Coming very soon: 'times watched'

i probably spend as much if not more time re-watching than i do with the first watch....just watched that "i just want friends" or what ever for the 4th time....and i have some other foot long string of mixed alphabet anime title to start tonight...that i have only watched once before ...i don't really think i have seen an anime till i have seen it at least 3 times...because with subtitles i miss a lot of stuff while reading ....

I have a solution guys. If you don't like the feature, don't use it.

I agree, but the problem is that when somebody browses the site comparing the life on anime bar to a friend that uses the re-watch feature and opts-in. Then that user won't be able to compare their life spent on anime bar to a version of their friend's that doesn't include the rewatches, or vis versa.

I think the Opt-in/out would satisfy more people if there was an option where the users opt-in/out of viewing all bars as including re-watches or not as like a setting in the profile maybe. The main problem would be signatures for which an option could be added to the signature page where a user asks that the bar included in their signature shows re-watches or doesn't show re-watches.

Mmag's color idea is also good, the only problem I see with it, is that even if you know that somebody is opt-in/out if you want to compare your bar to their's it doesn't change the fact that you would have to ask them to switch so that you could compare.

we're solving for the majority use case here and are adding the opt-in/out value to solve for the secondary use case, for people who want rewatches but don't want to see the total added.

it's true we could focus on adding a whole bunch of other small adjustments such as different colors, opting out of seeing rewatches, and lots of other things, but the priority is basically zero compared to moving on to completing the redesign and other big features. it would be a lot of effort with very minimal payoff for making a small handful of users happy.

i'm sorry that some of you aren't interested in the feature and think it'll be a blight on the site or something - you can choose to not use the feature if you don't want to.

i probably spend as much if not more time re-watching than i do with the first watch....

I can't even begin to count how many times I have re-watched the full first season of Higurashi, and I've seen the full first series of naruto multiple times as well (sadly even most of the fillers got a rewatch), and during the last cour I've been been marathoning all of the available AoT episodes in the hours before the new ones get released. Every week without fail.

My life spent on anime bar hasn't been moving at all really for the past few weeks despite me consistently watching 2-3 hours a day of anime. It currently isn't an accurate display of my life spent on anime. Sure this new feature has the potential for abuse, but if you want to compare the amount of series watched wouldn't the unique number of titles be a better comparison?

And last but not least, probably the biggest bonus this new feature brings is I won't have to rely on Linksword's totally safe and legit anime recommendations to increase my watch count. This feature is even saving my innocence and my sanity! Sothis be praised!

If you add a series as watched multiple times will it count towards the number of anime you've seen overall?

re "Just don't use it": The issue at play here is other people using it. The theory being that other people using it will cause problems like not being able to compare or whatever.

sothis: How hard would it be to have the system add some little badge to sigs of people who have opted in? ie If you see someone with a small star on the bottom right corner of their sigs, after the "years", you would know that they are using the rewatched option.
For instance, someone who opted out might look like this:
Pidjiken.jpg

...While someone who opted in might look like this:
ap-rewatch-badge.jpg

Personally, I think this does give a more accurate LSoA number (assuming people are truthful), but that it will be nearly impossible to remember how many times I saw a series (especially when dealing with a broadcast series, where you never kept track of how many reruns you saw, nor how many eps you saw of the show each time it re-aired, etc).

Valid enough point, but if someone marks something they haven't watched as watched they still won't be able to answer questions or hold a conversation about the anime in particular because they haven't actually seen it.
There are a multitude of anime in my watched list I could not hold much of a conversation about as I simply don't remember that anime very well. A contributing factor in why I choose to rewatch a few things, especially after a number of years have passed. Should I unmark it as watched?

-

I'm confused how a rewatch feature interferes with comparing timelines. A rewatch is still time spent on anime. Where's the difference between the person who strives to always watch a new series, and a person that likes to revisit their favourites? How does 3-4 extra days of time credited to rewatches of my favourite series invalidate my entire timeline? How is this different to someone marking something as "watched" when they played an anime on their second monitor in the background as they used Skype or played WoW? How is it different to someone who has 3 months of watched time on <100 series because they always watch long-running shounen? There's no true reliability in this system, the entire thing is relative and already open to abuse.

An opt-in badge on the sig seems ridiculous, seems more of a "questionable content" mark of shame in this instance.

