Carol & Tuesday

I'm out. This exercise in how not to tell a story is clearly not meant for me. So...I'm out.

You kids have fun. Let me know when the "Angela's scenes" supercut is on YouTube.

- "Wikipedia says you were a Motorhead ripoff!" Ugh. F*** off, show.

- ...space yoga? Literally "space yoga." Oh, F*** OFF SHOW.

- Oh, look! A Banksy reference! F*** OFF, SHOW.

- Oh, and they're running again! It's--do you get it?--it's a running gag! HahahahaF***...OFF...SHOW.

I'm out. This exercise in how not to tell a story is clearly not meant for me. So...I'm out.

You kids have fun. Let me know when the "Angela's scenes" supercut is on YouTube.

- Oh, and they're running again! It's--do you get it?--it's a running gag! HahahahaF***...OFF...SHOW.
Hey, maybe you should try, uh, calming down?

there's no reason to freak out over @interregnum not liking it
Aww, shucks, you didn't have to do that, my friend!

No, seriously--I have a gif for that:

3377964E7CE30673D871AB1A30B46A4EE6784EDB

Ahahaaaaa! Too fucking cute
That laundry song was fire I don't care what anyone says. I nearly burst with joy watching them come up with the beat. Holy fuck it was awesome.

So we finally meet our gus for real. And him saying they need voice training cracked me up, mostly because of something someone said about the trailer for this. They really are going all in on those musical references too yeah? I like gus. He's the kind of colorful character to hilariously balance out the other two with his outdated ways and yet savvy aura. He was just down and out so I'm guessing he'll have a backstory of sorts. Funny interactions and all.

And what's this, the DJ was a real douche? I hope that event will lead the two back to him at some point, but I legit have no idea where they're going with him, which excites me.

Tuesday's move in there was pretty ladyballsy. Charming seeing them laugh it off too.

Tuesday's family though, they were rough to see. A bit too real almost and a real clear view of why she left them. Not to mention the show is starting to have more flairs of the Martian. Lighters in the middle of a table operating automatically, weird ass chandelures, more high tech producer guy lab, this world is just really well put together and there's weird little contrast stuff everywhere.
Cannot... STOP... SMILING!!!!

Episode 3:

This opening though <3

Lazy Sandwich is a fantastic band name XD

I love that these girls know who Cindy Lauper is but have never heard of Bruno Mars. Also Way to drop some names C&T.

Reluctant high five XD

Omg they're doing that question interview thing that they do for celebrities n shit. This is weird. I like it. This anime is like a weird mix of some future stuff but with relatable current things happening in it. Yeah it's still on mars and you can order food through the display in your table and all the music is made by AI but also they still do that questions video interview and people know of names like Cindy Lauper, Bruno Mars, and The beatles. Wikipedia is still a thing as well as instagram.

I'm really not sure how to feel about this Angela girl. She's kind of a dick but she's still just trying to make her dream come true but in the most opposite way possible to our main duo. Waiting for them to come to a head or something.

The dancing laundry song is cute and I really like it. Thus far the music in this anime ticks all my boxes for enjoyable music. I'm fairly picky too so there's that. I loved this whole scene where they are making the beat and that random dude in the middle join in with them lol Best laundry day ever.

I thought Eretgun was a total dick waffle, and he is, but his "Well I guess I won't be needing a shower" comment made me like him just a LITTLE bit more lol Maybe he's not totally a lost cause.

I'm so excited for the rest of this. I can't wait to hear all their songs and see what happens to them. Also interested to see how many current technologies they're going to mix in with the future stuff. I know a lot of ya'll have said stuff like "Why even have it be on mars, it's not that important of a plot point" To which I disagree. I LOVE that,so far, this anime is based on MARS and it's not a huge deal. They don't shove it down your throat like "WOOOO LOOOK IT'S MARS IN THE FUTURE, LOOK MARS, WE'RE ON MARS, DID I MENTION THIS ANIME TAKES PLACE ON MARS?! MARS!" I love that this whole thing takes place on Mars and it's not a huge deal and instagram still exists, people are still aware of old earth musicians, and laundry mats are aparently fairly commonplace. It's a setting just like the one we're currently in but it's just different enough to be interesting. It's a bit like the whole planet is a mixture of old and new technology and I dig it.

Last edited:
@TurkeyGami I'm planning to watch Nana soon (probably closer to midseason) if you're down for a buddy group. Despite your immediate refusal, I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

I WANT TO JOIN YOU GUYS! @SMores @TurkeyGami Buddy groups are my jam and I've been wanting to be in one since the last one I was in ended. Plus I've really been wanting to watch NANA.

