Brand New Animal

Discussion in 'Currently Airing Anime' started by Zed, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Jul 5, 2019
  2. MaxwellCoffeeCat

MaxwellCoffeeCat Active Member

A new studio trigger work, that is not a collab? The current studio trigger has been a mess when they collaborated, so maybe this is their come back? I'm excited to see how this will go.

cosmia likes this.
  3. Ebonyslayer

Ebonyslayer Well-Known Member

I think it might be worth keeping an eye on for now at least.

howtoprocrastinate likes this.
  4. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Oh hai there Inferno Cop
    [​IMG]

Well, it's no surprise this was directed by the same guy that did LWA. The dense visuals, energetic animation and overall slick style are all familiar. I could gush on and on about the direction in this episode. Not a single second is wasted on unnecessary information. It flows from one set piece to the next giving out enough details that the plot and themes are easy to follow without boring exposition dumps. The music is excellent and always perfectly chosen and the action scenes have panache. My favorite detail in the first episode was the Beastman terrorist using John Wick style tactical reloads.

Great first episode. Now hopefully someone uses this quarantine time to sub the rest. Although I need to watch the first episode again because I likely missed some story details while admiring the visuals.

cosmia, Gozza, AnimeJunkee and 3 others like this.
  5. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Mar 21, 2020
    01:

HEY ARE YOU, READY TO GO!

That OP is stuck in my head guys.

[​IMG]
    @ZetsubouKaiji's favourite thing to do, gulping down on energy drinks. I instantly thought of you and your energy drink addiction, just saying man.

[​IMG]
    The beast people have excellent taste, but god FUCKING DAMMIT TRIGGER. STAHP TEASING ME, WHERE IS MY INFERNO COP SEASON 2? YOU BUTT MUNCHES.

[​IMG]
    Wolfie pulled a real Bleach move there. I'm BEHIND U.

Also, I laughed pretty hard he punches the guy SO FUCKING hard, he literally bounces off the ground. Is that concrete made of bouncy rubber? And stark color contrast is always great.

The ending of the episode certainly raises questions, so tanuki girl has human origins, that's interesting. So how did she become a beast? There's a lot of socio-political themes around this obviously with the whole tension between beast people and humans, beast people creating their own space and some shady nefarious undertones to this I feel. Trigger for me, is very much an execution studio and they nail the execution for me, the animation is amazing and stylish but I wouldn't expect anything less.

Fun stuff, and Michiru is a pretty cute tomboy tanuki girl. Tanuki's in japanese folk lore have the ability to shape shift usually, so I'm wondering if that's going to come into play here where she can literally shape shift into anything?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  6. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Mar 22, 2020
    02:

I already liked the first episode, but this 2nd episode made me love this show even more. This is beyond fucking awesome, never been more sold.

The world building is so densely packed man, I gotta take my time to parse everything. From the dark underbelly of their society with Yakuza gangs, survival of the fittest rule, the troubles of beast women and that beast people normally take human form otherwise it's seen as provocation for others. So many good details to think over, just wow, this show is certainly showing the sheer brutality of this world. You had kids being SOLD OFF for christ sake. But the episode also had it's funny moments, like when Michiru was trying to teach the kids. That chalkboard image is ripe for the memes. And she can apparently fucking EXTEND and CONTORT her arms in such goofy ways, I love all of this. She was like Luffy from One Piece. Her being so sick of this shit in a world that is so alien to her is completely understandable. This show is really doing a great job in endearing me to her character and she is in a rather precarious predicament.

Also, is it just me, or does the head honcho remind any one of that woman from Doctor Strange?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't praise this enough.

7. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Starting to grow desperate from being away from my computer. Fuuuuuu k me...

8. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

Thinking about hopping in on this one

Gozza, Gens and howtoprocrastinate like this.
  9. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 2:

This show is legit.
    The first episode is a lot of flash with enough substance to keep it compelling. The second episode slows down and adds a ton of nuance to the world while still managing to transfix my attention. It's a depressing allegory for the real world where the weakest among the population are the most exploited because they have no way of defending themselves. The beastmen are already an exploited population, but because no one cares about them their women and children are preyed upon by their own kind because it's the only way to survive. The beastman government is doing its best, but it can barely fend off a rivalry with the human government, much less defend its own citizens. It's like a game of chess where the sacrifices have to be chosen because to try to defend everything is to lose the game.

