Boogiepop Phantom

:o Don't worry about it, family and work first! Sorry to hear about the scare, but I'm glad he's alright :)

Just don't push yourself to catch up, if you're a bit late we'll understand. Like I told Zed, we're not going to hate you or kick you out of our Boogiepop club if you can't finish on-time XD

I appreciate that! Kisses all around xo

Episode 10:
So, at first I wasn't seeing why @GenSan called this esoteric... now I'm starting to get it XD

So butterfly girl is the source of a lot of this? I mean, I guess not all of it, but quite a bit of the second half at least... how does this tie back to the man-eaters and the organization, and what exactly is this manticore that keeps coming up? (Aside from the standard mythical creature.) There was something previously about the manticore getting messed up or something in the pillar of light and Boogiepop took its form I think and it took Soatome's form I think? And we still don't really know what Boogiepop's deal is...

I've definitely been having more trouble following the second half than the first. At the same time, I'm not 100% sure how many answers I actually want from this season. Definitely some more, but I'm honestly not certain I want everything wrapped up neatly with a nice little bow where everything makes perfect sense at the end. I think having some of the mystique still there going into the new series would be nice.

9: Come to hell we have balloons
"Hey, did you know you could go to this one place, and get balloons!?"
"you mean that place what's insanely dangerous where evil things dwell and terrible things happen where you should never ever go at all ever no matter what?"
"... jee karen you're a lot of fun"

First half is pretty straightforward, but I love all the phone sounds they sprinkle throughout to set up the next part.

But then it gets straightforward again. I dunno, i really like this episode but the lets play together stuff. It feels a bit too horror stuff that's trying to be scary by seeming innocent, something i dislike. That's alright though, im giving it a pass.
I bet you thought I was gonna insinuate an IT reference. But nope, I'm too cultuWEALLFLOATDOWNHERE

Being a student, I completely understand... Oh! You don't want to leave the house?! You would rather dine in? ;)
We will go to the best junk food places in town... and hope that things don't go Boogiepop on us and lead to mindfucks!

Episode 10:

Oyasumi, Poom Poom. Has anyone made this joke yet? Don't worry, this one's on me. A theme about growing up and never forgetting your past. It's a grim take on adulthood and the world's cold reality, but nothing new I haven't seen before. Poor Poom Poom's a friendless thing, even if he collects and saves various children from ungrateful people. "We were never really friends LMAO" - what a dick thing to do, for real. So it turns out Poom Poom's actually that abusive brother from the last episode? I used to enjoy all the little connections at first; now I'm so confused.

Moral of the Episode: Growing up sucks, but getting stuck in the House of Mirrors sucks harder.

Episode 11:

WHAT THE FUCK, THERE'S TWO BOOGIEPOPS NOW?! An abusive grandma, an amnesiac mother, and an immature playboy for a dad - no wonder our girl's been forced to play with the pretty yellow butterflies. Like the previous episode, this one also takes on the theme of growing up and growing out of your old shell. Unlike Poom Poom, Butterfly Baby's way more repressed and moody about wanting to stay a kid forever. Kind of sad how she got the name Echoes. Turns out knowledge isn't power after all.

Moral of the Episode: WHAT THE FUCK, THERE'S TWO BOOGIEPOPS NOW?!

I've definitely been having more trouble following the second half than the first. At the same time, I'm not 100% sure how many answers I actually want from this season. Definitely some more, but I'm honestly not certain I want everything wrapped up neatly with a nice little bow where everything makes perfect sense at the end. I think having some of the mystique still there going into the new series would be nice.

I feel you. I only have the last episode left to watch, but I still feel like there were a bunch of things I must have missed or the show failed to present properly. I liked the first episodes' set-up, which used those character one-shots to build the Boogiepop mythos. Now that the second half's turning into an info dump, I feel like something's still missing, even if things are getting revealed one after the other.

As for the Manticore...

Wasn't he Time Travel Cop/the worm guy that died in that episode with the abusive brother? Or was he just the Manticore's lackey after all?

Everyone is on episode 9?! Fuck me hard!

I expected more of a "take me out to dinner hard!"

Yeah, then tomorrow morning, I'm gonna hit y'all with the "let me take you out for breakfast hard!"

Episode 10:

Oyasumi, Poom Poom. Has anyone made this joke yet? Don't worry, this one's on me. A theme about growing up and never forgetting your past. It's a grim take on adulthood and the world's cold reality, but nothing new I haven't seen before. Poor Poom Poom's a friendless thing, even if he collects and saves various children from ungrateful people. "We were never really friends LMAO" - what a dick thing to do, for real. So it turns out Poom Poom's actually that abusive brother from the last episode? I used to enjoy all the little connections at first; now I'm so confused.

