Cool fun manga about adults?

GroovyZeta2040

Looking for some recommendations, in the mood for stuff about adults. Made a similar one for anime in that forum too.

Pretty much browsing the bookstore, almost every manga title I see is about kids in school uniforms, or it's an Isekai. Which is cool, but I'm looking for some gems with a different vibe.

Just something about adults, at least college or older, and not in the style of the usual manga student. Just the main few characters at least being adults, drawn in a stylized or older vibe.

For genre, I'm open to a variety. Adventure, thriller, comedy, romance, drama (though not too bleak), shounen, seinen, stuff like that.

I'm less familiar with stuff from the past 15 years, but manga recommendations can be from say 1980s to today.

Some of my favs, including anime, to show my taste:

Cowboy Bebop, Maison Ikkoku, One Piece, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Legend of Black Heaven, Lupin the Third, Monster (thriller fun outweighs the bleakness), Gundam, City Hunter, Kaiju, Gankutsuou.

Thanks!

Just a couple of suggestions -

- Natsume Ono has a lot of titles that might fit the bill, but ACCA is a fun one about a government bureaucrat who eats a lot of bread and gets caught up in a rumored coup de etat. Not as action filled as it might sound, have snacks on hand while reading.

- Eniale & Dewiela is about an angel and a devil who get caught up in supernatural hijinks with Kamome Shirahama's absolute killer art.

- Lost Lad London might be more dramatic than you're after, but a college student and a police detective get caught up in a high-profile murder case that might be more than it seems. The art is cool and the vibe is different from other manga I've read.

Since you like Monster you might want to check out other titles by Naoki Urasawa. One of his most well recieved works would be 20th century boys (they do start as kids at the beginning but that is the set up for a grander story); another one would be Pluto.

Takehiko Inoes Vagabond. On the topic of Samurai stories, maybe Lone wolf and cub by Kazuo Koike (quite old though).

The works by Noboyuki Fukumoto, like Kaiji or Legend of the Strongest Kurosawa!

For a love story, maybe Solanin by Inio Asano (I recommend his work in general)

Also, if you like Gundam, there are a ton of Gundam manga that have never been adapated to anime.

Looking for some recommendations, in the mood for stuff about adults. Made a similar one for anime in that forum too.

Pretty much browsing the bookstore, almost every manga title I see is about kids in school uniforms, or it's an Isekai. Which is cool, but I'm looking for some gems with a different vibe.

Just something about adults, at least college or older, and not in the style of the usual manga student. Just the main few characters at least being adults, drawn in a stylized or older vibe.

For genre, I'm open to a variety. Adventure, thriller, comedy, romance, drama (though not too bleak), shounen, seinen, stuff like that.

I'm less familiar with stuff from the past 15 years, but manga recommendations can be from say 1980s to today.

Some of my favs, including anime, to show my taste:

Cowboy Bebop, Maison Ikkoku, One Piece, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Legend of Black Heaven, Lupin the Third, Monster (thriller fun outweighs the bleakness), Gundam, City Hunter, Kaiju, Gankutsuou.

Thanks!

Based on your favs I'd recommend giving Megalobox (anime), Trigun (anime and manga), Outlaw Star (anime and manga), Gundam: Thunderbolt (anime), Universal Century Hardgraph (manga), Jojo's Stardust Crusaders part3 (anime and manga) or Jojo's Steel Ball Run part7 (manga), or the new Legend of The Galactic Heroes (anime and novel) a chance.

Adults in contemporary non-sci-fi Japan, working in companies or college students, dealing with relationships and life hardships, drawn like actual adults: Hataraki Man (anime and manga), Wotakoi (anime and manga), The Great Passage (anime, manga and novel), Honey and Clover (anime and manga), or Genshiken (anime and manga).

Last edited:
Back