Bennyvy, Gens and howtoprocrastinate like this.
  10. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Honestly you'll love just solely for the cute tanuki tomboy. High, high recommend on this one, this feels like it's easily going to one of the best, if not the best spring show of the season. (Barring Yahari)

11. Bennyvy

Bennyvy Member

I'm really enjoying this, art is on point and the story keeps getting better.
    Yey!

Just how?
    [​IMG]
    Because Trigger.

Also, the music playing at the entrance scene of Rabbit Town is so badass~ !

12. ZetsubouKaiji

The music is one of the best things about this show. When the animation and direction are this outstanding the fact that I'm still taking particular notice of the musical tracks to check for later is really cool. There haven't been any classic jams like Ping Pong Circulate or Blumenkrantz, but everything has fit so perfect so far I don't even care.

13. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

By the way, number one rule, when something's dubbed as paradise it is usually is not paradise.

-----
    03-04:

This definitely feels darker than LWA from Yoshinari, I appreciate him going for a different kind of tone here. How Flip executed someone was beyond fucking savage and merciless, it caught me a little off guard. His daughter almost dying in that water tank and Michiru's life has been on edge once or twice, this series ain't holding anything back. It was nice Nina though didn't hate humans even after that deadly incident, it felt more like an unintentional severe disconnect and misunderstanding. She still cherished her time there and I thought the humans looked like they genuinely felt bad about it although their praise of beast people felt more superficial than anything. Michiru's perspective about beast people is opening up, she's not sure yet with her own personal identity and has some soul searching to do. Gotta love a good coming of age tale. They're nailing the emotional beats for me and I'm pretty intrigued about where the plot is going with this. Also CALLED IT, she's got really whacko shape shifting abilities, she can mimic anything lol

And oh my god is this a little witch academia reference?
    [​IMG]
    Trigger is a self-referencing machine.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  14. QueenSkull

QueenSkull Database Moderator

So far... I LOVE THIS.
    I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS.

I find the animation to be neat. I liek the colors. The world building is HNNNGHH and characters are whoaaahgbhjbhvjfbhj !! aNother thing I really like is that they didn't make this cutesy, bubbly and wooo~ They have dark themes hidden under those bootifuk colors. I probably wouldn't mind if this was a wholesome show, but I just adore it for being badass!
    I didn't know what to expect. I noticed that a lot of people were quite unenthusiastic about it, calling it the Furry Paradise shit show. That only furries and those who haven't figured it out yet can like it, but bruh... Don't judge the shiet before you have seen it.
    Don't say the shit stinks when you haven't pushed that bastard out of ur body yet
    o-
    This is a spring anime imma be EXCITED for every week. BRING IT ON

15. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Right now I'm waiting for Lord Genome to show up and start the beast-men uprising. Send those humies to the underground ghettos!

16. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Not sure if I still want it now. Rest in peace, roasting marshmallows over the flames of Hell

17. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

05:

The true reason the dodos went extinct:
    [​IMG]
    This was so fucking absurd, I love it. I had way too much fun with this episode and Michiru going all out with her powers for baseball. Beast people going extinct because of friggin baseball, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAhA.

This was probably the most trigger episode yet and a nice change of pace. Go bears! Go BEARS! GO BEARS! You adorable munchkins.

18. GTOwlnizuka

GTOwlnizuka Well-Known Member

This sounds legitimately interesting and of course I can't find it streaming T^T

0 for 2 tonight.

Gens likes this.
  19. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

It's on Japanese Netflix only for now.

BrainBlow and GTOwlnizuka like this.
  20. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 4:

What kind of dipshit doesn't know that dolphins need to breathe air? The episode shows some uncomfortable ignorance on both the beastman side and the human side.