Daily Anime Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Jamie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ShinShini

ShinShini Well-Known Member

I know it's a typo, but I had to imagine what you're doing with the poor moth.

I can imagine that a lot of these descriptions are for readers that aren't used to gay stories, so they have to describe it in more naive terms. Because the example you gave sounds like the insert character for the character not having a clue about gay sex because the readers have no clue about gay sex. So that the author can lead the readers and the character together to the rainbowland. Just sounds like that writing technique. Who knows.

2. Starra

Starra Database Moderator

It's probably a bit of both, lol. In Mo Dao Zu Shi, the protagonist takes forever to realise he's gay and likes his friend because he spends most of his time flirting with pretty girls.

In Heaven Official's Blessing, the protagonist spends 800+ years being pureā„¢ (and pretending he's impotent) because of his method of cultivation and can't so much as hold hands with a girl or he'll *~*ruin*~* it. It doesn't take him too long to realise he likes the demon king he's been hanging around with and his only complaint is that his teacher never taught him methods for defending himself against hot men, only women, lol.

I think the protagonist in Scum Villian knows all about sex though, but I haven't read much of that one yet.

Gozza, Nicknames and ShinShini like this.
  3. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

DAT/DMT: You know what's frustrating? A villain with a super deadly power that never gets to off anyone because it has to be PG. Like that Shego chick from Kim Possible.
    But oh boy is it amazing when a series suddenly starts letting such villain actually tear into people. It feels even better than watching a romance arc be fulfilled.

4. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

First, thanks for this. I've never heard of this game, but have to check out the ost now. I think @Cherstal really hit on a good explanation for the recognizability of this soundtrack music with the repetitive catchy motifs. I'm no music expert, but the mention of a heavy use of stringed instruments leads me to point out that this allows alternate tuning- which our western ears would read as slightly foreign sounding, and which Eastern music is known for. I've certainly noticed melodic patterns and musical progressions that western composers just don't do- it's not that they can't, but they don't think that way. It's also possible that there is a preference for certain key signatures and timings. Something that was pointed out to me is that a lot of this music has a very martial sound- that first song you linked is certainly that way. You can really notice it in Joe Hisaishi's music- I'm sure all of this combines into a sound that is both familiar and yet not, to our ears.

That first video reminded me of this song- you could waltz to this, so it's in a triple meter time.

DAT: With the new season I forgot all about Dororo, because none of the new shows are on Prime (except Sarazanmai, but I started watching it really late, and on Crunchyroll). I am fixing this.

Gozza, Nicknames, BrainBlow and 2 others like this.
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  5. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Reducing my anime load is probably one of the best decisions I've made. I'm only watching a handful of stuff this season, but even the ones I don't love at least don't make me hate myself for watching. That dumb ecchi show about the teachers is actually pretty inoffensive for the most part. Plus, less anime gives me time to think about and rewatch Sarazanmai.

Franconator, Taek, Gozza and 3 others like this.
  6. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

Hi, my name is Star, and it's been two days since I've watched an anime.

7. Vuh

Vuh Well-Known Member

Ouch. But you did have that wedding to go to, so hey. I think it's been about a week for me. I think the longest I've gone without anime was two years or so. Could be three, I think.

Franconator, Nicknames, Gozza and 2 others like this.
  8. ZetsubouKaiji

Stay strong and you might defeat the demon.

Franconator, Nicknames, Gozza and 7 others like this.
  9. thor123

thor123 Well-Known Member

fourth day for me! that streak will stop today or tomorrow though...

10. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Zed60K

Zed60K Database Moderator

I've watched a anime today. It was about a man dying of cancer making meth. It was a good anime.

12. ZetsubouKaiji

Mr. Gale is truly the most kawaii anime character.

Vuh, Franconator, Nicknames and 3 others like this.
  13. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Too many feels, nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

14. Starra

Starra Database Moderator

Sometimes I go almost a week without watching anything... Even then I only watch seasonals. Which I sometimes struggle to keep up with lol. I wish I had more energy to watch more than 3-4 shows a season in some ways.

15. Vuh

Vuh Well-Known Member

DAT: @Franconator paragraph about Grave of the Fireflies had me thinking about In this Corner of the World that I watched on Netflix last summer. Gave me a lot of GotF vibes. Definitely nowhere near as...grim, but it has moments to rival Grave, specifically after the USAAF firebombs Kure for the first time. I really enjoy those dramas with the Pacific War in the background, as opposed to the main event. I just wish there were more of them, or that the anime industry writ large took dramatic character studies more seriously.

Franconator, Gozza, Akishima and 4 others like this.
  16. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

That fucking movie is a subdued masterpiece to me. It's angle to war and how it showed people living their lives during the time in a sort of slice of life way to me was so fresh. Rather than focus on the melodramatics and being a war epic, it was more about the smaller scale struggles and problems that people went through. It builds this uneasy tension and when shit did hit the maximum roof in it, it hit like a fucking truck and made it that much more impactful to me. So many feels with In this Corner of the world.

17. automotivated

automotivated Well-Known Member

d a t: i started watching violet evergarden as of last night, as its been somthing ive wanted to watch for a really long time, and I really have to say that art style is really so beautiful, and most likely one of my favorites. There's something so visually satisfying to be to see the color palettes and aesthetics that make the art style really memorable to me. Also i do enjoy the whole 3 episodes ive watched thus far. Ive got high hopes for this one.

Franconator, Nicknames, Gozza and 2 others like this.
  18. BurntJelly

BurntJelly Well-Known Member

DAT: I have undropped Brain Powerd. I have no idea how many years ago I tried this the first time.

I already know it's an Eva-clone, and not even a good one. My curiosity wants to see how bad it is all the way through. Who knows, maybe it will have some redeeming qualities... if I can ever overlook how bad of an Eva-clone it is. It's gonna be like it's DTAB every day!

Nicknames, Gozza and Akishima like this.
  19. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

Darn it @Vuh and @Gens- you remind me that I bought In this Corner of the World a while back and still haven't watched it. Glad to know you guys liked it. I too love those stories set in wartime that focus on the everyday life of ordinary people just trying to live through it. As you said, not enough stories do that.

@BurntJelly: Brain Powerd, eh? I never really knew what it was supposed to be about, but oh gods, now I have to watch this, you know. As an Eva fan, and a masochist.

20. Gozza

Gozza Well-Known Member

@Gens recommend me The Vision of Escaflowne, few episodes in but totally digging the vibe and style so far. Kind of funny how people you've met on a forum seem to know what you're interested in while your lifelong friends keep recommending you complete garbage.