Casshern Sins

I've caught up on the episodes (10)...What's to say? I'm in love with this show! From now on I'm gonna wait until all remaining episodes are out and watch it all at once. It's just too hard to quit right in the middle of the story...

i find it quite easy as it's pretty episodic imo with him just wandering around every ep

Episode 17 was beautiful! I loved it!
Leda finally gets her development.
While watching, I was thinking they were going to show that Ringo was the child of Leda, but yeh, that wasn't the case.
Sad to see Oji leave Ringo like that. ;-; What's going to happen to her? Didn't her legs stop working in this ep? I really hope he knows what he's doing!

Did anyone else dislike episode 18? It was...just bleh!
I didn't like it at all...I mean, I'm all for learning about Lyuze, but that was definitely not the way to do it, especially with the black and white "reality" clips. Idk if there was a deeper meaning in that. If there was, it flew right past me. I also absolutely hated how they re-used the exact same fight scene from the beginning in the end. And Lyuze falling in love with Casshern? I was kind of hoping there wouldn't be any romance in this anime...and if any, it would be Luna + Casshern.

Hope the next episode will be back on track.

Aha sorry, I thought episode 18 was beautiful and done brilliantly. :sweat:
Finally! The development I've been waiting for!
I have to say, spending the whole entire episode inside what seems to be Lyuze's mind, that was GREAT. I loved it. The way this episode gave us a nice viewpoint as to what she was feeling through a very surreal setting, that was done quite amazing in my opinion. I really have no other words only that it was so touching and I am excited for 19. Hoping for a confession from Lyuze! :love:

Watched over 14 episodes now, Good so far, also people saying that the OP is weird? I think it's fine and i even liked the song.. and Cassherns hair is awesome.

I watched the first 5 episodes today and the only thing I really dislike is the opening song. It just doesn't seem to fit in with the overall feel of the series so far.

Actually, I lied. I also don't like that it's somewhat episodic, but that really isn't stopping me from enjoying it.

So this animation style is 70's-ish? I'm asking because my anime viewing consists of more modern shows, and I haven't seen much of anything older except for Akira I guess. I am just really enjoying the overall style and character designs.

I'm on episode 10 now and still enjoying it. Not too much progress in the storyline yet but I'm hoping that more is coming soon. I'll keep watching it anyways cause I think Casshern is dead sexy. It would be nice to see some other characters get some more development though.

Apparently the series will stop at episode 24... :crying:

At least we'll get to see the ending earlier than we thought.

Starting the Find Your Anime Buddy! discussion here, but anybody is welcome to join in since it's a public forum. :)

Episode 1-2:

I wasn't sure if I'd get to watch it tomorrow, so I cheated and watched the first two tonight. Upon first impression (with the very first fight) my precise thoughts were 'hmph, any show that starts this ostentatiously has nowhere else to go but down - looks like tripe, a 5/10'. I partly put this knee-jerk reaction down to being embittered by my recent tragic experience with RideBack (another Madhouse no-hoper that nosedives precisely after the first 'OMFG' episode).

However, by the time Ringo showed up, the animation had grown on me (it was very good on first impression, but I was starting to notice its subtleties a bit more), and I really liked the atmosphere, and the Casshern+Ringo interaction had a decent humanising effect. Then
the fight where he saves Ringo but inadvertently freaks her out
pretty much decided it for me. The show leap to a 'good' 6.5.

Having finished episode two, which was surprisingly touching and well developed, and had consistently engaging action scenes, I've decided it is now on a 7/10. I have a feeling I'm going to like this one. There's still plenty of room for shitty plotting to take effect, but somehow Casshern Sins feels denser than that, like it's made of more intelligent, substantial stuff. I'd describe it as a cross between Tengen Toppa, Toward the Terra TV, Kaiba, and... Scrapped Princess (lol). One thing is for sure the stylised art and dark tones are visually delicious. I literally keep licking my lips.

Knowing my luck, though, vivafruit will think it's crass, lacking in subtlety, and comprised of run-of-the-mill animation. :P

Episodes 1-2

I partly put this knee-jerk reaction down to being embittered by my recent tragic experience with RideBack (another Madhouse no-hoper that nosedives precisely after the first 'OMFG' episode).

Any series with ballet and mecha deserves to be far more awesome than Ride Back is.

