Comics and Graphic Novels Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by HasseRovdjur, Mar 1, 2017.

1. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Today's new comics day, and it inspired me to finally make a thread about comic books. Feel free to post about comic strips, web comics, bande dessinée, graphic novels, and superhero stuff. It's all fair game. Do note that there is a thread dedicated to the Batman franchise elsewhere.

(I think that there used to be a thread for this, but my half-hearted search yielded no results.)

2. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on Mar 1, 2017
    This is a thread that I can get behind.

Currently reading stuff:

Giant Days - a great comedy about a group of (british) uni students. Gains points because one of the characters comes from a town 10 minutes down the road from me.

Motor Crush - this has only just started, but I think it has been a pretty good start. It's the same team behind the Batgirl of Burnside series that I absolutely loved, and the amazing art style has carried over, only this time it has motorbikes and drugs and shit.

Lady Killer 2 - great series this. It's about a paid assassin in 50s/60s America. She's also a housewife with the ol' Nuclear Family, and it's fun seeing her juggle both lives. Almost as fun as seeing her repeatedly stab people in the neck with a kitchen knife.

Shout outs to:

The first 17 issues of Lumberjanes - The original creative team on this made a really fun supernatural girl scout camp romp through a fantastical world of mythical beasts and shamans and shit. It's hella fun with some great characters. I'm not a massive fan of the team that took over, the following issues just didn't have the same spark, and the characters seemed to completely boil down to their most obvious traits. A massive shame.

Above the Clouds
    - beautifully drawn fantasy series that concentrates far more on visual storytelling than it does on text heavy exposition. As a result, it's a pretty simple story, but really atmospheric.

That's it for the minute.

3. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Mar 1, 2017
    I'll have to admit that I have mostly read suphero stuff and related graphic novel classics. I never really expanded my viewpoint past that, but I know more obvious stuff like Preacher and Sandman.

Before the superheroes I read/Iooked at a lot of Donald Duck pocket books, Asterix, Lucky Luke, Peanuts and other similar stuff. I discovered superhero comics through my dad who owns a shitload of 70s Batman, Superman and Spiderman/Marvel comics.

Marvel also did Dracula and Frankenstein in the 70s and together with a certain Tales From The Crypt paperback those three things (again, all dad's stuff) sparked my early interest in the horror genre. So yeah, comic books were almost always the first thing that showed me something new, like DC's 90s Lobo and Spawn introduced me to gore/body horror..

ZetsubouKaiji, Taek and HasseRovdjur like this.
  4. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

What I'm currently reading:

Giant Days: What Tae wrote, except nobody comes from around here. It also sates what little Anglophilia I have, so no Sherlock or Who needed for me. What's great about it is that, more than 24 issues in, the pacing is still great and it accomplishes quite a lot in one issue. Great art with lots of distinct and expressive faces by Lissa Tremain and Max Alison.

Hulk: The only superhero book I'm currently reading, and it has no superheroics. It's quite interesting, but eh, I'll give it one more issue.

Lady Killer. What Tae wrote.

Monstress: Good fantasy that doesn't info dump your immersion to hell and back.

Motor Crush: Vroom vroom.

Paper Girls: Engaging story that has taken a few twists and turns. Great set or characters here as well, and scratches the nostalgia itch just as well as Stranger Things does.

Shutter: Great shit. Currently holding off on reading until this arc finishes.

Transformers: Lost Light: It's not AS good as MTMTE, but still damn good. I am still not used to the new artist, and the plot is a bit on the slow burn compared to MTMTE, which has to be one of the most conceptually dense comics out there. One issue could easily be three issues in other, lesser titles (or in the case of Bleach, two tankoubons worth of story).

The Wicked + The Divine: Fun modern fantasy. Same as Shutter though: on hold for now.

Schizm, ZetsubouKaiji and Taek like this.
  5. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Do yourself a favor and watch the super amazing anime movies based on those comics. You don't get quality like this every day. Just peep this animation:

[​IMG]
    It totally doesn't look like this is one massive projectile vomit attack.

Apparently, Dr. Frankenstein decided that one forehead wasn't enough so he sewed together four or five of them:

[​IMG]

Schizm likes this.
  6. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Mar 1, 2017
    Dude, I've seen Sovereign of the Damned in all its shitty Dracula-munching-on-a-burger glory. I also remember the ridicule it received from you guys as a buddy group, I think. It's like a super-condensed version of the comic book. No need to relive that with Frankenstein's Monster, no sir.

