Chainsaw Man

Don't really understand the hate behind rotoscoping or the CG work, none of it even looks bad here
There's preferences, sure, but you shouldn't automatically be like "ewwww nooo" because a series features any of that
I mean, look at Kizumonogatari-- one of the most pristinely animated films in the entire anime industry, and guess what: it makes huge usage of both rotoscoping and CG animation (albeit not always for the best); regardless, it used so much CG that the 3rd film has a 2nd photography director from someone outside of studio SHAFT (the only work in their entire catalogue since 2003 to feature a photography director from outside of the studio), and that person was the president of Cyclone Graphics, the company responsible for the trilogy's CG.

Now, you might ask, why did I go so in-depth with that particular example? Well, you see, that's because Tatsuki Fujimoto is a big fan of Monogatari, and the action scenes and atmosphere of Chainsaw Man are, actually, heavily inspired by Tatsuya Oishi's work on the Kizumonogatari films. So... yeah.

Most of it looks good, but the flat composition and MAPPA's signature brown-ish feel is a bit off-putting. I'm also not a fan of the blur that's sometimes present (AoT had the same problem; horrible usage of some stupid blur effect).

Don't really understand the hate behind rotoscoping or the CG work, none of it even looks bad here
There's preferences, sure, but you shouldn't automatically be like "ewwww nooo" because a series features any of that
I mean, look at Kizumonogatari-- one of the most pristinely animated films in the entire anime industry, and guess what: it makes huge usage of both rotoscoping and CG animation (albeit not always for the best); regardless, it used so much CG that the 3rd film has a 2nd photography director from someone outside of studio SHAFT (the only work in their entire catalogue since 2003 to feature a photography director from outside of the studio), and that person was the president of Cyclone Graphics, the company responsible for the trilogy's CG.

Now, you might ask, why did I go so in-depth with that particular example? Well, you see, that's because Tatsuki Fujimoto is a big fan of Monogatari, and the action scenes and atmosphere of Chainsaw Man are, actually, heavily inspired by Tatsuya Oishi's work on the Kizumonogatari films. So... yeah.

Most of it looks good, but the flat composition and MAPPA's signature brown-ish feel is a bit off-putting. I'm also not a fan of the blur that's sometimes present (AoT had the same problem; horrible usage of some stupid blur effect).
Kizumonogatari had a brilliant color palette and great lighting.

Some people really seem to be mistaking my losing hype to a declaration that this will 100% indubitably be shit.

"but sometimes CG looks goooddddd" Yes I know. But it usually isn't. And hype and expectations are all about what one... expects. I will actually judge how the show looks when, you know, it's out.

It's really not that hard...

Some people really seem to be mistaking my losing hype to a declaration that this will 100% indubitably be shit.

"but sometimes CG looks goooddddd" Yes I know. But it usually isn't. And hype and expectations are all about what one... expects. I will actually judge how the show looks when, you know, it's out.

It's really not that hard...
But you literally said
And there goes 99% of my hype for this. Fuck.
So there's a 1% difference? That's not the phrasing of someone going "I'll judge it when I see it." I'm not really sure what sort of interpretation you were expecting people to have with that wording. People can't read your nonverbal cues through text.

So there's a 1% difference? That's not the phrasing of someone going "I'll judge it when I see it." I'm not really sure what sort of interpretation you were expecting people to have with that wording. People can't read your nonverbal cues through text.
I didn't expect people to need any interpretation. I meant what I literally said. My hype is gone. But I can still be disappointed OR pleasantly surprised when it airs. Just like literally any other show when it airs.

Sometimes a show has a director I like: more hype
Sometimes a show has a shitty studio behind it: less hype

I heard a lot of people praise the manga and everyone was excited for the anime. Trailer comes out and I saw it literally everywhere (freaking google sent me a notification about it with its "news that might interest you" ) And then I see CG character models and rotoscoping and I was disappointed. And that's all I wanted to share in the forum. I'll judge it fully when it comes out like I do with everything.

Do you want me to add: "DISCLAIMER: ANY AND ALL OPINIONS WILL CHANGE WHEN I ACTUALLY WATCH THE SHOW" to any post I make about upcoming stuff? So no one can get a wrong interpretation, you know.

I didn't expect people to need any interpretation. I meant what I literally said. My hype is gone. But I can still be disappointed OR pleasantly surprised when it airs. Just like literally any other show when it airs.

Sometimes a show has a director I like: more hype
Sometimes a show has a shitty studio behind it: less hype

I heard a lot of people praise the manga and everyone was excited for the anime. Trailer comes out and I saw it literally everywhere (freaking google sent me a notification about it with its "news that might interest you" ) And then I see CG character models and rotoscoping and I was disappointed. And that's all I wanted to share in the forum. I'll judge it fully when it comes out like I do with everything.

Do you want me to add: "DISCLAIMER: ANY AND ALL OPINIONS WILL CHANGE WHEN I ACTUALLY WATCH THE SHOW" to any post I make about upcoming stuff? So no one can get a wrong interpretation, you know.
I'll still need you to show your work and provide a detailed proof in your quarterly report of how exactly you came up with that 99% loss of hype, on my desk by yesterday.