And true, Madhouse have churned out some crap lately - aside from that there's Kurozuka and One Outs. Heck episode nine of Kurozuka may be one of the single worst anime episodes I've seen (or best in a so-bad-it-is-positively-awful sort of way). I was hoping Casshern Sins would be the silver lining that reminded me why I love Madhouse so... and so far?

Yes.

Just two episodes in and I'd say this is miles above the live-action movie Casshern and the OVA Casshan: Robot Hunter... though admittedly neither of them are any good to begin with. The first episode was definitely more enjoyable a second time round; sure it's predominantly action but the action's rather fun and I did like how Casshern's relationship developed with Ringo.

Though personally her reaction to Casshern's destruction of the robot carried less impact to me. What really got me is how the robots he befriended in the next episode violently turned on him. What a wonderfully bleak and depressing world they have here - though I find it interesting they like contrasting the 'human' robots as sympathetic victims and the nonhuman robots as villains. The reaction of the human robots at the end in their own pathetic desperation subverted that a little but I'd like to see that done a little more in the other direction too - even dim-witted behemoths have feelings!

One criticism I'd have is so far there's little direction. Robots try to eat Casshern and he kills them first; also he saves human robots. That's it. In episode two he visists some human robots, leaves, then shows up again when they're threatened... um did I miss where he came from?

Well, no matter. We've got the premise out of the way, now this series just needs a plot to kick in to drag me along. I'm guessing it will have something to do with parts of Casshern's memory resurfacing and then him following the bread crumb trail in an effort to find out who he is and how he became the ruination of the world.

I'd describe it as a cross between Tengen Toppa, Toward the Terra TV, Kaiba, and... Scrapped Princess (lol). One thing is for sure the stylised art and dark tones are visually delicious. I literally keep licking my lips.
I'd agree with the ones I've actually seen there (i.e. not Toward the Terra TV and Scrapped Princess), and raise you Ergo Proxy; some aspects of Casshern's character arc and Vincent's are fairly similar - and, also, Ringo follows on in the tradition of cute robot girls in apocalyptic wastelands of which Pino was a member.

Knowing my luck, though, vivafruit will think it's crass, lacking in subtlety, and comprised of run-of-the-mill animation. :P

Probably.

Personally, I find the backgrounds absolutely wonderful and I really dig the character design and animation - the designs in particular.

While Robot Hunter was another effort to darken and angst up the scenario in a grim environment the preposterous attires of the characters worked against them. Here the silliness is so highly stylised that it seems actually kind of cool - even that goddamn dog is neat looking in a menacing sort of way.

However I hate the opening. Not the actual song, which is fine - just the near complete lack of animation. It just looks like someone storyboarded a really cool opening, but then decided just to colour in the storyboards, throw in some token animation, and call it a day. This is easily one of the laziest ops I've ever seen from Madhouse and they usually impress me (now Kurozuka what a great op).

All told and simply put; if Casshern Sins plays its cards right I will love it dearly. It appeals to what I like best and right now it's definitely got my attention.

Last edited:
Ep 1+2:

Sorry to disappoint both of you, but I'm enjoying myself so far :P. I'll agree that there are trace resemblances to Ergo Proxy, but keep in mind that it took Ergo Proxy something like 7 fucking episodes to get to the point that Casshern Sins is at now. Even Sins' relatively moderate pacing is lightning compared to the pretentious-dialogue-driven-disaster that Ergo Proxy was.

The animation is AMAZING. In my opinion, the complete package is more visually impressive than Bounen no Xamdou (which could easily have twice the budget). One thing that impresses me in particular is the dramatic use of light in just about every scene. It's not Makoto Shinkai obsessive, but the shadows drawn across the hero's face do a lot to darken the mood, especially coupled with the minimalistic, eerie soundtrack. I also LOVE how everything is falling apart constantly. It's one thing to say the world is shit; it's another thing entirely to see it disintegrating before your eyes.

Plotwise I'm impressed so far, but there are a few hiccups. For instance, robot love is not only a hackneyed theme; it's a painfully inane one if you stop to think about it for more than 30 seconds. I also haven't been too impressed by the lengthy action scenes, which seem like pretty routine RAWR MECHA fare despite the stylistic touches. Lastly, I'm unsure if the deliberate pace is going to wear on me after a while. It's fresh for now, but Ghost Hound had a similarly strong start that then fizzled away after a few episodes.