I'm sorry some of you see your timeline as some kind of measurable anime penis.

There are a multitude of anime in my watched list I could not hold much of a conversation about as I simply don't remember that anime very well. A contributing factor in why I choose to rewatch a few things, especially after a number of years have passed. Should I unmark it as watched?

Not at all, I don't expect you to remember the entire series but then again I wouldn't think you'd forget the entire thing either. I was just explaining as to why I think there is a difference in falsely marking things.

This seems like finally agreeing to suck a dick after being asked time after time after time.

-

I'm confused how a rewatch feature interferes with comparing timelines. A rewatch is still time spent on anime. Where's the difference between the person who strives to always watch a new series, and a person that likes to revisit their favourites? How does 3-4 extra days of time credited to rewatches of my favourite series invalidate my entire timeline? How is this different to someone marking something as "watched" when they played an anime on their second monitor in the background as they used Skype or played WoW? How is it different to someone who has 3 months of watched time on <100 series because they always watch long-running shounen? There's no true reliability in this system, the entire thing is relative and already open to abuse.

An opt-in badge on the sig seems ridiculous, seems more of a "questionable content" mark of shame in this instance.

I'm sorry some of you see your timeline as some kind of measurable anime penis.

there is no way to call shenanigans on any claim because if you want to quiz them they can just Google the anime for answers if they are that desperate to convince someone they don't know ...or tell you to piss off...and as i said before ....who cares...

Can I please ask how LSoA badges will interact with this new feature? As for example I got the 1 month LSoA badge by accident when I marked a 70-80ep series as watched, but then realised I got the series confused with another one (it was an old 80's series). I passed the 1 month mark properly shortly after as I was right on the verge of it anyway, but I still got the badge for it early (and it didn't disappear after I corrected my mistake, so I did have a fake 1 month badge for a little while. At least IIRC, as it was all some time ago now).

So will the new feature account for such potential accidents, since if someone uses the feature, but doesn't want re-watches to count towards their LSoA calculations, then when the feature launches that person might start adding re-watches, but not know about the "yes/no count towards LSoA" option. And in that case how long does that person have to tick the box (opt out) before LSoA badges start being awarded? As someone might not realise for days or weeks (months) that it has affected their LSoA calculations until a new LSoA badge appears (and only then realise that re-watches have affected their LSoA calculations)

So another reason why I mentioned (earlier in thread) it might be better to be "opt in" rather than "opt out" (of re-watches automatically counting towards LSoA calculations)

Uhh I am beginning to think that everyone is over thinking this whole thing.....it's nice that the actual amount of time you spend watching anime can be......idk....
Credited uuh...displayed...ah...what ever...but the actual number off anime you have watched won't change and will still be on your dog if you set it up that way......still... it's just anime......you watch it for fun.....right???....this isn't a contest......

Uhh I am beginning to think that everyone is over thinking this whole thing.....it's nice that the actual amount of time you spend watching anime can be......idk....
Credited uuh...displayed...ah...what ever...but the actual number off anime you have watched won't change and will still be on your dog if you set it up that way......still... it's just anime......you watch it for fun.....right???....this isn't a contest......

You did said that is true but there are just people who have competitive nature in them that sometimes can't be good.It just human nature that sometimes like to compete into something big or small even something silly so it just how they like and there are some who just like to see a almost accurate measurement to something they spent time on.There maybe a lot of reason to this and now it just best that feedback was just given to made the best of all this.

We will not be adding signature badges that indicate 'times watched' (large effort for a small handful of users instead of spending time on more important things), and the badges will work exactly as they have in the past. if they mark times watched, it counts towards life on anime.

again, i'm starting to repeat myself but we're building this for the most common use case.

guys, please note that there are already people who cheat on the site. if you're so irritated by it, you probably shouldnt be on any site where it's possible to get a life on anime count. there's nothing stopping that person who'd mark 10x to mark seeing all of some long series to up their count (i see people SAY they are doing this because we don't have times rewatched, as an example)

Hmm I was not even thinking of the LSoA badges. Honestly its not that I care if others abuse it, its more about me an my circle of friends. And not giving them the temption to abuse it, making it harder to compare.

So still conflicted, Dont know if I want.

it's easier for a person to say to their friends "hey, can you keep it non-fake so we can compare?" than for me to make a feature that makes every single person of the 400,000 who use the site a month happy :)

Back