Character tag list - feedback requested

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We're going to launch a partial version of the character database in the immediate future (with a few parts - character search, the characters homepage, etc to come in 1-2 weeks), and thus I'm now going to open up the character tag list for discussion.

I'll put more details after ones that might need them - if you can think of other MAJOR tags that aren't super vague and people might care about, please feel free to post them here. If you want a niche tag added (like something like werewolf, etc) - you'll need to be able to list a minimum of 5 series or more that have chars with the tag, otherwise it may be too niche to tag.

Alien
Android
Angel
Animal
Artist
Assassin
Baby
Big Eater
Board Game Player
Bounty Hunter
Boxer
Butler
Catgirl
Child
Clumsy
Cook (includes things like bakers, etc)
Crybaby
Cyborg
Delinquent
Demon
Detective
Dinosaur
Doctor
Dragon
Elderly
Elementary School Student
Elf
Eyepatches
Fairy
Flirt
Frequently-naked
Ghost
Glasses (encompasses both chars who wear regular and/or sunglasses)
Hacker
Heavy Drinker
High School Student
Historical Figure
Hot-Headed
Idol
Inventor
Maid
Martial Artist
Mechanic
Mecha Pilot
Mercenary
Mermaid
Middle School Student
Military
Mischievous
Monster
Musician
Ninja
Nobility
Nurses
Orphan
Otaku
Person in a Strange World
Pervert
Pilot (for things like planes/helicopters, whereas mecha pilot is used for that specific case)
Pirate
Police
Politician
Priests
Robot
Royalty
Samurai
Scantily-clad
Scientist
Shinigami
Shy
Single Parent
Smoker
Space Pirate
Teacher
Thief
Tomboy
Treasure Hunter
Tsundere
Twin
Undead
Vampire
Warrior
Witch

Last edited:
Maybe a tag for traps?
-----------------
Driver would also be useful for anime shows about car racing. There aren't many in the DB, but definitely more than 5

Last edited:
how did i forget trap? that one has been planned for awhile haha

mm, the problem with yandere, doesnt it pretty much alwyas end up being a spoiler? we are currently not tagging chars with tags that could be spoilers

How about "magical" or "superpowered"? Also, "flamboyant". Single parent is on there, but how about a separate "parent" one?

mm, the problem with yandere, doesnt it pretty much alwyas end up being a spoiler? we are currently not tagging chars with tags that could be spoilers

In some cases, yes, its a spoiler. In many it is not. Many tags are spoilers in certain contexts.

I'd say that its a tag that- as long as we're careful with its use- would be utterly worth it.

I second the sportsman and superhuman tags. But I think that superhuman should only be used for those with exceptional powers that do not fall under another category - so for example you wouldn't mark up say, Yubaba from Spirited Away as superhuman because she would already have the witch tag. Likewise any character with the witch/wizard/ninja/shinigami type tags wouldn't get the superhuman tag since their existing ones are already indicative of their powers. A large chunk of the One Piece cast could easily use these tags, because although loads of them have Devil Fruit Powers, they aren't mages, ninjas or Death Gods, plus the likes of Orihime and Chad from Bleach would get this - not shinigami but they certainly have superhuman powers.

I like the idea of having a tag for parent as well as single parent, but only one should be used per character - marking up one as both is a bit ridiculous. I also like the idea of having a priest/monk tag, maybe religious figure or something so that it could incorporate priess, monks and nuns...

I don't honestly think we need a magic tag, since we have witch (and I agree that we should add wizard) and I think that's enough for the magic side of things.

What about a 'Lazy' tag? For those chars who seem to be always sleeping a lot or just laying around... reading Jump or whatnot.

Also a 'Priest' or some kind of 'Holy man' tag sounds good to me.

Frequently-naked
I lol'ed hard :laugh:
I agree, but, as well, isn't the tag trap a major spoiler for a character? I mean a trap is a trap because it is not clear at the beginning that it is, or am I wrong?
This is interesting. I'm sure it is a very popular term, but I'm asking myself how you will handle characters that are similar to catgirls but they aren't. I mean catgirl is a very specific term.
Example: (spoiler just for image)
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi_By_Amu-Chan_26.jpg
Perfect example of "catgirl" the only problem is that ... he is a boy XD
You can see how the catgirl tag starts to fail and we need another tag for boys or a more "generic" tag for all.
Another limitation of the tag "catgirls" is that like nekomimi they should represents only cat like character. Why is this a problem?
Example:
Horo from Spice and Wolf. It's pretty clear that she is a wolf, she even turns into one of them. Is she a "catgirl"?
Another example of problematic character is Inuyasha. Inu=dog. Is he a "dogboy"?
What about "bunny girls"?
Spoiler for image:
captura01gf3.jpg

So the question is: are these other characters getting the tag "catgirl", another tag or nothing at all?

Kemonomimi would be the term that could work for all, but it does 1/3 of the results of catgirl on google. I don't know, I leave the rest up to you, not that I care much about tags to be honest XD

Yandere, as well as Traps, are often (sometimes minor) spoilers yes, but not always.

For example, the yandere in Future Diary is openly psychotic almost from the get-go, and Hideyoshi from Baka to Test is definitely a trap, but it is known right from the start.

I'd say that the trap tag can be used more often than yandere though (partly because there simply aren't a whole lot of yandere out there).

Are we going to consider "Shrine Maiden" a subset of priest, or is it its own tag? Fetishists would argue that it deserves a tag.

Are we going to consider "Shrine Maiden" a subset of priest, or is it its own tag? Fetishists would argue that it deserves a tag.

I'd group it with priests/whatever-generic-religious-person-tag there is. Are there really that many shrine maidens?

Also!: Broaden the Catgirl tag.

Also Also!: God(dess(e(s)))

Well I'm assuming for guys who are "girl-crazy" the tag would probably be "pervert"...but what about that "girl-crazy" lesbian that always seems to show up?

Also, I thought about some shows, and "boy-crazy" would work. But would this tag also go on Tsunderes'? Because with them "boy-craziness" might already be implied...

Back