The last thing I read that comes close to a graphic novel was DC's I...Vampire, which was part of the New 52 for crossovers with John Constantine. It originally comes from House of Mystery, an anthology comic book series for horror/fantasy stuff.

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  7. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a comic reader these days unlike back in college when I pretty much read anything I lay my hands on, BUT I started DC Rebirth this year and slowly chipping away. I'm enjoying it so far though I'm still pretty iffy with the whole Watchmen thing. I haven't touched Marvel's relaunch yet.

Schizm likes this.
  8. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Posted by Thrawn on Mar 1, 2017
    Currently going through the Crossed franchise. It's like reading DTAB picks, except with more incest, a bit more nudity and downer endings.

Which isn't a spoiler because holy fuckballs look at that cover! Any cover! You know everybody is going to die or most people will die and have a shitty end to their tale. Or worse than death. Always worse than death on a consistent, constant basis. Death is always favorable because this has literally everything that goes into an R rating except smoking Super Crack while doing heroin and meth in one coked up syringe. But it also has
    HORSECOCK

Naga and Schizm like this.
  9. KnoxSe7eN

KnoxSe7eN Active Member

Haven't read too many comics/G.Ns and for some reason I'm drawing a blank as to what I have read.

I know I've read all the Dragon Age ones and most of the Witcher ones(I think) other than that Scott Pilgrim. I think I read a Turok comic.

Schizm likes this.
  10. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Posted by Jamie on Mar 1, 2017
    Where to start? Well, I guess with what I'm currently reading/buying/is on my pull list.

Dark Horse:

Chimichanga

It's... well, it's weird, really weird. I mean, it's Eric Powell writing about an odd little bearded girl who lives with a traveling circus and has an odd monster thing as a pet.

DC:

Batman
    Detective Comics
    Gotham Academy
    Flintstones
    Scooby Apocalypse
    Astro City

Not much here. There was a time I was buying and reading a bit more DC stuff. I've cut down the Bat books to just the main two. Gotham Academy is still enjoyable, sort of a light Gotham/Bat related book. Flinstones is still surprisingly great. Scooby Apocalypse is still an odd duck, but Scooby-Doo pretty much has always been an odd property... this iteration just more so than others. And Astro City is like a gold standard of how to do classic super hero comics with class and a heavy focus on character stories. Also, Astro City does something that is rarely done in any other super hero book, examines the support structure of a world with super powered people.

IDW:

TMNT (regular, subcription, and RI covers)
    TMNT Universe (regular, subcription, and RI covers)
    Atomic Robo (regular and subscription covers)
    M.A.S.K.

The IDW TMNT series is by far the best incarnation of the Turtles in my opinion. Atomic Robo is an amazingly fun romp of science and pseudo-science. As for M.A.S.K., nostalgia.

Image:

Royal City
    Rat Queens
    Southern Bastards
    Spread
    Copperhead
    I Hate Fairyland
    Sex Criminals
    Black Science
    East of West
    Shutter
    Paper Girls
    Velvet
    Birthright
    Walking Dead (TPB)

I'm always surprised that I read so much Image. I don't know why, because Image consistently publishes quality books. Not gonna go over all of these, but here's a few. Southern Bastards is about exactly what it's title is. If you are from or have lived in a small southern town for a few year at any point in your life, Southern Bastards will feel eerily familiar. Spread is like taking John Carpenter's The Thing and taking it to it's worst possible outcome. And it also has a Mad Max like feel to it as well. If ya want a western that is all about the long game, that's an alternate reality to our own where the US is actually split between several nations, with future tech and a supernatural element, East of West should be checked out. It's a bit difficult to follow, and like most Jonathan Hickman stories/books will require more than one read through to pick up and understand everything. With Birthright it's your classic "boy transported to another world/reality destined to be the chosen one" setup/story. But, what if he not only failed to defeat the evil villain but also became it's servant?

Marvel:

Hulk
    Infamous Iron Man
    Invincible Iron Man
    Ms. Marvel
    Deadpool
    Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    DareDevil
    Doctor Strange
    Silver Surfer
    Old Man Logan
    All New Wolverine
    Weapon X
    Unworthy Thor
    Mighty Thor
    Punisher
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Spider-Man/Deadpool
    Power Man and Iron Fist
    Uncanny Avengers
    Avengers
    All New X-Men
    Extraodinary X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men
    X-Men: Blue
    X-Men: Gold

Ahh... I think that's everything... maybe? So yeah, I probably look like a Marvel fanboy from that. And, to be fair, I have always been a Marvel person. Anyways, that's way too much stuff to even begin talking about any of it without making this post way longer than it already is. But, a quick run down of some favorites, Wolverine, Thor, Surfer, and X-Men.

