Daily Anime Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Jamie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin Forum Moderator

Meanwhile I’ve not long finished the only show I was watching last season

** not even last season. Actually summer 2019 season. I didn’t even watch any fall shows.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

Anime genre I least like is, just like everyone else's, harem and isekai. I'm very open to a lot of things, but I'm always so quick to tap out if I find out the show I'm watching is either one of the two.

One other genre I especially like is slice of life, although I try not to watch SOLs one after the other so I don't get too bored. For some reason, I'm always so drawn to the SOLs set in restaurants and bars. I haven't seen a series in that mold I've really liked yet, but I do enjoy watching the one shot-style episodes.

Samurai are also a constant favorite of mine when it comes to anime. Feudal-era stories just get me so good. I live for all those bamboo forest showdowns and that angry flute instrumental thing just going on and on in the background.

In a world of generic sports fluff and forced drama, Haikyuu stands out. It's a gem and an all-around beam of happiness that harks back to the pure joy and energy of watching the underdog make it to the top. The moment I saw Karasuno having an emotional dinner together, I knew I was sold:

This remains one of my favorite scenes in a sports anime by far. It's pure and emotional, but it's not in your face about it. It's really good enough to rival that scene in Slam Dunk:

[​IMG]

Shohoku won the game here, but I really like the whole quiet feel about it. It's why I think the Haikyuu post-loss dinner scene is just as good as this quiet celebration of sorts.

I've watched this video five times already.

3. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

DAT: 7 seeds' 2nd season is out
    me:
    [​IMG]

4. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

I gave the first season a thumbs down on Netflix so it will stop shoving the show in my face. Even with a quarantine some things aren't worth my time.

5. Gaff

Gaff Active Member

Started going through Cat's Eye, now that we can get it in the UK. Feels like it needs more suspension of disbelief than the likes of City Hunter that followed it, but it has a lot of weird little visual flourishes I really appreciate - it's like the production staff were trying to copy Osamu Dezaki's style.

6. ShoumaTaka

ShoumaTaka Well-Known Member

I really miss the 2006-2008 era of anime . No care in the world .. ugh

7. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

DAT:

Well some shows for Spring season I'm actually interested in watching are coming hot off the press soon and early, I hope I'm not disappointed.

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

One of my favorite feelings that only really comes maybe once or twice a year now. The shortest my Watching list has ever been this past decade was down to 3 shows; all thanks to long-running shonen. That'll teach me for actually picking up the One Piece anime.

Have to echo Franco and others in the thread with harem as my least favorite. I think the only times I felt truly engaged in a harem series were Love Hina (the very first one I encountered, I was also 16 at the time), Nisekoi (which petered out over time when the author halted most character/plot progression for a 100 chapters) and Clannad. If more harems put effort into developing their characters and showing respect towards all the different relationships, then the genre'd have a better shot at winning me over.

As for isekais, not sure what the temperature of this take is, but I just find them mid. Granted I do skip out on the seasonal ones you can just tell they churn out, but I did find genuine enjoyment in shows like Konosuba, Re:Zero, Tanya, Slime, and Log Horizon. I feel like there's enough isekai shows made with some merit that I'll give some credit for the genre, but there is no denying it's spawned an absolute load of uninspired shows this decade.

9. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

PSA: If you give a damn at all about Kimetsu no Yaiba, maybe shut down social media forever. After this week it's just going to be a continuous spoiler-fest I'm afraid.

10. Damias

Damias Database Moderator

They all died and journeyed up north, didn't they? I knew it. All these so called authors are too damn predictable.

UniversalParanoia1 and Nicknames like this.
  11. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

Might I recommend Intrigue in the Bakumatsu? It might not be your thing, and you gotta be up for info-dump subtitles (no dub here), but if you like samurai titles, you might check it out. There's a particularly epic gun vs. sword fight in a traditional Japanese house that I thought was great fun.

I agree. As much as I complain about the isekai genre, I quite enjoyed The 12 Kingdoms, Kyo Kara Maoh and Saga of Tanya the Evil. In general, I think the current reincarnation isekai trend needs to die in a fire, but I don't have anything against a well-written person-in-a-strange world story. I mean, people have been writing that kind of story for thousands of years with varying success, it's just only recently that we've gotten this glut of lazy video-game-gimmick inspired self-insert fan-fiction that passes for actual writing.

12. Vuh

Vuh Well-Known Member

DAT: Well, the bank placed me on paid administrative leave because I meet the criteria for COVID-19 quarantine, so I basically have 6 weeks off (still gotta do the overnight, though). Decided to watch Beastars. I didn't realize how much I was missing out when it aired. That was actually a really fresh take on high schoolers getting into over-the-top bullshit.

13. CrowWolf

CrowWolf Well-Known Member

Dat: i come across a thread on another site where people were having a large discussion for a supposed long lost anime that no one can find but alot of people have detailed memories about it. they called it "go for the punch" its a anime that never existed, something probably made up. even if its not true i like hearing stories like that. i know along time ago im 100% positive i saw a video of the china square video where a guy got ran over by a tank and i know what history says happened and that differs from the video i saw leaked on some file sharing thing like winmx or limewire or something and that file and video is pretty much gone from reality. i didnt even know what the video was for years and years besides being another random graphic video, but thats why it stuck in my mind and i remember it so vividly......................maybe the same is true for that anime.

Nitroglycerin likes this.
  14. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

DAT:

Pretty bois rap battling? Fuck it, I'm watching dis. Also, I always love silly cheesy rapper nicknames like "Ill-doc", "45 rabbit", "Crazy M".

These guys better be dropping some hard ass bars, hip-hop music is very ever rarely used in anime.

Franconator, Starletka, Tents and 6 others like this.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  15. Vuh

Vuh Well-Known Member

Did 8 Mile just get an anime adaptation?

16. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

DAT: All this trash talking of harem anime is making me want to watch one. I actually don't mind them if I like the characters and there's somewhat of a plot, which a lot of them don't have. I'm actually surprised that the Grisaia franchise isn't tagged as a harem, since that was kind of my impression of it, but I guess VN adaptations where you romance a different girl on every route don't strictly speaking qualify. Anyway, I think Seiren looks interesting, so I'll see if it actually is. I vaguely remember thinking it looked rather uninteresting and dull when it came out, but, hey, you never know.

17. ZetsubouKaiji

A rap anime with no rapping in a PV and some generic J-rock song playing in the background. Mkay.

18. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

I was scared there wasn't going to be any rapping either, so I checked them out on youtube later, and oh no, these guys actually do in fact rap. This is a huge rapping franchise in Japan:

I just dunno really why they didn't just feature the guys rapping in the PV, that would have been a lot better.

19. hell0emi

hell0emi Well-Known Member

Hypnosis mic is my life and I’m so hyped for an anime

20. ZetsubouKaiji

Never mind this is going to be the greatest anime of all time. Those rap names are dope.