Moral of the Episode: Growing up sucks, but getting stuck in the House of Mirrors sucks harder.

Episode 11:

WHAT THE FUCK, THERE'S TWO BOOGIEPOPS NOW?! An abusive grandma, an amnesiac mother, and an immature playboy for a dad - no wonder our girl's been forced to play with the pretty yellow butterflies. Like the previous episode, this one also takes on the theme of growing up and growing out of your old shell. Unlike Poom Poom, Butterfly Baby's way more repressed and moody about wanting to stay a kid forever. Kind of sad how she got the name Echoes. Turns out knowledge isn't power after all.

Moral of the Episode: WHAT THE FUCK, THERE'S TWO BOOGIEPOPS NOW?!

I feel you. I only have the last episode left to watch, but I still feel like there were a bunch of things I must have missed or the show failed to present properly. I liked the first episodes' set-up, which used those character one-shots to build the Boogiepop mythos. Now that the second half's turning into an info dump, I feel like something's still missing, even if things are getting revealed one after the other.

As for the Manticore...

Wasn't he Time Travel Cop/the worm guy that died in that episode with the abusive brother? Or was he just the Manticore's lackey after all?

Yeah, then tomorrow morning, I'm gonna hit y'all with the "let me take you out for breakfast hard!"
Episode 11?! Geesh! Yep! Need to pound hard this weekend to get caught up! ;)

Damn, I think I need to take a shower after catching up on this thread. Mercy, I do believe I'm gettin' the vapors!

As for the Manticore...

Dude, I don't even fucking know anymore...

Episode 12:

Yup, that's it. I'm finished. Thank God...?

Holy tonal shift, Batman! This episode feels squeaky-new and totally out of place with the rest of the dreary stuff we've gotten used to so far. And I'm not just talking about the brighter colors and the lighter atmosphere here. Nah, I'm talking about the fact that nobody is friggin' talking about Boogiepop in this episode. That's it. Kaput. Her adventures have officially come to a close.

Except they really haven't, 'cos it turns out that reporter from before really did get hit by the Manticore something and ended up becoming a vessel for it anyway. The adventure continues! One last case before retirement! I know he's connected with the Organization in some way, but was he also the detective who mentored Kirima Nagi? Fuck, this hurts my brain. Whatever the case though, you gotta give Boogiepop some props for putting on that purple lipstick so quickly before going out to bust some electromagnetic butt.

The ending was very anti-climactic for me, because I didn't really get the sense that whatever happened in the previous episode was a final duel or whatever. So when this episode turned out to be the wrap-up sort of finale, I couldn't help but feel there were big somethings I was missing in spite of it all.

Moral of the Episode: Even Underground Ghostbusters need their Beauty Sleep. Not unless you want to be like Kirima Nagi who just

2MxtC.jpg

fucking

2MxtD.jpg

falls asleep

2MxtE.jpg

wherefuckingever.

2MxtF.jpg

Overall:

Okay, I'll be honest. Boogiepop Phantom just isn't the show for me.

I sort of had a handle on what I was getting myself into with this show, but even then, I wasn't prepared enough for what happened. Stuff happened in murky timing and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't really get myself into the groove of things. The series had an interesting start, where the series of character one-shots helped build the Boogiepop legend. But by the time it decided to explain the whole thing, the show either missed out on a lot of key details or dropped the ball when it came to the expositions. It's got a lot to do with its disoriented way of telling the story, where linear sequences are only a suggestion, and time flies forwards and backwards on a whim.

There was also the very vague, unclear way the series chose to present its plot details. Either characters got by with simple one-liners or they dumped a whole ton of information on you right away. It was hard for me to keep up, basically. And the characters, oh boy. It was hard to get invested in any of them when I already had such a hard time remembering them and their role in the story. Ultimately, this is a show that's completely rough around the edges and comes with its own certain charm. But at the same time, it's also a show that got too caught up in its own mythos, that most of the plot details seemed needlessly roundabout and complex.

Maybe a rewatch will change my mind, or maybe my perceptions will get better with time, who knows. I'd give the modern reboot a shot, if only to get a firmer grasp on the story, but I'm not so sure if I'll be re-visiting this original run ever again.

2.5/5

Last edited:
Back