I was reading a bunch of Spider-Man, but then Dan Slott finally went too far for me with his Clone Conspiracy story. There are just some things I don't want messed with in comics. And doing some retcon work on the death of Gwen Stacey is one of them. Really, Marvel needs to stop letting him do whatever the fuck he wants with Spidey. I mean, it could be worse, way worse, like what Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner have done with Harley Quinn. Then again, I don't think DC really gives one single shit since Harley sells books no matter what.

Not in any of those list is just about anything that David Petersen puts out. Absolutely love his Mouse Guard series and am really anticipating the next series of Mouse Guard. Most recently I picked up The Wind in the Willows: With Illustrations by David Petersen. A nice hardcover with his beautiful animal artwork illustrating a classic.

Ah... anything else I can toss into this post? Oh yeah, here's my current collection of trades and hardcovers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need a new shelf for TPBs and HCs.

HasseRovdjur, Taek, Schizm and 2 others like this.
  11. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

M.A.S.K? Aces, I could see myself reading this. I always wondered what 80s title that could be mined for new development. I might have a hard time not humming along to the title song, or lamenting the long loss of the Venom motorbike and sidecar.

Anyhow, for those who are in the Northwest, ECCC is going on Tomorrow and through the weekend.
    15th year, so not terribly old
    http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/

Schizm likes this.
  12. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Posted by Jamie on Mar 1, 2017
    IDW is basically the home of comics based off 80's Saturday morning cartoons. Here's a quick list of such books.

TMNT
    Transformers
    G.I. Joe
    M.A.S.K.
    Jem and the Holograms
    Ghostbusters

IDW also published all of the Cartoon Network related comics. The Samurai Jack series is a must read for fans of the cartoon. For a brief time the 2013 comic series was consider canon. With the announcement of the new series/season of Samurai Jack they were no longer canon. So, we'll now have two verging Samurai Jack realities and you can choose which ever you keep as head canon. That's a win/win.

Also, to be fair, IDW doesn't have any shame capitalizing on people's nostalgia. Yet, I also feel like they do a good job of ensuring the books they put out based on pop culture icons aren't horrible.

Oh, and for your listening pleasure.

Funkgun and Schizm like this.
  13. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

Yeah, I bought some of the IDW Transformers series' and only a bit of GIJOE. I dug the overall glossy looking bulky Transformers and grittier story for both.
    Seeing that I used to collect the original Transfomers comics up to the Headmasters, I just had to jump at the "new"er title. Now, I say newer I have not bought any of the new stuff in a long, long time as well. Time marches on...

Probably no chance these guys would do a Galaxy Rangers series?

Ah, that tune takes me back. I am suddenly at home watching a morning cartoon channel, bowl of Kix in hand and watching commercials about being a Toys R Us Kid.

Jamie likes this.
  14. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Posted by Jamie on Mar 3, 2017
    I'd love to get into the IDW Transformers stuff, but there's so much (or it seems like there is) and I I think it is... and isn't?... all tied together. Or something? I should probably eventually get around to figuring out what the reading order is and start slowly picking away at it through trades. But, I don't know if I want to get that invested into Transformers trades. That, and I think it's all it's own thing, so there's all of that canon to learn.

Let's be honest, Funk, Galaxy Rangers needs to stay in the past. I tried to watch all of Galaxy Rangers on youtube a few months back and it's was like taking a ball-peen hammer to my cranium for 20 minutes at a time. Mostly because it's obvious that there was some potential for the show that I'm guessing was completely shot down by less than needed budget (I think I've talked about this elsewhere on the forums... or fucking somewhere at the very least, I know I ranted about Galaxy Rangers at some point before). Galaxy Rangers is a perfect example of an 80's cartoon that can't live up to it's intro. The intro also tells you everything you need to know about the show. Which... that's basically all of them... on both accounts.

But ah, I wouldn't say no chance. And if not IDW, there's a few publishers that will seemingly publish anything. Probably mostly all down to a licensing thing and someone wanting or having a Galaxy Rangers story to tell. I mean, Boom! has been selling Power Rangers comics like crazy recently. And I don't know if it's because Power Rangers fans are losing their damn minds over nostalgia or it's because of all of the variants that are being printed or if it's actually good, or some combination. I know that once that new movie releases those 1st issue, first printing variants are going to be profitable for those that have them.