I read almost half of the manga, and i feel the trailer did a pretty good job of translating the essence of chainsaw man. It's a weird ride, but one you enjoy. Dorohedoro was mostly cgi done by mappa, and it came out great and considering these two, have the same vibe, yknow, urban-ish dystopic magical mushrooms kind of feeling, I'm not worried by the slightest of how the cgi will come out. Dorohedoro had a lot of fights and violence but the cgi didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Other than that, i don't see a problem with rotoscoping. Sure, it clearly doesn't look the same as "normal" animation, but I personally think it looks amazing. And i wouldn't say it was done as a way to cut the amount of work since for doing it you need to: record the scene in real life and then animate the character on top of it. Unless there's a way of doing it with cgi instead of recording it but im not sure :P

I dont care if its cgi or roto something, its fucking amazing.

Dorohedoro was mostly cgi done by mappa, and it came out great and considering these two, have the same vibe, yknow, urban-ish dystopic magical mushrooms kind of feeling, I'm not worried by the slightest of how the cgi will come out. Dorohedoro had a lot of fights and violence but the cgi didn't stop me from enjoying it.
aoNwZmn_700b.jpg

It's a great time honestly for gritty dark anime adaptations these days being executed really well.

Tbh idek if this is an argument or people trying to analyze the potentiality of Makima's ass-shots being rotoscoped in CG anymore but I stopped caring so let's just wait until it's out and then either suck the series off dry or beat its face into the ground like we did with Promised Neverland 2.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the directing. It looks really nice based on the PV alone, which was boarded and directed by Ryuu Nakayama (a very talented animator), and he's done great work as an episode director, but he's never touched a series. Likewise, Masato Nakasono was the assistant director for one of the A3 seasons, but again has no prior series director credits. And both of these dudes are in charge of making this series look nice and spiffy. Now, director debuts can be very good, 86 for example, but that's a rare exception. Even Tatsuya Oishi, who I mentioned prior, was under the direct supervision of Shinbo throughout his entire tenure with Bake and Kizu.
I'm not really sure why they chose newbies to direct a high profile series like this, but we'll see how talented these two are when it's here.

Edit: Also, Black Clover director Tatsuya Yoshihara (himself a very talented animator who debuted with a high profile series) is the action director for the series, so I assume he's going to be giving pointers for Nakayama and Nakasono in some places.

I didn't expect people to need any interpretation.
Well that's literally how language works, and you used hyperbolic language that apparently people were supposed to interpret differently than what it seemed to say? I've sure not seen many people use the term "hype" in the way you do, and you then don't clarify your meaning when you then take on an overtly aggressive and catty tone when asked about it and then treat every point like a fight.
Yes, language is pretty much up to interpretation, like how when we say "CG models" you--
That's just absolute BS. A lot of anime do have CG for special effects yes, but having them for characters models is still a niche thing. I have watched the first episode of every single show that came out in 2020 and so far in 2021 and maybe 10% of them used them. If that.
interpreted that as to mean "CGI all the time like Dorohedoro" rather than "CGI models are a tool animators can and do often keep in their repertoire for certain types of scenes". Yes, shows do actually often make CG models for 2d shows, because it's just way easier in some types of scenes. So, sure, you won't see what you described outside of a handful of niches in the first episodes of a show.
Language is important. I'm sorry for making it sound like I was talking about CG being a constant, but not even this trailer gave indication of that being the case for CSM, which then makes it seem weird to people when "all hype dies" from noticing a tool in an animator's arsenal. Nothing about it indicated that this will be anything like "Dorohedoro but also rotoscoped."

And it's also entirely possible the trailer itself will be bunk. Mappa's done misleading teasers before, so these could be pre-animated shots made specifically for the trailer but not the show, and at least one of the cuts seems like it wouldn't be done that way in-show. But even if it was, we wouldn't know if that means the show leans even more heavily on rotoscoping and CG, or if it might even mean that there was only noticeable presence of those things because it was pre-animated and the actual show might not even use it much at all. It becomes such a mental twister it's pointless to even speculate about it since either they are honest or they aren't, and we can't even know what they'd be dishonest about until we see it.

Tbh idek if this is an argument or people trying to analyze the potentiality of Makima's ass-shots being rotoscoped in CG anymore
Makima ass-shots not being genuine would be a 0/5 for me. Not just a drop, but a suplex.

Oh my gods, that even matches a good portion of the series' own tone!
I really do hope the show goes for a crass tone at the start of the series. It's a big part of the appeal.

Last edited:
Oh my gods, that even matches a good portion of the series' own tone!
I really do hope the show goes for a crass tone at the start of the series. It's a big part of the appeal.
I mean, the music guy is Kensuke Ushio, the same dude that did the music for devilman crybaby. Soooooo..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: just one more, I swear it's the last one +-+

Last edited:
I was trying not to high expectations in case that I would be let down, but man, I'm excited for CSM. Dark Fantasy for the win!

Really looking forward to Fujimoto's assistant Yuuji Kaku getting their day in the lime light with their own dark fantasy anime adaptation coming up as well in the pipeline. Fujimoto has really had some amazing talent under him, including the Spy x Family author, Tatsuya Endo.

Really looking forward to Fujimoto's assistant Yuuji Kaku getting their day in the lime light with their own dark fantasy anime adaptation coming up as well in the pipeline. Fujimoto has really had some amazing talent under him, including the Spy x Family author, Tatsuya Endo.
There's also Yukinobu Tatsu, another former assistant that's currently getting their dick wet with Dandadan, which feels like an apprentice manga to Fujimoto.
dcogr6m.jpg

Back