Character tag list - feedback requested

going through them still, but here's some tags i added. AS ALWAYS please give the mods 1-2 days to input these first before you submit things.

-Sunglasses (existing glasses chars will need to be looked through)
-Bandanas/Bandana (hat should be looked through and headband, tbh)
-Dancers/Dancer
-Sword Fighters/Sword Fighter (for now let's not tag samurai as these, but I might want to double tag eventually... not sure about the spelling yet too)
-Shinsengumi (police should NOT be tagged at the same time)
-Reporters/Reporter (frankly I don't see this getting used much, you guys will need to prove me wrong for the tag to stay alive :p)

I don't know if I'm missing something, but is there no "Short" or "Small" etc tag? I'm thinking Edward Elric or Aisaka Taiga from Toradora! and I'm sure there are many many more that fit that tag.

i like the idea of 'short stature' or something similar. the problem is, where is the line drawn? do babies/children all get the tag? how about super little elderly people as generally depicated by anime?

or do we only tag people who have like, a height complex and get made fun of? if so, how many characters is that actually? i can only think of the two you mentioned

also added: actors/actor (i dont want to create actress too so itll have to cover both)

on a roll!

-Racers/racer
-Comic Relief (still defining this)
-Broken Record (not verbal tic - this is for people who wont stfu yelling a name etc such as miaka/tamahome)

let's talk personality tags.

im open to more 'serious' type tags, here's what people have mentioned:

-shy
-stoic
-serious
-quiet

i dont want a bunch of tags that are almost the same thing, and have a lot of confusion (and wasted mod time) due to excessive wrong submissions. so we'd need a very accurate description of each tag if we put up multiples. i'm open to suggestions -w hat do you think?

Well, shy and stoic can be completely different things, Like Anju Maaka and Yuki Nagato are stoic, verses Hinata who is very shy.

The stoic characters I more associate as being those of few words who rarely or never show emotion.

Seriousness can be on the lines of an emotion, but I also feel a little off on this. My spologies but I find myself unable to explain my reasoning.

As for quiet, I can't really think of any characters that aren't stoic or shy that fall under this. I could be wrong though.

Shy and Stoic should be tags. Quiet is unnecessary and usually fit under the last two categories. Serious...no, I don't think that's necessary.

i like the idea of 'short stature' or something similar. the problem is, where is the line drawn? do babies/children all get the tag? how about super little elderly people as generally depicated by anime?

or do we only tag people who have like, a height complex and get made fun of? if so, how many characters is that actually? i can only think of the two you mentioned

Can't remember the names offhand, but the tiny teacher in Sensei no Ojikan and the main Guy from Lovely Complex are two others I can think of...

The small teacher from the To Aru series, Ookami-san's Ringo, Taneshima Poplar of Working, the president from Seitokai no Ichizon, the tsundere from Seitokai Yakuindomo...all have short statures. (Though some of them are considered lolis, but we've run into some trouble with that).

I think this should be for characters who are short of their age, like Ed and Konata. Granted, in most cases, unless I'm mistaken, a lot of these have their height mentioned in some way or another. A character like Chiyo from Azumanga wouldn't be included even though she's shorter than the rest of the main cast, since she's only 10 years old.

The problem is, where would you draw the line for someone who is short? Like here, would Yuki Nagato be considered short (disregarding the fact she is most likely ageless), even though her height is never mentioned in the anime (to my recollection).

haruhi_movie_release.jpg

It's mentioned a few times how small and frail looking Yuki is.

I agree with making this the same as the "huge breasts" tag. If it's mentioned in the show it should be added.
The Mato in BRS is the newest example possible I'd say. It's always mentioned in romance/comedy series and i imagine it being predominant in sports ones too.

I also agree with stoic and shy. We have tsundere and bossy, and the like to cover serious.

Last edited:
let's talk personality tags.

I like Jtirs' suggestion for ojousama. Like tsundere, ojousama is a well known character archetype and there are a lot of characters who would fit the bill. There are the nicer gentler versions like Eri Sawachika from School Rumble and Chiyo from Azumanga. Then there's the more in your face types like Ayaka Yukihiro from Negima, and Chise UMENOMORI | Anime-Planet.

