Bungou Stray Dogs

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by chii, Mar 31, 2016.

1. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Mar 31, 2016
  2. CaptainPancakes

CaptainPancakes Well-Known Member

This is what I'm looking forward to most this season. I'm a fan of the manga and the art is beautiful, and at the very least it'll be fun.

3. casandra29

casandra29 Member

I'm excited for this one as well. I have not tried the manga but it looks interesting. Maybe I should go give the manga a try while I'm waiting.

4. CaptainPancakes

Episode 1

That was preeetty damn good.

I'm a biased fan of the manga so all I can say is they adapted this perfectly! Dazai was great as per usual, I liked Atsushi here more than the manga (I do think they hammered in the "orphange" point too hard), the soundtrack is really nice and the animation was so slick and smooth. So I think I covered all of the bases.

There was a lot more visual comedy from the manga but I think it fits the tone well -- plus the reaction faces are gold anyways.

With this being split-cour I feel like they can adapt this pretty nicely :D

But ED is super fujo-baity my goodness

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Posted by g3data on Apr 6, 2016
    1:

Well, it's essentially The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but all fujo'd up, or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure but with literary references instead music references. It was...... OK I guess? I'm up to date on the manga and it's kind of hard to get excited for this knowing it won't end up being anything special, but it's a safe bet at least. The anime-reaction based humor isn't particularly funny and it's kind of tactless to make a running-gag out of something like suicide.

On another note, the OP was pretty good. I've dug GRANRODEO's sound since watching Needless.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  6. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Apr 6, 2016
    Episode 1

Yeah, that was all right. It reminds me of Kekkai Sensen somehow with it's quite peculiar characters and humour but it's less artsy, less insane and more straightforward. I like it.

7. tootalls

tootalls Well-Known Member

ep 1

not sure about this........it doesn't look like it will be anything special, I already hate the main character.

So irrational, you think a tiger is chasing specifically you, and you deny help to catch it? there is that, it looks like the show will try to find humor in is cowardice and lack of understanding, but I found nothing about the episode funny, I just could tell that it was trying to be funny.

And the set up just adds one guy to an organization that does stuff............So we have a lack of a main objective, so an episodic kid of thing might happen, which would have been fine ad I found ep 1 entertaining.......

8. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

Sounds like this could be good, huh. I'll keep an eye on it.

9. casandra29

casandra29 Member

Episode 1:

Well, I didn't dislike it, but I have mixed feelings about it so far.
    The ending song at the very beginning the animation was a straight copy of Zankyou No terror fall off the building on your back thing. I think Death note also does a similar thing. Well whatever,

The boy who was the tiger looks like a older version of the boy in Karneval. I think I'd make a rec between the 2 if it stays on this course.

Overall, this episode was okay. I was too hyped about it and it didn't come off quite as good as I had hoped. The animation was good. I did like the fight scene with the exception of the super showy nullification sequence which seemed like a rip off of one of those shows that my son was watching... was it a certain magical index? I don't remember... anyway... so far the show is generic but still decent.

10. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Eh, it was okay. I'll watch.

11. CaptainPancakes

Episode 2

I don't know how I feel about the director's apparent butt fetish but whatever. Dazai is boss - I didn't really like this chapter in the manga though. The comedy is a lot more pronounced as well which is a good or bad thing depending on what your expectations were. Though I dislike the running gag of Dazai trolling Kunikida. I don't think it's that funny.

12. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

2:

Still unfunny, pretty much ended where the 1st episode did whilst not really offering much new asides from the fact that Atsushi isn't smart enough to try throwing a bomb out the window or simply just evacuating with everyone before resorting to shield the blast with his body.

Meh. Looks like the edgelord will step up next week.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  13. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Apr 13, 2016
    Episode 2

And that happened. Well whatever that wasn't particular bad just very unimpressive both in terms of writing and concept.

Not a major hit to this anime's like-ability as the atmosphere is still there and you can feel it is somewhat a set up episode but it's not a particularly worthwhile episode even in concept.

14. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Episodes 1 and 2:

I find the art direction for this one pretty appealing, but other than that I found both episodes to pretty pedestrian in all other areas.

The characters are standard shounen fair so far and I'm hoping their literary/historical personas will be put to better use in the future. Why even make these connections if they're just going to end up being standard shounen archetypes. Then again, Gedata already warned me about that, so I kind of expected that going in.

The comedy is generic and I'm already sick of the suicide joke and Danzai trolling the other guy. I can already see both of these are going to be driven into the ground.

The plots for both episodes were predictable to the extreme and I knew the twist in each long before either episode got to the point.

Reading all that back I sound pretty negative, but I found both episodes to be okay and a predictable setup is fine, if it can delivery something interesting further down the road. However, it is a bit worrying that the second episode could have easily been the first episode, because they both covered the same type of introductory route. Hopefully, we're not in for a bunch of boring episodic episodes before this thing decides to pull a plot out of its ass.I already played that game with Blood Blockade Battlefront and was ultimately let down by that one. Straydogs doesn't even have the same initial benefit of being as energetic as Blood Blockade.

All in all this is watchable, but not much more.

15. randomredneck

Episode 2.
    I thought it was pretty frigging funny.
    Especially Atsushi's bit as the hostage negotiator. I like the little masochist sister too.

16. hamletsmage

hamletsmage Well-Known Member

Episode 2
    Sell the kid to the circus. Or hell, give him his own show in Vegas. Who needs guys with white tigers when you can have guy who is a white tiger?
    They ripped off Captain America. Like straight up, the scrawny kid throws himself over a bomb to save people. Good job, Bones.

I currently like the animation style. But that might be because it is reminiscent of other Bones works, like Soul Eater.

Other than that, we got to see another ability, which honestly felt like a nod to Read or Die. Maybe once the exposition episodes are out of the way, we can get some kick butt action?

17. randomredneck

Believe it or not, that sort of thing happened in fiction before the first Captain America movie...

18. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Captain America didn't invent that trope. Still, it was kind of absurd that he wouldn't consider just leaving with everyone instead of blasting himself to pieces.

19. casandra29

casandra29 Member

Episode 2:

Better than episode 1 in some ways, but I'm still not really feeling it.

The part about the suicides is not really all that funny and kinda stale. The tiger boy is annoying. It's irritating to me hearing him basically whining throughout the whole 2nd episode... though he did similar stuff in the first. He continually was talking about how he wouldn't work for them because he couldn't do anything and wasn't worth anything and couldn't control anything (poor me... give me attention, give me a compliment) and it was irritating. Also this episode... I don't know why exactly but it had a real Bleach-y feel to it. (that's not a good thing in my eyes by the way). I can't put my finger on why... but maybe someone else felt the same way?

Anyways, the boy is stupid... he didn't throw away the bomb and that wouldn't have saved anything... the guy told him earlier the whole office would be screwed.... if it really was an issue and real then what would pushing the girl a few feet away do? Let her corpse be charred a bit less and not be in as many pieces?

Well all that stuff aside... I still feel I need to give it a episode or 2 more because we have not been introduced to the bad guys completely. So... maybe they will turn this show around. Guess we'll see.

20. hamletsmage

hamletsmage Well-Known Member

So, it would seem

But I was more going for
    The grenade/bomb is a dud, which is known by the higher ups, but the new kid has no idea and throws himself on the grenade, only to be confused by lack of explosion. And the grenade/bomb is a test to see if he's worthy of joining the team

That doesn't seem to be part of the running trope, except for some real life situations during Vietnam/Korean wars.