic heroes, and after a big event I just can't stand the show anymore, even thinking about watching it makes me want to go do something else. But I'm over 50 episodes in, so it feels like a waste of time to drop it. On the other hand, I'm not even quite halfway through the series (which is 110 episodes), so continuing to watch it would be a waste of time if I'm not liking it any more.

Realistically, I will probably just drop it and go on to another show, it just sucks that it now feels like I wasted 50ish episodes worth of my time, even if I liked the show for most of that time. 50ish episodes is the length (or longer) of a lot of anime, so it feels like a big waste in the context of anime. but, watching another 50+ episodes of a show I don't like anymore would be an even bigger waste, so I just have to move on.

12. Claptrap

sakuga, you know

i guess in the sense of if we're evaluating purely by animation quality i'd be forced to agree from what i've seen

except every time i've considered watching i read the forum posts and walk away

Rascal likes this.
  13. Claptrap

you said you liked the show for most of that time so I'm curious what made you dislike it now? otherwise, i'd say, just drop it. but I wonder if it's an event in the show that will be more interesting than you think?

but that said, even though I like logh, I encourage everyone who isn't enjoying something to just drop it. we all have limited time, etc etc. you will never watch all the anime on earth even if you spent your while life doing it so might as well focus on one you like/COULD like

BrainBlow and OkamiHime95 like this.
  14. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful, psychedelic mess. The peak of Kill "Em All Tomino. I think it's one of his must-watch shows.

Akishima and SilentBookworm like this.
  15. SilentBookworm

SilentBookworm Well-Known Member

AdmiralMuffin likes this.
  16. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

That's just the 2nd movie though, which is admittedly awesome. The anime is just a straight up good sci fi giant robot series. It's a lot like the 79 Gundam anime or Macross.

17. GrayCardinal88

GrayCardinal88 New Member

Anime is an amazing way of art really like anime for making technology we copy.

18. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

DAT:

Crunchyroll's fall line-up is just disappointingly pitiful to me, with only like one or two shows I want to check out from them. They're really going hot and cold with seasons.

19. Starletka

Starletka Silver Supporter

Speaking of which, I thought SK8 was on Cruchy, but apparently it's not

howtoprocrastinate and Gens like this.
  20. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Also, when you study literary discourse history you'll very quickly find that lots of people have always claimed that contemporary writing is garbage for the same reasons you listed people doing it today.
    -------------------

DAT/DMT: Kengan Omega and Baki just had a crossover tribute chapter. It's always great to see solidarity in a smaller genre, and it makes me pretty happy to see that they'd do stuff like this to promote the new Baki anime.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021