Determined/Driven might be a nice personality tag for those shounen characters who "never give up, ever."

Megalomaniac

Phobic (was said earlier but I'm rather attached to the idea)

Kuudere - pretty easy to spot, and more and more characters are popping up who are this type.

Greedy (been said before and it's still a decent idea)

that's all I've got for personality atm.
I like the idea of short stature or Chibi. It should only apply those those who are comically short for their age. Elderly people and children go unmarked. Like Ed from FMA, Taiga AISAKA | Anime-Planet, Suzu HAGIMURA | Anime-Planet, Mimina OSAWA | Anime-Planet, Mitsukuni HANINOZUKA | Anime-Planet, etc

Last edited:
I'm not sure how relevant Kuudere can be when we have stoic and shy already. It'd still love the tag but it'd be tagged with the other two constantly.
It depends whether we use it for all character or we break it into Kuudere and Dandere as well, which is unnecessary in my opinion.

I'm all for the other options except for phobic, due to how easily it'll clash with spoilers.

Determined/Driven might be a nice personality tag for those shounen characters who "never give up, ever."

Megalomaniac

Phobic (was said earlier but I'm rather attached to the idea)

Kuudere - pretty easy to spot, and more and more characters are popping up who are this type.

Greedy (been said before and it's still a decent idea)

Yeah, we need more personality tags, since we already have tsundere.
I'm all for the other options except for phobic, due to how easily it'll clash with spoilers.
Well...if it clashes with spoilers, then we don't tag it. And you could say every tag easily clashes with a spoiler-- kinda hard to figure out what you meant by that since I don't recall any outstanding phobic people who's phobia is a spoiler. What was meant was for those who were initially presented with a phobia, such as Ryoushi from Ookami-san, and Inami from Working!!. You couldn't tag them with anything else that would match (esp. not cowardly), and sometimes their phobia is a main part of their character.

Winner from Karin,
blood
phobic vampire hunter.
Haruhi from Ouran, knowing her
thunder
phobia.

Both would ruin the surprise and suspense created on the big reveal. Though thinking about it, "phobic" says nothing as to what they're phobic about. It only says they'll be scared of something at some point.
My bad, it's impossible to spoil. >_>

I was thinking more for Phobias that are obvious. Like Gil's fear of cats from Pandora Hearts. Weird obsessions would be another interesting idea. Like Sebastian's extreme love of cats, and that girl from Azumanga..... Both of those characters are totally kitty crazy.

any tag that constitutes a spoiler does not get added period.

As to the above I don't think we have a stoic tag yet. We do have a shy tag, but I think that's something entirely different then Kuudere. People who are shy around the person they like, get nervous etc. I'm fine with Stoic, as I said months back. Anyway it's not really up to any of us... all we can do is build a decent case for why we need these tags :D

What do you think about Ojousama?

Ojousama is definitely common enough IMO, but I can't say I'm found of it being called that.
Can't think of an English equivalent though either. Wouldn't Noblewomen do?
At least the "sama" needs to be dropped, it's only going to confuse people who are out of the loop even more.

Sadly, there's no English equivalent for ojousama (as there is none for tsundere) and is a character-type that is unique to anime. There's almost an ojousama in every anime, and if not, there are lapses where non-ojousama characters do the signature laugh. And about confusing people...it's as easy as clicking the tag right? Seeing all the characters represented, any intelligent being can figure it out (hopefully). And those who are "out of the loop" probably don't even understand the more common traits-- scratch that, ojousama is terribly common. There are almost as many of that as there are tsundere characters, one could even argue.

'spoiled bitch'? XD

^_^

I was thinking the same thing, but when I went to do some research on ojou-types I noticed that other sites include definitions that extend beyond the proud snobby ones. Basically it's a rich upper class female character, a princess type or an adult queen type perhaps. Some of them are benevolent like Eri from School Rumble and others are straight up "hohohohohohohohoho" *with hand over mouth* pompous like the Purple Haired character from B gata H kei.

high and mighty. princess. social superior. spoiled. pampered. I'm not really sure. I do like spoiled bitch, but ... I think bitch implies that someone is mean, and I don't think all Ojousamas are mean or consciously look down on others.

Back