Because there's a common thing these days. People speculating on comics briefly jumping in value around the release of a movie. I probably hear something from my LCS owner about once a month about some smartass jackhole asking if he has a particular 1st issue or first appearance. Because they either are rarely ever in the shop or it's their first time being there and the attitude and vibe they're giving off makes it obvious they're just hoping to capitalize off him somehow not knowing what something is worth. And it's made real obvious when they say this line, "but, I can get it for less on ebay." If that was really the case, they'd've already done so.

Funkgun likes this.
  15. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

Too late forgetting about it, I already had a drinking game going through the Galaxy Rangers.
    Every Time they made a horribly ugly alien with a oldy western drawl or, mildly offensive accent I took a shot...

... I never made it though an entire episode.
    [​IMG]

Let's face it, ALL of the series in that era had an intro that was paid for by a studio in Japan, then the rest of the story was : 5 episodes where you paid for the higher end animation, 10 episodes where you could cut the budget., and then 72 more that were done by 10 guys with crayons and markers on the cheap in a sweaty office in the slums of downtown.
    TMNT, Transformers, GIJoe, Thundercats, all had 1 out of 5 episodes that looked anywhere half decent the rest of them had missing frames, loss of detail, or ham-fisted cuts that would make Ed Wood cry.

But Galaxy Rangers had a certain element. It was basically a space western, with freaking Clint Eastwood as the rouge with a cool adaptive power for environment (he is like a Sentinel. The main leader who is a grizzled older man, with a captured wife by an evil queen sucking on souls and one of the HOTTEST animated gals I have ever seen in an 80's cartoon. The fact it had a black computer hacker (oh and some of the first U.S. cartoon usage of CG) made it somehow more indelible. Basically, you had Bravestar or Star Wars movie clones for your Space Cowboy adventures at this point. I did not read Gardians of the Galaxy, so for me it was not until Firefly that I got a legitimate title that felt like Galaxy Rangers.

Now, all that said... it was like you said, a relic. Awash in the annals of shows so squarely aimed at kiddos from 5-10 that they could not help but put some crappy characters,But so was almost anything from that era.

In fact out of all the shows I have rewatched from the past when I was a kid, The only "cartoons" to have artistic merit years later were 50s Looney Tunes, Disney's animation farm of the 80s (Ducktails, Tale Spin, rescue Rangers) and most converted Anime titles like Voltron or Ulysses 31. And even they dropped in quality after a bit.

HasseRovdjur, Taek and Jamie like this.
  16. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Posted by Jamie on Mar 4, 2017
    Dude, that's likely a deadly drinking game if you actually stuck to it! Heh.

Also, of the Disney cartoon series, I think THE 4 that all have that same vibe about them and are still fantastic are DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. DuckTales is also the gold standard of Disney TV cartoon series in my book.

Which, Boom! published a Darkwing Duck comic and a short lived DuckTales comic. And there was a crossover story between the two books. But, there's some controversy about both books. Still worth reading them though. At the very least there's some fantastic 80's references on some of the covers. Such as the Darkwing Duck Annual that referenced The Killing Joke (scroll down for it in that link).

I don't think I need to tell you, Funk, but for everyone else, I highly suggest tracking down a copy of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa, and the compendium (also by Rosa). It's the history of Scrooge McDuck's life, starting with where he was born and lived as a child and goes on to tell the stories of how he made his fortune and became the richest duck in the world. The compendium is a collection of comics that would add to the story inbetween a few issues.

It's one of those comics that if you like comics at all, you should check it out. And maybe continue to pick up and read Don Rosa's other Duck comics. If nothing else, try finding the hidden "D.U.C.K." in his comic covers and the opening panel of his comics... or the last page.

Here, try finding it in this one.
    [​IMG]

Having trouble? Here's a hint.
    Check the chest.

But really, his artwork is quite beautiful and painstakingly detailed. If you're wondering how he could do something like draw so many coins so accurately, he used architect templates/stencils.

Sadly, but understandably, he's quite grouchy about his treatment by Disney. Who wouldn't credit him for his work, refused to return his finished artwork for comics, and even didn't compensate him for his work at times. He also likes to make mention how popular Donald Duck is in the rest of the world. Which might seem like he's exaggerating, but it's no Joke, Donald Duck is far more popular than Mickey in many parts of the world. He's also grouchy about the state of comics in the US, but to be honest, he kind of comes of as just being a grouchy old man about that.