Kinda feel like giving this a 1/10 SOLELY for the way Turkey has been acting lately. I'm not gonna do it, because I'm not an ass, but the thought did occur to me.

Ep. 3:
So, is the intro going to be in every episode? We already know it was a miracle and that they are perfect and flawless, and no one has ever played a song like them in the history of the universe ever.
Who are The Beatles? Never heard of them. They weren't like these two young ladies who singlehandedly changed the face of music.
So, J.J. quit ice skating and became a DJ? The first time I read it as "DJ erection".

No, but seriously now, I think my biggest issue with this show is that I don't care about the characters. At all. And that's a pretty big problem for a Watanabe anime, because it's all about the characters. The plots are usually whatever, like in Cowboy Bebop or Space Dandy, just throw them in some random wacky situation and watch them. Even in more plot-consistent shows, like in Kids on the Slope that I liked very much, it's very character-driven. But here I don't feel any connection to the characters. I don't care what happens to them.

Like I said before, it's not a bad show ... it's just ... meh. The songs are nice, and so is the animation, but overall I don't see anything worth remembering about it. I'm still waiting for it to grow on me, because as it is I'm going to forget all about it once it's finished. If I don't drop it first. So far it's around 6/10 for me. I'm sorry most of you don't want to hear this, because you like the show and only want to hear about how amazing it is, but I'm not the sort of person to pretend to like something just because other people do. I'm glad people here like it, and I really don't think I have a "better taste" than any of you, because I don't love it.

Episode 3:

This show reminds me of Purple Rain.

See, Prince, by virtue of being Prince, decided to make an entire movie titled Purple Rain to accompany the release of his album, also named Purple Rain. They're both classics, and Carole and Tuesday isn't, but the point is, they're shows that were made to fit a certain soundtrack. This means that specific events play out according to the song of the week, and if they happen to make some sense chronologically, then you can count yourself halfway lucky. With movies or shows, you'd expect the story to come first before the soundtrack, but with these two things, the order's been reversed.

Which is why having characters and style is important.

The difference between Purple Rain and this is that Prince had loads of charisma, while Carole and Tuesday are complete duds. They're like most Marvel movies: can't stand alone without the other one to back them up, and I think that's very problematic. They're not terrible people, but they're bland and boring when they're on their own. Together, they're alright. You know that joke about two people sharing a single brain cell? That's our two girls, only they're two people sharing a single personality.

Like that thing where they just break out into song at the laundromat with Childish Gambino in the middle. Why did they do that? Is that a thing that happens in NYC? Is it an artist's personality quirk? I get that we're supposed to see them as precocious, charming kids, but it's shit like this and their little stunt at the theater last week that makes them look obnoxious instead.

So the point is, the trick to watching this show is to manage your expectations. Don't be like me and get wowed by the fact that the Bebop creators are in on this. Because of that, I went and started expecting this to be something more than the generic feel-good stuff it is.

However.

The music is good and the animation complements it well. It's also wholesome in its own way, even if things either happen for no good reason or for all the forced reasons.

That's about all Carole and Tuesday has going for it so far, but if I can learn to zero-in on those aspects and let sleeping plot farts lie, then I hope I'll do fine.

Another thing I'm having trouble with here is the ham-fisted, none-too-subtle knocks against the mainstream. If everyone in the mainstream uses machines and AIs to make music, then what's the use in pitting that against the more personal indie music if we already know who's gonna win? So yeah, I get it, the show focuses on the pair's journey to fame instead. But even that one's tough to accept, no thanks to Manager Gus' never-ending fawning of two people who still have to prove themselves to the audience.

I'm sticking around. But I'm only going to do so for the soundtrack.

Or, I don't know. Maybe I'll rewatch Purple Rain instead.

I take back what ever defense I came up for this show's futuristic setting. If they're just going to reference modern pop culture like this, then I'm not sure why it had to be set in Mars in the first place.

The woolongs bit was a nice shout-out, though.

I know I said I was out--and I am--but...
Episode 3
This whole thing was great, and I wanted to expressly say just that. Both highly critical and thoughtfully analyzed for what it offers, with the Purple Rain comparison being completely dead-on.

Nicely done.

Like that thing where they just break out into song at the laundromat with Childish Gambino in the middle.
Oh, you're right: it's wildly contrived.

