Comics and Graphic Novels Discussion

Thoughts on Star Wars: Crimson Empire, Parts 1-3:
Its been a while since I read Star Wars related content, and this felt pretty good for the most part. At least until part 3, where they kind of fucked up the character development for Kir Kanos and Mirith Sinn, where the writer didn't really build up to how they changed. They didn't have the original writer Ridley on board, so that's on them I guess.

But the concept for the story is pretty cool. In the comics, Emperor Palpatine was betrayed by one his own elite guards, Carnor Jax, in his attempt to seize power. Kir Kanos is on this revenge quest, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to take down Carnor Jax for betraying the emperor. Definitely an anti-hero in the Star Wars universe. But I think when he met Mirith Sinn, he really started to show layers to his character.

Its a shame that part 3 didn't do enough with the characters, but at least it wasn't as bad as the prequel movies.

Thanks to a certain Gainax show re-watch, I started re-reading More than Meets the Eye for the nth time. I decided to skip its sister title for now, because Bumblebee is such a bore and not making the political machinations all that fun. I'll just make up my own plot once Dark Cybertron comes along.

Volume 1 has some real fun foreshadowing and stuff, but I'd hoped to get some new favourite bots, but Cyclonus, Ratchet, Ultra Magnus, Swerve, and Cyclonus still reign supreme of the first part.

I also forgot how good Alex Milne's line art is. Dude draws some sweet sci-fi stuff.

Baby comic reader here. Finished The Watchmen earlier this year and loved it. I plan on starting Court Of Owls soon, is there anything outside of Batman that you guys would recommend from DC? Already have a good idea on what I wanna read when it comes to Marvel.

Baby comic reader here. Finished The Watchmen earlier this year and loved it. I plan on starting Court Of Owls soon, is there anything outside of Batman that you guys would recommend from DC? Already have a good idea on what I wanna read when it comes to Marvel.

Still not outside of Batman but there's multiple awesome Batgirl runs (Babs, Cass, Steph), Gotham Central which centers on the GCPD and their work, Gotham Academy, Grant Morrison-era JLA and so much more. My knowledge on non-superhero stuff from DC is a bit lacking but I loved Lobo back then. If you're into horror there's multiple anthology books like House of Secrets, House of Mystery and Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion.

Thanks for the recommendations. If I may be greedy and ask for another, are there any good comics revolving around Two-Face? He was my favorite character in Batman: TAS but I've been pretty disappointed in how he's been portrayed as an afterthought in other adaptations like the Arkham games.

Thanks for the recommendations. If I may be greedy and ask for another, are there any good comics revolving around Two-Face? He was my favorite character in Batman: TAS but I've been pretty disappointed in how he's been portrayed as an afterthought in other adaptations like the Arkham games.

The Long Halloween and Dark Victory for starters, there's a few one-shots that are pretty good and he's the main villain in one of the best (imo) Gotham Central story arcs.

I feel your pain, I have the same view of Two-Face in most Batman media that isn't TAS or selected comic books these days where he feels most like a henchman who robs banks. Feels like telling his origin story over and over is the most interesting thing about him when he's actually one of the most tragic and complex villains from Batman's rogue gallery.

fCVczR4.png

Bumping this thread from the GREAT BEYOND for Halloween month. Been having fun reading Devil's Candy. Tsulala's art is seriously fucking god tier level and they also were the lead artist for River City Girls:

KKRfiqi.jpg

ORVYxkE.jpg

So I just started to read the Sonic the Hedgehog IDW comics, and they are weirdly good!
It's apparently created in part by the same people who did Sonic Mania, which explains a lot.

The comic feels a bit odd since it makes most of the Sonic games canon(except Sonic Boom, though it clearly took a lot of setting-stuff from it) the comic being a direct sequel to the Sonic Forces game.

The story gets weirdly dark at times, reminding me of the 90s TV show that didn't suck.
But it's also surprisingly sweet and tender.
Whisper-sonic-dwt.jpg

I imagine showing this comic to my childhood self. I'd have died from hype.

Oh man, the Jason vs Leatherface comic is nuts. The whole thing is about Jason being confused because he's in love with Leatherface. The whole comic is Jason reflecting on his abuse as a child, then realizing that it makes him want to protect Leatherface from his abusive brothers. They still end up fighting eventually, but it hurts Leatherface to attack Jason, he's just doing it to protect his family. It even ends with Leatherface throwing Jason a damn rose. The comic is hella gay. I have no idea how it got past the editors, but I am glad it did.