Still, the good definitely outweighs the bad, particularly the superb ending to episode two. I'm always a sucker for anime that try to show the baseness of human nature, and Casshern Sins is doing that swimmingly thus far.

Also: yes. The OP blows. I don't think I'll be watching it again.

Last edited:
I don't mind the OP song, but I definitely agree that it's the poorers OP animation I've ever seen. *tries tot hink of others* Yes, definitely. There were times hwen i was actually thinking 'is that a stillshot of a white blob or part of Casshern's face or what?' Ah well, you win some you lose some.

The ending theme does make up for that, though - both in music and animation.

By the way, i take this we're all skipping tonight's? Or what?

I had just been planning to post at midnight every day. That way, if I hit a busy patch I won't technically be falling behind :P.

I don't mind the OP song, but I definitely agree that it's the poorers OP animation I've ever seen. *tries tot hink of others* Yes, definitely.

I think Elfen Lied's op has the same amount of animation - but frankly that one handles minimal movement a lot better.

Anyway:

Episodes 3-4

Colour me seriously impressed.

True, no plot has kicked in and these episodes followed a pretty simple formula: Casshern meets people he can talk to about things that are relevant to him, like running away or fighting. But I loved it.

I think him deciding business with a dog might come off as a little silly but in other versions Friender is Casshern's pet dog. It's a bit like Batman piecing together his suit in Batman Begins; it's all about the anticipation of the inevitable. So Casshern's relationship to the dog is clearly a Big Deal To Be Taken Seriously. Considering how ridiculously corny I've seen Friender as elsewhere I rather like the rather bitter yet respectful relationship that is budding here.

What I also liked: The old warrior robot who the fighting girl quasi-befriends. That's finally adding a bit of character to what had previously been random mooks. Additionally the way Casshern's attack on Luna is being pieced together just before the opening is a nice touch.

Oh, and while we're getting no plot yet, the series is clearly establishing characters to be used in subsequent payoffs, so narratively these episodes aren't a complete waste. Well, okay, the human guy was just a plot device to make Casshern confront the dog in the grander scheme of things but I really liked him and his dialogue so what the hell.

As for the pacing while I felt while it wasn't great in the first two episodes I'd say these are deliberate but compelling; I wasn't bored in the least. Looking forward to the next two.

Last edited:
Our protagonist is currently (and will probably continue to be) an absolute bore. His sole redeeming factor is we're still not sure how he ruined the world; otherwise, he does pretty much nothing for the narrative. There doesn't seem to be much promise of interesting development later on; most likely, he'll learn about his past and continue to be the same stoic and emotionless dullard. The deliberately wooden voice acting doesn't help either. Even compared to the similar dude from Kaiba, Casshern is pretty lame.

Fortunately this series continues to be enjoyable in spite of him. This is largely due to the supporting (non-retard-big-guy) characters, which for the most part are interesting enough to make up for the dull protagonist.

I can only hope that will continue to be the case, since at this point it looks like the series is going to be primarily episodic (that's what I'm betting on, anyway).

Episode 3:

This is probably the best example of a great supporting character carrying the show. Fun fact: Akoes (from ep 3) is voiced by Nakano Yuto, who did Ginko from Mushishi. I knew I recognized him from somewhere. His performance is a key element to why the character (and hence, the episode) works. A more mediocre performance would make the dialogue sound pompous and reminiscent of Ergo Proxy (gasp! THE HORROR), but Yuto adds enough of a down-to-earth, world-weary feel to make the lines work. I was genuinely sad when they killed him off, but whatever. The episode worked, in spite of the cheesy man's-best-Friender scenes.

Episode 4:

An interesting take on the traditional Gunslinger Girl/Noir schtick. No doubt we'll see the girl again, but how? An actual love interest sounds pretty implausible at this stage (that slot is reserved for Luna, of course. People always kill the ones they love!).

My guess is that Sophita will be used as either
A. A tragic death for some good old-fashioned tear jerking, or
B. Part of a cadre of supporting characters that appears near the end to help the hero beat whoever the main villain is with the power of FRIENDSHIP.

Hopefully I'm wrong because I cringed a little just typing that.

The worst thing in the story was that casshern always doubted his existence till the end and after killing so many robots and fighting his friends, finally he understands his own value and come into a better understanding about life and death. also about the OP and Ed, i too agree that OP was poorly made, and ED was better that OP at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back