cool animals facts you know?

praet_u2.jpg

H_African-lungfish-Siti.jpg

African lungfish (Genus: Protopterus) are capable of aestivating or going dormant during the dry seasons of their native environment. They do this by digging a burrow and lining it with mucus which traps water and forms a cocoon. During this period, they lower their metabolic rate, breathe air, metabolize or "feed" on their muscles and store up their urea to levels that would be toxic to most other fish. In the wild this period typically lasts 7-8 months but laboratory experiments have shown they can remain in this state for up to 4 years.

You know what a cool animal fact is? That I painfully had to get used to people calling snakes "snek", because in Czech "šnek" means a snail, and it just made no sense to me.

wolfs and crows have some kind of symbiotic relationship. i relate with both animals so i was ecstatic to hear that they both benefit and aid eachothers existence in the natural world and there habitats.

also everything i thought i knew about penguins was a lie. they are more like human beings than i originally thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
1200468kpo10-1024x682.jpg

The kakapo (Strigops habroptilus) is a flightless parrot native to New Zealand and is the world's most endangered bird with a current population of 142. The reason for this is because when humans began to settle on New Zealand, they were quickly devastated by humans, dogs, cats, and rats hunting them due to their only defense mechanism, besides being green, being "standing still and hoping it goes away" which resulted from them evolving without any predators hunting them.

Hyenas are a completely separate genus of their own. They're not feline not canid, they are Hyenid.

They also aren't related to the paleolithic Hyenadonts, long extinct predators that possibly died out because they couldn't digest bone like the slowly evolving big cats could.

Hyenas rely on their front legs to generate speed when running, unlike most predatory mammals that rely mostly on their back legs.

Dire wolves probably weren't wolves as we know them. They are a extinct, large canine, but very probably not related to modern day grey wolves, let alone being their genetic ancestor.

I guess you can call these cool...
- Female Penguins steal other Female Penguin's babies
- Most Penguins live in tropical climate
- Adélie Penguin will mate with anything... Literally anything and everything. (This is what I get when you search up weird facts about penguins at 1 am in the morning).

You can tell what color a chickens eggs are gonna be based off of their ear color. As someone who has had chickens for over 10 years, I can confirm that this is true.
bkWGa.jpg

For example this hen would lay blue eggs since she has blue ears. Most chickens have their ears covered by their feathers though.

pandf1.gif

symbion-pandora-77e91ee1-2047-48f1-bedc-ce97020d6a0-resize-750.jpg

Symbion is the only genus within the phylum Cycliophora, a completely new phylum christened when they were discovered in 1995. Very little is currently known about them other than they live on the mouth parts of lobsters and they have a complicated life cycle.

1-s2.0-S0960982215006697-gr1.jpg

These little bats make their house inside this species of carnivorous plants.

2D9984595-mugger-croc-sticks.jpg

Alligators and cocrodiles use branches to hunt birds when they are looking for them to build their nests

Back