Brand New Animal

Finale

It wasn't that bad. For 12 episodes you have a lot of fun. If they planned to make this a one-shot show then they hit the mark. Yeah, the ending had some crazy plot twists but unless they were going for a second season then you shouldn't expect much for a Netflix show. Lots of Kill la Kill flashbacks watching this.

I honestly think it would have been better as a 2 cour.

The President being a beastman didn't seem like too much of a plot twist. I did like how the show started off giving this vibe like you can't trust anyone till the very end. The only thing that didn't feel right was the creepy snake dude. They kinda threw his transformation in like "Oh crap, what about him?".

They definitely could make a second season the way they ended it. There is enough material to keep it going. Other companies/countries jump into the mix. Other ancient beastmen decide to overthrow Japan and an all-out battle between humans and beats commences uniting parties that were once at odds. One could only dream

Just like every other show, this will slowly fade away. Hell, AOT, GITS, and SAO are fading memories. I'll keep this in my deep closet and hope there is enough push for at least an OVA

As a single-season oneshot type of story this was fine, but it really stumbles at the end.
You can basically just call the show
"Shirou is never fucking wrong except by extremely overly specific extenuating circumstances that could never at any point have been inferred by the audience by just watching the show, thus making it justified for him to get details wrong."
The final battle was a total letdown for a Trigger show, too, and it didn't really have any proper buildup. I guess the baddie escaping is supposed to act like a sequel hook were the show to become some unbelievable smash hit, but I kinda doubt it.

And Nazuna being a total dickhead to Michiru and accusing her of some pretty fucking vile shit is never really properly apologized for, which is grating as hell. And Boris never actually served any special purpose besides being a goon without any motives or goals of his own that aren't just him predictably being a sex offender at the end.
It was a fun ride with some enjoyable characters, but I was hoping for more polish story-wise.
Michiru is best tomboy, tho.
3,5/5

Episode 1-2 First Impression
Hm...
It's alright so far.
Of all the times to release an anime about social discrimination, 2020 is probably the best/worst time.

I'm not sure to make of BNA based on these episodes. I see a polished, nicely made anime that tries to squeeze in a setting and story that probably would work better in a longer series.
As a skeptical otaku, I'll probably give it a few more episodes before deciding to stay or quit. It's good enough so far to stay, but the story so far is okay.

Show felt really rushed at the end and didn't give enough time to introducing the world and characters. It did try during the first half but honestly episode 5 was very bad and needed more then what the other episodes offered. Show should have been 24 episodes with a slower build up.

3.5-4 out of 5

Episode 1
All-New X-Men Brand New Animal sure can't be read in a way that mirrors other struggles for acceptance or social justice, that's for sure.

The visuals are cool, but that's to be expected, and the audio is suitably energetic to match.

At first I thought Anima City looked like a dopey place, but they showed Inferno Cop at the festival, so it's obviously a rad place to be, terrorists and all.

I liked how it didn't get bogged down in expobabble or backstory, but instead just gave us the important points and then got on with it.

Dunno what I think about the characters, though: none are very interesting so far, or instantly likeable or hate-worthy.

I'm kinda hoping for a Rachel Dolezal situation with the raccoon dog.

Episode 2
Pew pew, Anima City may be a complete shithole, but the tired detective dog is a character I can relate to. Sadly, we're also treated to horrible things like exposition and civics, and I don't get much in the way of explosions to make up for it.

Mr. Clean seems almost endearingly stupid in the last exchange of ideas. "Kids being traumatized is not a mistake for sure." I guess we should be happy that the humanimals don't eat their young but instead sell them off to creepy collectors.

Take your feministo ideals and leave Asshole City, Michiro. Patriarchy obviously rules the entire animal world, which was absolutely not met by a snort from me when the creepy pusher turned out to be a hyena (but maybe he wasn't a spotted hyena so I can't be too incredulous).

Since @Starletka and @Taek have abandoned me for being much better than them, I soldiering on alone.

Episode 3
I watched this earlier today, but I remember not feeling the mounting mystery of raccoon gal's shapeshiftery and Shirou's general douchiness. The corrupt guys are serviceable, and the audiovisuals are very nice.

Since @Starletka and @Taek have abandoned me for being much better than them, I soldiering on alone.

Episode 3
I watched this earlier today, but I remember not feeling the mounting mystery of raccoon gal's shapeshiftery and Shirou's general douchiness. The corrupt guys are serviceable, and the audiovisuals are very nice.
Actually I've watched the first 2 episodes but have been too lazy to post. I'll start with the third episode tomorrow though.

Episode 3

Michiru continues to be my favourite thing about the show
I'm less invested this time around in the politiking behind the scenes, and more invested in Michiru and her frustration that no one is really listening to her or trusting her own agency.

Shirou is less interesting at this point in the story too, he is mainly there for some cool fight scenes and magical sniff powers.

The show continues to be style over substance, which is 100% fine with me. I don't feel like I have to have my whole brain engaged and can just enjoy the lovely visuals.

Episode 4
They sure seem like ingrates for doing the bare minimum for getting her feel welcome after, you know, helping out to save a lot of people and whatnot.

Doing mob executions in broad daylight? Flip sure has guts. And a very gay line in the Netflix sub. No homo!

I didn't realise passing was an applicable concept here. Everyone but Michiru can shapeshift and I haven't noticed anything that makes the humanimals stand out when they're not in beast mode.

Stay in your ghetto, brats! Animal features are something to be appropriated by the haves so they can be great allies and feel good about themselves! They aren't interested in your pesky opinions, that's for sure!

That closing scene, though.

Episode 4

So this episode was showing us how callous humans treat beastmen still, as a novelty, then with complete lack of knowledge or sense to ask someone what they need.

Gangsters in this world don't fuck about. Poor Hyena man suffers the fate of all Hyenas in fiction, a stereotype for evil used as story fodder.

Episode 5

The best episode of the entire show
Much like episode 4 of Kill la Kill, this is all about fun with the characters and fun with the animation. You can tell this was an episode directed by Imaishi, it has all of his signatures all over it, the ridiculous physics, the humour, the hot blooded moments. This is an episode that gets me fired up even when that isn't really the intention.

Plot!
I'm not really that bothered about the religious/mythology backdrop here, but I do like the interactions between Michiru and Nazuna. Particularly at the end of the episode, I think it made for some good introspective stuff for Michiru, even if it was pretty harsh by the person supposed to be her best friend.

Episode 5
Baseball is something that I abhor in real life, but it tends to make good anime episodes. This is no exception. I actually wish Imaishi would direct a sports anime.

The episode makes me wish the entirety of TTGL was like this, instead of, well, not.

Sports are dirty and plagued with shitty money issues and criminality, and the people profiting off the players and fans should probably be in jail. However, for a lot of people, it's the only way out besides a life of crime. But enough about real life, this episode was damn good.

Wow, I only meant to watch an episode or 2 of this today and wound up marathoning the whole thing! I don't even know why I liked it so much. I just did, 10/10 loved it! Hoping for season 2.

Back