Bokura wa Bara no Ko

Discussion in 'Specific Manga Discussion' started by Hoozuki, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Hoozuki

Hoozuki Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Posted by Hoozuki on Nov 1, 2019
  2. UniversalParanoia1

UniversalParanoia1 Well-Known Member

Chapter 1
    So this manga is starting out to a solid, yet very depressing start. That beginning section before the chapter started, it gave us the idea that something bad is going to happen involving the alien child. So there’s probably more depressing things to come. I think that maybe the story of the cat waiting for it’s owner might be symbolic for something later in the plot, but I’m not sure how that would be incorporated. I’m very curious to see where this goes though.

Hoozuki likes this.
  3. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 2
    Yukinari, the main character, is precious with a capital P! And the baby alien is even cuter! It was so cute to see him try to get the baby unafraid of him. So far, all of the characters are accurate to actual kids and are super cute and it makes the reader just want the absolute best for them. This manga is gonna be something to cry over I can tell, oh boy.

Hoozuki likes this.
  4. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 3
    This manga seems to be really good at portraying small, but meaningful messages to the reader. I’m also getting to know each character more, which is nice. The baby, he named her Barako, I can already FEEL myself getting attached to her. Also, this is kind of weird to think about, but how does Yukinari clean up after her? Like, does she poop at all? Or does her ‘alien’ kind not poop? I don’t know man. Maybe he just changes the towel he has wrapped around her every so often lmao anyways, I enjoyed this chapter

Hoozuki likes this.
  5. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 4
    I really liked this chapter! We got to see more about Kojirou and we got to learn about him more as a character too, which is nice. Also, Barako started talking! This is cute and all, but it’s making me worried for how fast she will grow and learn, I really don’t want her to turn into a monster or anything, but it seems that she might if the ‘prologue’ means anything. I have a feeling that this manga is gonna take a huge dark turn.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 5
    This was a very emotional chapter. A bit cheesy, but still good nonetheless. I’m proud of Kojirou for sticking up for his friends, I’m upset he got hurt, but he was mentally tough, and he’s a good character. Furthermore, (I say this again) I enjoy how realistic the main characters are, they feel like real people, and this realistic-ness is a good balance with the alien baby, who is anything but.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 6
    WOAH WOAH WOAHHHH, HOLD UP THERE. Did she just kill that guy?! WOAH this whole thing just spells disaster for the future. Oh boy...

8. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 7
    At this point, it’s clear to see that we are getting to know each character one by one, about their personality and goals, lifestory, etc. I don’t mind this at all, especially since we get to see how they each act around Barako. So this chapter was about Arika, and her backstory and personality. We know she has a thing for Saya at this point, this was a nice informational chapter. Now we just gotta see who Saya is going to the festival with, oooo. Also, I’m getting more and more worried about Barako.

9. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 8
    WHAT A WHOLESOME CHAPTER! This chapter made my heart happy. Arika has learned to be less selfish and care about others more, and she even made up with Mei which was super sweet. I’m going to enjoy these wholesome chapters while I can.

[​IMG]

10. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 9
    A very emotional chapter involving Yukinari, I also get reminded of the fact that Yukinari is adopted haha. Anyways, another life lesson. This one in particular is about loving your family, no matter who they may be or even if you are related to them by blood. We also got some cute scenes with Yukinari and Barako, which is sweet but also makes me nervous because I’m getting attached to the little killer alien loli now.

11. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 10
    OH NO. I was shaking my head near the end of this chapter, shaking my head so hard. Nooooo, I KNOW this is gonna be bad, really really bad. Inori is teaching Barako all the wrong thingsssss! I’m getting so worried now. Actually, Inori himself, seems to be a very interesting character. His parents are never around so he’s neglected, and he has come to love his friends, especially Yukinari, an awful lot. He wants to use Barako to protect Yukinari and to get back at all the bad adults because he never had a stable adult figure in his life. This manga is an emotional rollercoaster but I’m loving it.

12. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 11
    I honestly never thought that an innocent sounding story like this would end up with so much psychological depth in it. Okay so, from this chapter, I’ve gathered that Inori as had a hard past, more than just neglect, but also physical abuse. It’s so bad that he wants to kill his mom one day, yikes. This only makes Inori’s character even more interesting in the story. But Inori’s past is also making me worry about what he’s gonna make Barako do. (And seeing Barako smiling at the paper when it mentioned the guy’s body being found, sank my heart and gave me literal chills. Oh boy...

13. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 12
    So Yukinari’s mom comes back to see him in this chapter. And honestly, it doesn’t feel that believable in my personal opinion. I mean, if he was put up for adoption, I don’t see why she’d come back for him, but maybe it’s a thing that happens I’m not sure. (It’s a bit more believable when I look back on the postcards but ehhh) Regardless how I feel about that whole situation though, Barako’s emotions through all of this were perfectly depicted, and honestly her killing stare before she killed Yukinari’s mom sent literal chills down my spine. This is one hell of a good manga so far.

14. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 13
    SHIT SHITTTTT! So Yukinari found out about Barako and her killing people. This chapter right here really dives right into the human psyche. Yukinari felt relieved that the one who abused him was dead, but he didn’t want Inori or Barako to be the ones to do it. The manga itself brings all sorts of questions about what is right or wrong into light and like, turns them on their head. I’m getting super nervous about this now.

15. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 14
    My heart is being broken and trampled on by this manga right now. I’m not even sure what to say, Barako broke out into violence for some reason when she saw that light in the sky. It’s obvious that the light has something to do with where she came from, but I’m not sure why it provoked that reaction in her. I’m so scared for her now.

16. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 15
    I just feel so uneasy and disturbed watching these kids decide how they are going to kill Barako, even if they are doing it for the better, it doesn’t feel like it is. This is so surreal.

17. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 16
    I’m in shock. I had a suspicion that Barako would end up killing herself instead, but it still hit me hard when she let go. Barako just wanted what was best for Yukinari and the others, she just loved them and wanted to protect them. She was taught the wrong things, and she herself is dangerous, but she still cares. When I read that part about both the love and the pain being real, I think I almost cried a little, not gonna lie. I’m readying myself for the end of this.

18. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 17
    Oh, so we have a flash forward chapter now? These are always both relieving for me and painful at the same time. It was nice to see them all go back and remember the fun they had when they were younger. They all have moved on from Barako, but they all still miss her. We also got an old guy Yukinari.

Also I just realized this, but before Barako killed herself, she prayed for a power to help. And hearing that story about that guy who got healed by a girl with red hair, made my heart smile.

19. UniversalParanoia1

Chapter 18 FINAL CHAPTER
    This was probably my favorite chapter. Going through all the things that everyone gave to Barako, what it’s like to be alive and happy, what really living is like. These were all expressed beautifully in this chapter. I’M NOT CRYING YOU ARE!

This was such an amazing read, more people should read this manga because it’s an underrated gem.