Critical Role

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by BrainBlow, Jul 9, 2020.

1. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

So I've noticed I'm not the only one who watches this great show that I've been passively and consistently recommending in my signatures for literal years now. And the show has resumed with some alterations after months of COVID hiatus, so now is as good a time as any to make this thread.
    I know that at least @RogueLynx , @Oceanwithwaves and @Oozaga apparently watch it.

For those not in the know:
    Why is the show itself kind of a big deal? Well:

A huge part of the appeal is that this group of voice actor friends have basically become found family, and this game did start out in their own homes years before the stream started, so this is actually people in it for the game and friendships, and it shows. They have an intense love for each other and how the game connected them. They're not just people recruited for some stream, and it feels very genuine.
    They also significantly cultivate the fan art community, so the amount of fanart this series gets is INSANE!

If you watch dubbed anime you have almost certainly heard most of the cast before, as all are voice actors, though you've probably mostly heard them in games.
    - Matthew Mercer (English voice of Jojo's Jotaro and Fate's Kiritsugu Emiya, McCree in Overwatch)
    - Laura Bailey (English voice of FMA's Lust, and is the wife of Travis Willingham)
    - Travis Willingham (English voice of FMA's Roy Mustang)
    - Marisha Ray
    - Liam O'Brien (You are not prepared!)
    - Sam Riegel (OBJECTION!)
    - Ashley Johnson (Voice of Ellie in TLOU)
    - Taliesin Jaffe

RogueLynx, Oceanwithwaves and Oozaga like this.
  2. BrainBlow

Here's a critical part to internalize: The show is not "too long". When you catch the bug it's simply not long enough, which is why the weekly mantra episodes end on is "Is it Thursday yet?"
    This show is what BB spends all those would-be anime hours on.
    [​IMG]

BB recommendation time!

How to get into this if you're new? The length may seem daunting, and there's a lot of content. Let BB explain.
    It is recommended that you start with Campaign 2.

(that's the official playlist)
    It is set after campaign 1, but it is intentionally set up so you don't need to know anything about campaign 1 in order to be able to get into it.
    It's different and unrelated characters on a different continent a couple decades in the future from where the last campaign ended.
    Sometimes there's Easter eggs and sometimes the players makes in-jokes and references tied to campaign 1, but that's about it.
    Campaign 2 also starts with much higher production quality and and in-game assets than Campaign 1 did, which makes it much more newbie friendly as well, especially for podcast versions which also exist.

And as a fun note: They have a talkshow every week after each episode, Talks Machina, where a few of the players answer questions (and goof off immensely), hosted by Ashley Johnson's fiance, Brian w. Foster.

So if you get into the campaign then you can watch that after each episode to get in on player (and sometimes DM) perspective on the game, while they answer audience questions.

BB will explain in wonderful detail how to get into Campaign 1 if asked. (Hint: don't start from the beginning if new to Critical Role)

Convenient site for those caught up who live in different time zones: When is critical role?

Oozaga likes this.
  3. Oozaga

Oozaga Well-Known Member

Posted by Oozaga on Jul 9, 2020
    I try to catch it as much as I can, I actually really enjoy DnD in the background when I'm working. I follow Arcadum's channel on twitch as well, a GM that runs several campaigns online with other streamers.

BrainBlow likes this.
  4. Oceanwithwaves

Oceanwithwaves Well-Known Member

Yeah, I even introduced my mother to it who apparently likes it a lot. It's awesome to listen to while working or at school.

Also, you were the one who actually brought up the conversation of DnD and probably made it happen in my friend group, so thousand thanks for that lol.

RogueLynx, Oozaga and BrainBlow like this.
  5. BrainBlow

[​IMG]
    You are dangerously inflating my already massive ego. Bringing more people into D&D while barely even trying? God complex in the making right there.
    ------------------------

New episode today, though it's at 4 in the morning in my time zone. I often do watch live, but not tonight. Renewed my twitch subscription, so I'll get up about an hour after it ends to watch it instead.

Oozaga likes this.
  6. RogueLynx

RogueLynx Well-Known Member

Currently on episode 15 of campaign 1. Can't wait to get to episode 25 or 27 or whatever it was...

But before i get into episode 15, gotta finish episode 2 of Critical Rejects...

Oozaga, Oceanwithwaves and BrainBlow like this.
  7. Oceanwithwaves

Oceanwithwaves Well-Known Member

My friend was actually thinking about it already, but when I started talking about it too due to having watched CR because of your banner, it moved faster than it should've. Boom, butterfly effect.
    Also, you say barely even trying, but you have a pretty obvious signature XD

BrainBlow, RogueLynx and Oozaga like this.
  8. RogueLynx

holy shit... and i thought episode 1 of Critical Rejects was bonkers... and i'm only 1 hour into episode 2 yet and according to the Youtube comments, the madness is only just beginning...

9. BrainBlow

And yeah, thing is that only a single thing featured before that point in the campaign will ever be properly relevant again later. So I tend to recommend people start at 23 or 24, then watch earlier episodes if they catch the bug. 23 works like a nice introduction to the characters with an exciting rematch happening, with the next episode jumping into the more relevant story.
    -----------------------------------------

C2E101:
    Immediately hafta get that one out of the way:
    Yeah, so, I’m not the only one that has guessed that Viridian is actually Vilya, Keyleth’s mother, right?

- She’s been on the island for THREE decades.

- Half-elf.

- Druid.

- All the water Ashari found of Vilya was a single leg. Viridian has a plant prosthetic leg.

- Also both of their names start with “Vi”.
    That could be totally bonkers and might actually cause the campaigns' stories to partially intersect.

They've been goofing a lot, but it makes sense since they have been apart so long because of the quarantine. It's pretty normal in most D&D groups that have extended periods of no meetups.
    The island is creepy in the uncertainty of if the memory loss comes before or after meeting the local "deity". Though if my above theory is true then I definitely hope they break this hold the creature has on the island. I really do wonder if it's a homebrew monster or something from and earlier edition. Or maybe I have totally overseen a newer thing.

So that was definitely a Bodak at the end there. Geez, and starting with it immediately behind her? Baaaaaaad deal. Especially since Matt must obviously have beefed it up to be a challenge to the whole group.
    [​IMG]

10. RogueLynx

are there still a total of 13 official classes? was the development of the Blood Hunter completed? anyone interested in helping me complete the background for a warlock? i also can't decide b/w the fiend, great old one and Blackrazor. i'm also probably never going to actually play dnd but anyway...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020