HasseRovdjur, Taek and Schizm like this.
  17. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

@Jamie That's quite a pull list you've got there. Have you read the re-booted Rat Queens, and if so, care to comment on it? I read the old series, but forgot that it was going to be more of it until I saw it on Wednesday.

As Schizm's post shows, Donald Duck is indeed more popular than Mickey in a lot of countries. Same goes for Sweden (and the rest of Scandinavia), with the magazines and paperbacks bearing his name. As for that Scrooge book, turns out the university library has a translated copy. I doubt that I'll be able to track down an original language copy at a price that I can stomach, so I'll settle for that.

As for the IDW Transformers comics, as long as you're not a completionist, there are quite a few jumping on points, and you don't need to read all of the ongoing titles. The only annoying thing is that they, like almost all other non-creator owned-stuff, have to cross-reference each other to "motivate" you into checking out the other books.

ZetsubouKaiji, Jamie and Taek like this.
  18. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Posted by Jamie on Mar 4, 2017
    So, the new Rat Queens seems to be more of the same, which is good in the aspect that it's more Rate Queens. I had to look up what all went on between the old series and this new one. First, I seemed to have missed issue 16 from the last series, but I guess it doesn't matter since that was the last issue of that series and there wasn't any more after that. I also had no idea there was a bit of drama behind the scenes with the creators. Anyways, so, with that said, apparently it's a soft reboot, according to wikipedia. Which, I guess it has to be considering where issue 15 left off from the earlier series.

I guess I'll have to check for an issue 16 at my LCS. Maybe look into if they did do anything online after issue 16 as well.

Oh, and yeah, I guess I should have said something about the cost of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck trades (check your local libraries, folks). Seems any time they get re-released they sell out quickly and immediately shoot up in value. Which, there's a couple reasons for that. One, it's a great story and highly sought after. Two, Don Rosa is super picky about who he lets reprint any work with his name on it because of a history of people making money off his name without giving him credit or a cut of the profits. He also doesn't like it when poor, low quality reprints are done with poor translation and incorrect colors. He has some say on English language stuff, or the US released stuff, but internationally less so.

I got lucky some time ago when I found a 1st printing of the Gemstone trades on ebay. And then I immediately jumped on the Boom! releases when they came out. Which, they are the nicest English language version. Beautiful hardcover books on nice paper stock. Everything is super crisp and clear with coloring that pops.

Yeah, that is a problem for me. I am some what of a completionist. And speaking of cross-referencing, after finally reading the first 3 issues of M.A.S.K., I'm kind of annoyed that it starts where the end of the IDW's Revolution crossover left things. I wasn't following that, I only grabbed the issues of the stuff I was interested in. It's a pretty bad place to start a series if ya ask me. And it makes me think the series ain't going to last. What also doesn't help is inconsistent art continuity. And glaringly obvious at that, a real Robin Hood: Men in Tights' Prince John's mole issue. Which is a shame because the back of the book is doing an awesome little fan corner thing and interviews with those involved with the cartoon.

HasseRovdjur and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  19. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Yeah, the drama between Fowler and Wiebe was something that I never managed to figure out. And yes, I found an online webcomic compilation on Comixology for free. It was okay, I guess. Short skits with a bunch of different artists. I bought the new #1 (how very Marvel of them) as well, but I haven't read it yet,

I got a fucktonne of the Transformers comics on a couple of Humble Bundles, so I've read... the last seven years or so IDW put out, plus reprints of Marvel stuff, but there were more before that, so there is certainly a lot to collect. Until MTMTE and RiD, they are of pretty varying quality too. They had a big bundle for Revolution too, but I have an aversion against crossovers, so I skipped it. It's also why I didn't buy Marvel comics for a year. I just got fed up with the build-up for Civil War II and Bendis's shenanigans.

In fact, comic publishers, and IDW especially, do have a lot of sales and humble bundles going on, so it's usually easy to get stuff from your favourite franchise if you're willing to wait and don't mind digital comics. I got a bundle of D&D comics a while back, and I know they had at least two MLP humble bundles and a Star Trek one.

EDIT: Hell, they even have one now, but creator-owned titles this time. Guess I'll check it out...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  20. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

So...Magneto (You know, HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR Magneto) is apparently a Nazi now...I don't even read comic books, and I'm over here saying "What the hell".