Best moment is Jason telling Leatherface his name by writing it out in chili on the wall.
yzJEumv.jpg

Oh man, the Jason vs Leatherface comic is nuts. The whole thing is about Jason being confused because he's in love with Leatherface. The whole comic is Jason reflecting on his abuse as a child, then realizing that it makes him want to protect Leatherface from his abusive brothers. They still end up fighting eventually, but it hurts Leatherface to attack Jason, he's just doing it to protect his family. It even ends with Leatherface throwing Jason a damn rose. The comic is hella gay. I have no idea how it got past the editors, but I am glad it did.

Best moment is Jason telling Leatherface his name by writing it out in chili on the wall.
yzJEumv.jpg

I love reading anime. My dad discovered the anime world for me in my early childhood, even when I couldn't read. Since then, I read duets a lot of comics every day. In addition, I am interested in mathematics and often turn to the service https://assignmentbro.com/us/do-my-math-homework if I have difficulty with various math tasks.
I agree, this is really the best moment!

The early days of isolation during the pandemic (idk what that was as evinced by Sweden's totally-great-strategy) meant Dark Horse gave away a fuckton of old comics for free. I read through the Comic's Greatest World stuff with X, Barb Wire (I had no idea it was a comic and not just an excuse to see Pamela Anderson do a strip-tease!) and some other ill-fated try for a multiverse. But I was reminded of Ghost and a blogpost I read about it, so I decided to check it out to see if it was bonkers with odd gender politics. Lo and behold, three days later I've read over 40 issues and man, it was a ride.

The "men bad and lustful predators" schtick is fun, because Eric Luke's sympathies lie with the protagonist, and it's far from any misdirected "angry woman all the time means feminism" that the late eighties and nineties yankmerican media propagated. Early villains tend to have very exploitative superpowers, whether making women docile, men unable to control their urges or just pump everyone full of pheromones until they get stupid horny. It gets into ridiculous lengths later on, and there's a real grating mismatch between the arguably anti-patriarchy message, clumsy as it is, and the insanely cheesecake art. Ghost's lace-up cleavage bodice is weird, but when Adam Hughes took over the art almost every other artist had to keep up with the increased levels of badonkadonk he established. Ivan Reis gave her some truly '90s gazongas when he took over as a regular artist. The 2013 reboot has a less outré costume design.

There's queerbaiting galore after about episode 19 (Ghost kissing Barb Wire freaks out a town of heteronormative gender essentialists that they crumble), self-cest (getting it on with others means Ghost can escape her self-made psychic hell or something, even if that someone is herself) and a scene in which our protagonist has to perform a striptease for a sleazeball villain and the artist really leans into it. You could argue that it's showing us, the readers, as mirroring the behaviour of sleaze-ball Parker, but eh, screw that type of media criticism. "herp derp titty lady on cover means you want everyone to debase themselves for you hurr durr" The comic has many failed attempts at having its cake and eat also it, but it's still much better at it than contemporary bad girl comics.

As for the actual plots, they're passable for the most part, but the wheels start to wobble after issue 24 or so, and the last six issues of Eric Luke's run are highly missable. It was cancelled for a reason, and we didn't even get around to reveal the actual central mystery of the comic! I daren't read the 1997 run for fear of its grimdarkness reaching very edgy levels. Also, I can only take so much nineties media before I start having nightmares about backwards baseball caps, Kevin Smith films, and stonewashed jeans. The characterisation is very even, but deep character studies are left out. Loved ones get killed off for angst, hunk heroes show that #notallmen, vicious robber baron criminal gangsters want profit over all, and Dr. October keeps flashing her tits to show off the duality of sex and horror. The usual nineties fare. Oh, and there's a dominatrix villain who wants to kill all men but also all the women she deems to be victims or complicit in exploitation, just to show us how our protagonist could've turned bad.

All in all, a fun excursion into '90s grimdarkness.

Last edited:
Just read Enki Bilal's Memories of Outer Space and Outer Time. I find it hard to connect with this kind of stories, neither the humor or the 'dreams' and reminiscences of most of the characters, but in a way, it reminds me of works from Karel Capek like RUR and The Absolute at Large, and The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers. Weird how early horror and sci-fi stories have common denominators with body transmutation and existential horror.

His use of green, orange, and black in his earlier works is interesting, he used it mainly to differentiate current events (green) from memories (orange), the more relevant the event the brighter the color.

oBAdURC.jpg

G2c3wHI.png

tnolx4q.png

I've been reading these oldies just to see the influences in more recent sci-fi comics, especially for space opera and superhero stories, it is helping me understand what is good and how historical events of the previous century shaped the contents. Like cold war and the soviet themes, lol, I guess after the current invasion of Ukraine I don't see those in the same way anymore.

And now to enjoy one I was able to purchase, these adaptations by Marvano of Joe Haldeman's The Forever War and Forever Free. Some friends insisted it is a solid adaptation of the novels.

e2JH7IY.jpg

(See the thing about the bright orange, with black and white?)

Back