If they were alone, then I think getting a beat and melody going isn't wholly out of the ordinary, for two music-minded people. (Ever hung around any theater kids? Or choir kids? All they f***ing do is sing.) But the scene plays out like they're in a musical, rather than just two music-minded people. Which becomes problematic when, well, they're not in a musical. (Incidentally: everything we've seen from them makes more sense if this is a musical. They should have made this a musical.)

What else stood out about that moment, to me, was the reaction from the people around them: it was like they'd never heard people sing or make music before. Like it was an entirely alien concept to them. Which is...both really interesting and really bizarre. And invites questions that, again, should already be answered but aren't.

The woolongs bit was a nice shout-out, though.
From week one:
Then again, maybe it's a prequel to Cowboy Bebop, and one of them is Spike's mom.
I mean, it's probably just a shout-out, but...maaaaybe.

And, actually, to that point.
If they're just going to reference modern pop culture
Since Justin Bieber (?!?!?!) gets a mention...and since Gus is supposed to have somehow worked with him...and since Gus mentions it's been 50 years since Mars was colonized...there is a good chance that this actually is in the same continuity as Cowboy Bebop.

From the Bebop wiki:
In the year 2021, an Astral Gate exploded above Earth in an event known as the Astral Gate accident.

After the accident, most of Earth's population migrated to other worlds or moved underground.

The people of Earth communicated with other planets via a network of satellites, and a new Astral Gate was built by 2071.

That would probably answer some questions, no? (Though, if this really is the case, it's still bull****: you shouldn't have to do outside homework to make this make sense.)

I know I said I was out--and I am--but...

This whole thing was great, and I wanted to expressly say just that. Both highly critical and thoughtfully analyzed for what it offers, with the Purple Rain comparison being completely dead-on.

Nicely done.

Shit, you flatter me, boss, thanks.

Oh, you're right: it's wildly contrived.

If they were alone, then I think getting a beat and melody going isn't wholly out of the ordinary, for two music-minded people. (Ever hung around any theater kids? Or choir kids? All they f***ing do is sing.) But the scene plays out like they're in a musical, rather than just two music-minded people. Which becomes problematic when, well, they're not in a musical. (Incidentally: everything we've seen from them makes more sense if this is a musical. They should have made this a musical.)

What else stood out about that moment, to me, was the reaction from the people around them: it was like they'd never heard people sing or make music before. Like it was an entirely alien concept to them. Which is...both really interesting and really bizarre. And invites questions that, again, should already be answered but aren't.

Yeah, exactly, it's a musical thing. I think the reactions of the people outside was supposed to be a joke, but it didn't land well. Maybe it's commentary on how music's manufactured in their universe, so it's weird when someone actually sings?

From week one:

I mean, it's probably just a shout-out, but...maaaaybe.

And, actually, to that point.

Since Justin Bieber (?!?!?!) gets a mention...and since Gus is supposed to have somehow worked with him...and since Gus mentions it's been 50 years since Mars was colonized...there is a good chance that this actually is in the same continuity as Cowboy Bebop.

From the Bebop wiki:
In the year 2021, an Astral Gate exploded above Earth in an event known as the Astral Gate accident.

After the accident, most of Earth's population migrated to other worlds or moved underground.

The people of Earth communicated with other planets via a network of satellites, and a new Astral Gate was built by 2071.

That would probably answer some questions, no? (Though, if this really is the case, it's still bull****: you shouldn't have to do outside homework to make this make sense.)

Oh, so it's a forced in-between story then. I guess it's nice trivia for Watanabe faithfuls, but having all these modern pop culture references still doesn't make sense in Carole & Tuesday's context.

having all these modern pop culture references still doesn't make sense
Oh, I totally agree: it's entirely unhelpful, in a storytelling context.

Yes, it locks us into the possibility that this is the very-near future (which would make more sense of the now-infamous Timberland boots thing), but the show has not given any reason to believe that, because 50 years from exactly right now--which is where the pop culture references are coming from--there will not be a future-city on Mars. So we'd have to be looking at an alternate history where we had well-developed interplanetary travel safely prior to the early 21st Century...but Justin Bieber and smartphones and Instagram developed exactly as they have in our history.

Again: inviting questions.

Maybe it's commentary on how music's manufactured in their universe, so it's weird when someone actually sings?
I would think that's the case, but...again, neither Tuesday nor Carole says anything about it being almost unheard of for real singers to exist. I mean, there's a concert piano on that stage they rush, so real live music must still be a thing. And Angela wants to move into a music career, so it must not be completely out of the ordinary.

Questions questions questions...

Back