Daily Anime Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Jamie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. thor123

thor123 Well-Known Member

yes, it certainly was a blissful moment to know I was finally done with that crap... I just kept hoping it would get better, and it never did :(

8MangaMan, Zed, ZetsubouKaiji and 2 others like this.
  2. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

A similar thing happened to me when @hell0emi shared a pic of her tattoo, it took me looking at it 3 times and looking up "anime symbol" to figure out it was from shingeki

3. ShoumaTaka

ShoumaTaka Well-Known Member

DAT :

Is it just me or Fire Force’s opening scene one of the best opening scenes of this season? Holy fucking shit

4. Guest

Guest Guest

DAT:

Man, it has been a trip rewatching Universal Century era Gundam after nearly 12-15 years. After experiencing so much life. Pain. Love. Life... and death. More.

It's like I'm watching these shows for the first time. No, not just watching this time... experiencing them.

5. NekoYesEcchi

NekoYesEcchi Well-Known Member

Yes, you should have. I thought it was amazing! (Plus, Black Hanekawa rules)

Vega, Taek, Nicknames and 4 others like this.
  6. LordAinz

LordAinz Well-Known Member

An addendum to this:

Dear Anime industry, MAKING IT A WOMAN WHO WANTS TO GET WITH LITTLE BOYS IS JUST AS PEDOPHILIC AS THE NORMAL "LOLI" STUFF, ASSHOLES.

I mean, holy shit, Summer 2019 feels like a season where half the anime industry needs to get put on a sexual predator list. Why are so many of the shows jumping on the Isekai bandwagon right now filled with pedo shit? Its not like Overlord or most of the mainstream Isekai (that I know of) got popular because of pedo/Loli bullshit, so I don't know why these new shows think that attracting sex predators is what their shows need.

So, great job Demon Lord, Retry of just outright making one of the side characters a pedophile. Truly, everyone involved should just be so proud of their chosen professions and their contributions to Anime as a medium.

[​IMG]

7. Starra

Starra Well-Known Member

Isekai just seems like terrible stuff in general. Pedo shit, glorified slavery, women being reduced to nothing but looking pretty and lusting after the male lead... I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but it really doesn't feel like it.

I know there are good isekai out there, too, but I don't want to have to sift through mountains of shit to find those. I already do that with BL.

8MangaMan, Zed, BrainBlow and 6 others like this.
  8. Nicknames

Nicknames Database Moderator

I find it funny how most of the good isekai shows out there are pre-SAO stuff

Starra, 8MangaMan, Zed and 6 others like this.
  9. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

DAT:

One day, I'm still dreaming about @Franconator catching up to Vinland saga, one day. Because he's missing out on best show of the season.

10. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

I WILL get around to watching it one weekend, I promise. I already feel bad for not watching some of that Viking goodness along with the rest of you.

NekoYesEcchi, Gozza, Taek and 5 others like this.
  11. Oceanwithwaves

Oceanwithwaves Well-Known Member

That says what kind of influence SAO had. Still can't figure out if I liked it or not.

12. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Aug 3, 2019
    DAT: I wouldn't be mad if Netflix blessed us with a manly badly-animated martial arts schlock every season from now on.

13. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

I bet the source material for Kengan Ashura is actually pretty good. As ridiculous as a lot of it is the actual explanation for most of the martial arts is kind of cool. I really liked when the Jeet Kune Do guy got his ass handed to him. I know @Taek will say it's Kung Bullshit and I'll trust him on that, but it made for a good scene to have it utterly crushed by Shogi guy's predictive powers.

I enjoyed the hell out of the anime and found it to be better overall than Baki.

14. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

I'm really enjoying it a lot more than baki atm even if it's in CGI.

This is up there with the stop motion bear show Netflix made to me.

15. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Aug 3, 2019
    I prefer baki's open free for all style of fights over the organised tournament of Kengan's, but ultimately I prefer Kengan since it never got to one sided in it's fights, as it puts the fighters on equal level plays amd actually has them struggling to win.

I guess I'm also slightly annoyed by the large cast as most of them probably won't matter in the long run, but the variety in martial arts makes for a cool spectacle for now I guess.

Too bad torpedo guy didn't last long enough to be this show's dorian.

16. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

I like that torpedo guy took over as one of the commentators during the tournament. Jerry is fun. You're right there are too many characters, but like 3/5ths of Baki's criminals were the same character repeated. Dorian was bae, but the rest were kind of meh. With Kengan at least we get explanations for different kinds of martial arts before they got served by the important characters.

17. "Dammit, get to the point!"

18. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Ehhh. It has great animation, and the song is also great, but I don't think either of those things even when combined makes for a particularly good OP. It's not bad, but it actually feels kinda directionless, like someone just told the animators to have a bit of fun with some action setpieces, and then they picked a cool J-rock tune to put on it afterwards. "People in firefighter cosplay punch fire demons" is literally the only thing that trailer conveys to me. It doesn't really sell me on any characters or story hints, and the animation is too good to be something I'd expect to see on the regular in the show itself. It feels more like one of those "proof of concept" type trailers than an actual OP, or something an animator just made for their real good demo reel.

To contrast it, look at the second Konosuba OP, for example.

It oozes character. You can practically break it down cut by cut and discuss pieces of characterization conveyed. Character abilities, story formula with setup and motivations, general mood, their individual quirks, their relationships with each other, even the animation quality of the show itself? Practically all of it is put on display in a mini-story that contains all the appeal of the series, told in just 90 seconds. That OP probably cost considerably less to make than the Fire Force one, too.
    ------

Eh, it's justified in that he was cocky and overconfident against someone that was far more eager for the win. He is stronger than him otherwise. I'm hoping to see a rematch in the sequel manga that is currently ongoing, though they're buddies so I don't think so. But I hope a scenario will be contrived.

The source material really is great, and I highly recommend it to anyone. (and keep your eyes out for the Danberu references later in) It has that "everyone gets a favorite character" thing going on, and the battle outcomes actually end up surprisingly unpredictable at times, but without feeling like total bullshit. The series also keeps cumulative damage in mind, so even a character that's obviously a jobber can potentially seem like a threat in the longer narrative.
    Though Kengan Ashura is basically a series for people that hate fingers. The real jobbers of this series are the fingers of literally everyone.
    For the most part my biggest gripe was some of the stuff involving female characters, when there's any at all, and then anything that has to do with the Kure clan and powerups, though the series luckily at least takes the HxH principle of powerups. I thought I had a gripe with the story structure and roster size until I saw the news about the sequel series, which caused it to make far more sense. Yes there's a lot of characters, but most of the ones that live are set up to or already have returned in the sequel, accompanied by the results of the character progression gained from the previous series, and then you're each chapter hoping they'll reveal a new returnee.

Seeing the volume extras of the author explaining how he and his assistants would do stuff like imitate the actual poses while balancing the realism and coolness factors is really funny. It seems to be surprisingly difficult to get someone's proportions right when half their body is hidden in a choke hold. It's the balance between a choke hold looking like sweaty hug, and drawing someone accidentally with the neck of a hairless Alpaca. But it's always fun to know the people making the stuff you find fun are having fun doing it.

19. Starra

Starra Well-Known Member

I haven't watched any amount of SAO and I feel like that's one of the best decisions I've ever made tbh.

20. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

But that means you have no license to shit on it like the other 50 million people who do. Sad face.