Daily Anime Thoughts

I'm rewatching Leviathan: the Last Defense.

Anyone know how to mark rewatch episodes one at a time?

Anyhow, I'm doing rewatching this, but with the dub this time. The dub came out after I first watched it.

The original audio gave me the impression of a sort of generic cute-girls-doing-cute-things with playful (and occasionally playfully stupid) banter. The dub makes it turn out to be surprisingly sassy and snarky. Though, that might have been part of the original script, judging by the subs I'm reading at the same time, and I just didn't pick up on it as much the first time around and thought of it mostly as just a fantasy adventure with some derpy dragon girls.

I'm not sure which one I prefer.

The other reason I'm rewatching this -- aside from curiousity about the dub -- is that I wanted to watch the omakes, which I'd never watched before. But they are all attached to different episodes, and they are far more relevant if I watch them after rewatching each episode, as opposed to watching them all standalone.

I'm just going to say 80s character designs honestly had better body proportions:

tumblr_mtvi9wGKPy1sscrpbo6_500.jpg

Compared to modern times going absolutely CRAZY with the bust size:

DazzlingElectricGalah-size_restricted.gif

This is just disgusting. I don't know how anyone can think that's attractive.

And they did anime versions of movies done right. Beverly Hills Cop is looking hella fine.

Although...

7f923d0d064b180a743195fe9ff13092_w200.gif

And how could you not enjoy the indepth intellectual social commentary that was Manyuu Hiken-Chou?

Ryoka was coomerbait in a story that had zero interest in coomerbait. I can never dislike anything for having massive tiddies, but even then It's so fucking bizarre that this was given the OK.

XT6sA2z.jpg

Now I will buy your game.

I don't care what it's about, but I'm sold.

Halfway through Dawn of the Deep Soul (made in abyss third movie, it's just got subbed at good quality today) and man, even the actual first season of made in abyss hardly got this disturbing.

Posting here because you guys will probably forget about this otherwise, but i know our anime planet members are fans of this show so, get on watching this movie!

Halfway through Dawn of the Deep Soul (made in abyss third movie, it's just got subbed at good quality today) and man, even the actual first season of made in abyss hardly got this disturbing.

Posting here because you guys will probably forget about this otherwise, but i know our anime planet members are fans of this show so, get on watching this movie!

I'm tempted, but I'm really hoping Sentai streams it eventually. Probably be a long time though. I'll be picking it up if it comes out on disc, but I almost never watch the anime I buy.

DAT: I'm a bit late to the party on this, but the Discotek announcements are pretty exciting. I don't watch boxing, but I know people have been waiting for a re-release of Hajime no Ippo for a long time. Personally, I'm excited to check out Super Submarine 99- Leiji Matsumoto's stuff is rather hit or miss for me, but I love the art style. I hope this means somebody will eventually pick up Ozma and maybe Galaxy Railways S2. However, what I'm most excited about is a future release of s-Cry-ed.

DAT: One of the most annoying clickbait trends on anime youtube is that when a series has a first season, people start uploading the OST with fake titles that are blatant source material spoilers, also including (uncredited) fanart depicting scenes that are spoilery as fuck as well.

UGH YES YES YES !!! IF ONLY I CAN LIKE THIS TWICE
Lh5S.gif

this is what happened when Made in Abyss first came out . Glad I never watched the full videos for spoilers ( granted I only started Made in Abyss a couple of months due to this reason here ) got tired of seeing it

Still rewatching Leviathan: the Last Defense. Again, I've watched it subbed (i.e. Japanese voicework) before; but this time I'm watching it dubbed.

My thoughts so far:

* at first: this dub is kinda bad; the Japanese voices seem to fit better
* (listens to Japanese voices again)
* well, okay, they do seem to fit better, but at the same time they also end up feeling more tropey. I don't remember our protagonists being quite this sassy, or otherwise more interesting. Their personalities seem to shine better in the dub, even if the voicework sometimes feels awkward.
* But maybe I just didn't notice? It's been a while since I watched this.
* later: Hmm, the dub actually doesn't seem that bad. Maybe the voices grew on me...which is something that could happen. Or maybe the voicework got better.
* I've been watching this with the subs displayed at the same time, and most of the lines match pretty well yet they still managed to make the dub interesting. There are a few times the lines differ substantially in meaning, though none of these are story-critical.
* Leviathan is the one who sounds kinda awkward, but she's like that in the Japanese voicework too; she's a bit air-headed and that's her thing.
* Also come to think of it the story started off with a little more weight on the side of assorted nonsense but then got vaguely more wholesome later on. Interesting. It's starting to feel like an actual fantasy adventure, rather than a fantasy misadventure, now.

DAT:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...eveal-sk8-the-infinity-original-anime/.164250

I wasn't exactly dying to watch a skateboarding anime, but color me a bit intrigued by this promo. I might end up watching just bc they got the guy who did the music for ACCA, though if they promise me good voices and immense! skateboard! angst!, I'll definitely turn up for at least one ep. Love me some weirdly intense sports angst!

(And bc of the comments already turning up about it being fujobait bc it, idek, has male characters that aren't hideous trolls, I hope it's the gayest shit imaginable. Gay skateboard angst and also that big buff woman that was on screen for a microsecond is all I want.)

DAT:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...eveal-sk8-the-infinity-original-anime/.164250

I wasn't exactly dying to watch a skateboarding anime, but color me a bit intrigued by this promo. I might end up watching just bc they got the guy who did the music for ACCA, though if they promise me good voices and immense! skateboard! angst!, I'll definitely turn up for at least one ep. Love me some weirdly intense sports angst!

(And bc of the comments already turning up about it being fujobait bc it, idek, has male characters that aren't hideous trolls, I hope it's the gayest shit imaginable. Gay skateboard angst and also that big buff woman that was on screen for a microsecond is all I want.)
I like the idea of a skate boarding anime, feels like sport anime is really taking off in the industry. At least the studios are willing to take risks with doing something different, which is something I always appreciate.

DAT: Listening to my YouTube playlist of anime music, and judging from the number of Fairy Tail songs on here, I should just break down and buy the ost. It's funny cuz the show itself didn't grab my interest, but the ost is killer. Anime in general have really great soundtracks, and that's a big part of what I appreciate about the medium along with the art. I feel like effort is actually put into the music, unlike a lot of live action western films.

DAT: Listening to my YouTube playlist of anime music, and judging from the number of Fairy Tail songs on here, I should just break down and buy the ost. It's funny cuz the show itself didn't grab my interest, but the ost is killer. Anime in general have really great soundtracks, and that's a big part of what I appreciate about the medium along with the art. I feel like effort is actually put into the music, unlike a lot of live action western films.

second this as well. Am not a fan of the show but the OST? Count me in!
38200478b91db2d19a12ecf4672391c9.gif

——

DAT :

I honestly want to watch a drama anime am feeling kind of down but here’s my dilemma I don’t know if I want to rewatch Nana ( for the 200th time) , Rewatch Erased to see if I missed out on any parts ( because I was watching Erased & The lost village while they both were airing and was going back and fourth between both of them.) or just start a New one completely ugh

DAT:

I always thought skate boarding looked pretty cool and it gives me flash backs to playing a bit of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater back in the day. It's the code geass director though so this is guaranteed to have nonsensical twists out the ass, like they're going to end up skate boarding in space to save the universe from zombies. The premise sounds definitely angsty XTREME, dangerous skate boarding in an abandoned mine lmao. You can totally count me ALL IN ON THIS. I'm expecting an entertaining train wreck.

Also it reminds me this same director is doing a skating anime too. Double the angst!

Last edited:
Back