Daily Anime Thoughts

DAT:

It's really ironic how anime doesn't like touching the subject of the yakuza, but ya know.........................THERE'S AN ENTIRE MEGA POPULAR FRANCHISE IN GAMING CALLED YAKUZA THAT REVOLVES AROUND YAKUZA.

Yeah, okay Japan.
maybe it's because the yakuza is still a real thing in japan and they just don't like to talk about it

DAT:

It's really ironic how anime doesn't like touching the subject of the yakuza, but ya know.........................THERE'S AN ENTIRE MEGA POPULAR FRANCHISE IN GAMING CALLED YAKUZA THAT REVOLVES AROUND YAKUZA.

Yeah, okay Japan.
Well I don't recall many serious portrayals of the Yakuza that actually served as the focus. As far as comedic portrayals go, there's plenty. Like Nisekoi or that Back Street Girls show.

DAT: Just watched Her Blue Sky, and my question is: Does Mari Okada work on anything that Doesn't have a love triangle in it? I mean, one of 'em's literally a freakin' spirit, but had to have that triangle. Also, Aoi's buddha hoody is hilarious-
totally weirded me out when her sister came home in that one scene and you just see what looks like a weird distorted head drawing poking out of the darkness.
I feel kind of offended though at how they act like being 30 is so ancient. Japan is weird, the Japanese are generally long-lived, so why do they act like 30 is old?

Last edited:
DAT: Just watched Her Blue Sky, and my question is: Does Mari Okada work on anything that Doesn't have a love triangle in it? I mean, one of 'em's literally a freakin' spirit, but had to have that triangle. Also, Aoi's buddha hoody is hilarious-
totally weirded me out when her sister came home in that one scene and you just see what looks like a weird distorted head drawing poking out of the darkness.
I feel kind of offended though at how they act like being 30 is so ancient. Japan is weird, the Japanese are generally long-lived, so why do they act like 30 is old?
That Hamtaro anime she worked on also had a love triangle, with Howdy and Dexter both having a crush on Pashmina. But I don't know if that one counts, since the characters are hamsters and not humans.

Apparently, there's even a term for it in Japan:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChristmasCake

Japan is a pretty socially conservative country after all.

I knew about the age 25 expiration date (for women only, how sexist) but this Christmas Cake idea is just infuriating. And there's absolutely no logical reason for this concept. Even if you consider it from a child-bearing angle, 30s is definitely not too old. I could understand back in ancient times perhaps where people were less likely to live as long, but in the modern day, that's ridiculous. Glad Japan is moving on from that, but it's things like this that make me question wanting to visit there. They're a modern country, it's about time they act like it.

Age is only a number after all, you don't see that stopping people from falling in love.

That's true, age is only a number................except if you're a pedophile that is. *loud coughing*

I knew about the age 25 expiration date (for women only, how sexist) but this Christmas Cake idea is just infuriating. And there's absolutely no logical reason for this concept. Even if you consider it from a child-bearing angle, 30s is definitely not too old. I could understand back in ancient times perhaps where people were less likely to live as long, but in the modern day, that's ridiculous. Glad Japan is moving on from that, but it's things like this that make me question wanting to visit there. They're a modern country, it's about time they act like it.

Japan is one of those places that I think is okay to visit, but living there? Nu-uh, never ever for me, they do have a lot of issues that just kind of get swept under the rug. Like how fucking gross and disgusting idol culture is over there still and this concept of purity for women otherwise they're a slut.

---
DAT:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...hiko-seki-tests-positive-for-covid-19/.162559

Oof, may he have a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Like how fucking gross and disgusting idol culture is over there still and this concept of purity for women otherwise they're a slut.
It's basically a society-scale version of incels calling women sluts when they refuse to "put out." It's so backwards and bizarre.
And yeah I consciously avoid engaging with the idol industry and K/J-pop. It's a disgusting, exploitative place, and everyone knows it's full of Weinsteins, especially in the Korean one that has literal state budget poured into it to ensure it works.

Yeah he better freaking recover.

DAT: Wotakoi getting a new episode next year? Cool. Season next, plz.

That's true, age is only a number................except if you're a pedophile that is. *loud coughing*

Japan is one of those places that I think is okay to visit, but living there? Nu-uh, never ever for me, they do have a lot of issues that just kind of get swept under the rug. Like how fucking gross and disgusting idol culture is over there still and this concept of purity for women otherwise they're a slut.

---
DAT:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...hiko-seki-tests-positive-for-covid-19/.162559

Oof, may he have a speedy recovery.
This reminds me of the case with YUI, the singer who did the songs to Bleach and FMA:Brotherhood. There are definitely many others like her, but it just bothers me how this artist, who created some of my favorite nostalgic songs, would get attacked over getting married. Its depressing.

It's a silly and backwards idea, but they made one of the best things, Turning Girls, from it.

DAT: Sure glad I'm not younger with anime as a larger part of my identity anymore. It would not feel good when those in my then-demographic contemporaries would parade a non-binary character as a mascot for their movement claiming a slur isn't a slur. Sure feels good when your hobby is used as a defense for a hate movement...

DAT: "I'll get so much anime done this summer!"
*Crickets*

DAT: Sure glad I'm not younger with anime as a larger part of my identity anymore. It would not feel good when those in my then-demographic contemporaries would parade a non-binary character as a mascot for their movement claiming a slur isn't a slur. Sure feels good when your hobby is used as a defense for a hate movement...
What stupid thing did anime fans do this time?

What stupid thing did anime fans do this time?
A subreddit banning the word "trap" became a hill to die on for literal tens of thousands who've been rioting with increasingly incoherent and contradictory arguments, and becoming more and more blatantly transphobic by the day despite their claims that "trap" was never a slur.
Then they love to have memes with characters like Astolfo from fate G/O like a mascot. Problem is, Astolfo is canonically non-binary. Claims to contradict that are based on nothing but observations about Astolfo's language, which are meaningless since the Japanese language doesn't have ways to distinguish sex and gender.
And as said, it's just getting more and more toxic. Indeed, this is surely the hill to die on and invest time and emotional energy. To defend a slur that unambiguously originates from the concept of entrapment.
It's so important to defend, even as the mods literally listed alternative terms that work just fine and even have been used. And yet some are now twisting the narrative to be "feminine male characters are banned".
The worst are the ones who have convinced themselves it's a term the Japanese anime fandom widely uses. like wat.
There's only one trap in anime anyways.

A subreddit banning the word "trap" became a hill to die on for literal tens of thousands who've been rioting with increasingly incoherent and contradictory arguments, and becoming more and more blatantly transphobic by the day despite their claims that "trap" was never a slur.

I'm not sure what's worse any more, this predictable pile of ridiculousness from people I always knew were assholes or a bunch of people predictably rushing in to shout about how the Umibe no Etranger film is canceled because it has a 20 yr old and a 27 yr old falling in love.

I'm tired, when will people just shut up? Or maybe we could just put those two groups together and let them duke it out somewhere else so I can have 10 minutes of quiet on twitter. I might be nicer to the canceling crowd if they'd cancel people who were actually worth all their misplaced rage.

Back