Coming soon: badges 2.0

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Mar 16, 2019 at 7:58 PM.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Anime-Planet's badges feature launched over 8 years ago with our V3 design. We launched with an initial set of quirky designs, but the badge feature hasn't been updated since then.

The badges have become dated looking, and with our new brand and design launching recently, we've begun working on Badges 2.0.

What changes are coming?

• Shiny new badge designs that are more modern, and fit with the new brand.

• New badges!

• Removal of some badges.

• We plan to deprecate any badges that only a selected few have access to. For example, staff badges will be replaced with different non-badge icons displayed on the profiles. The goal is that everyone can have a chance to earn each badge.

• Long ago, we launched a large set of 'gift' badges that you could give to yourself or a friend with a donation to the server fund. Not many of these were gifted, and we feel it's better to focus on new badges that everyone can enjoy than on redesigning these dozens of badges.

When are these changes coming?

• We've begun to create new designs for the most common badges. We likely will release them in batches, with announcements for each batch.

• We're also updating our badge tooling behind the scenes, so that we can more easily add new badge types. This will be a later release.

Some badges will be difficult to redesign, because they are now hand created - no screenshots are possible. We plan to post requests to the community to help brainstorm ideas for certain badges, which we can then design and create. Be on the lookout for these posts!

2. Hoozuki

Hoozuki Forum Moderator Database Moderator

This will serve as excellent motivation for me to work toward collecting badges! I must have all the shiny things. :love:

CaptainSlow and Nicknames like this.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM
  3. Helbaworshipper

Helbaworshipper Database Moderator

I will search for the shiny things perhaps... But they must be fun to achieve...

thor123 and Nicknames like this.
  4. commonxreaction

commonxreaction Well-Known Member

You have my attention.

Nicknames likes this.
  5. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

I wanted to also mention that we might be removing some of the more 'complicated' badges. The best way to ensure we can create more, frequent badges is by limiting them to ones that fit certain patterns for the new badge tool. This might mean we need to remove a small handful of amusing, but relatively complex (in coding) badges. If/when we do have to remove those, we'll announce it.

Nicknames likes this.
  6. EternalYumeLove

EternalYumeLove Well-Known Member

Sound great!!!

Nicknames likes this.
  7. Starra

Starra Database Moderator

So long as I can have some kind of badge indicating that I shill my fave series too much I have no complains.

(Just kidding, in all seriousness I'm super excited!)

Nicknames likes this.
  8. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

Omegaverse badge needed. We've got so much more of it in the system than other sites, might as well make a badge for those who come here to mark it!
    :banana:

Kari5, CaptainSlow and Nicknames like this.
  9. ATanCommander

ATanCommander New Member

Exciting! I can't wait for it! :D

Nicknames likes this.
  10. RoyalOss

RoyalOss Database Moderator

Need that 3 bananas badge :banana::banana::banana:

Nicknames likes this.
  11. KebaFox

KebaFox New Member

At first, I never had much interest in badges, but now you have my attention. Once they're rolled out, I think I'm going to start rating my anime like crazy. (I haven't rated any yet, if you're wondering.)

May I ask why no screenshots? Is it an issue of copyright? In any case, I'll keep my eyes peeled for brainstorming posts. I'd like to get more involved with A-P, and this might be a good way to do it.

Nicknames likes this.
  12. feinraf

feinraf Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this!

Nicknames likes this.