Bloom Into You

Episode 9:

This is turning out to be a worthy successor of Maria-sama ga Miteru.

Also...

Consent in a shoujo-ai??

BCyp5Cr.png

Episode 9:

tryna throw your lesbian stalker off your trail like

2NHWC.jpg

2NHWD.jpg

Goddammit, he's straight. There goes my deluded broship.

Yuu's falling in love and it's super, super dangerous that she is. I guess it's a good thing she's finally, finally starting to feel some things for Nanami, but what happens when Nanami finds out Yuu's starting to like her for real? Yuu's expecting some other grand realization to go along with her new feelings (as if the race wasn't enough), but she doesn't realize finding a new level of comfort with someone else can also be romantic in its own way.

Maki:

2NHWG.jpg

Also Maki:

0fe.jpg

Which is exactly why it's gonna get all kinds of dangerous once both Yuu and Nanami get wind of the other girl's feelings. Good on Yuu for getting her first feel of romance, and good on her for pulling back when she did. Most of this is going to be on Nanami, who's looking more and more manipulative by taking advantage of Yuu's ignorance to get as much pampering as she can. What's gonna happen when it all falls down?

2NHWB.jpg

*Careless Whisper intensifies*

Holy hell, Arthur can sing O.O
As I expected, they completely ignored the interlude in this episode, which I'm actually completely okay with, as I always felt it was kinda irrelevant and didn't really add much to the story. Plus, I really don't think it would have worked with the tone of this episode at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in the next episode, though.

They did add a nice little scene showing Yuu giving some good ol' student council direction to the other teams, which I thought was nice to see.
Also, Nanami wasn't holding the papers in the scene with the shed in the manga version, so I'm glad they added that for a little dramatic moment with her carelessly dropping them as she kissed Yuu, which was sweet. :3
For Sports Day, they added a little exchange between Koyomi and Akari admiring Yuu's running ability. Didn't mean much, but was still fun to see. They also gave us a LOT more lines for Nanami and Serizawa's competitive heckling. That new water bottle shot during Yuu's conversation with Maki was also a nice showcase for the animation quality.
The race was the big highlight of the episode for me. I had never thought about how they would adapt it, but they made it a genuine setpiece, and it was frankly emotionally charged, especially when Yuu got to watch Nanami run. To me, that marks the exact moment Yuu's subconscious love for Nanami shot straight up to 100%.
And then we got something I didn't expect: a completely new scene featuring Miyako and Riko-sensei after Sports Day cleanup! I absolutely love seeing these two together, and this scene gave me hope that we might continue to see just a little bit more anime-original moments with them.
The follow-up scene in the shed was exactly what I was waiting for. @Starletka, I completely understand why it made you uncomfortable, but for me, it was just perfect. I love these kinds of payoffs in yuri, especially as a queer chick, and this definitely got the biggest squeal out of me <3 I also feel that hearing Yuu's thoughts about Nanami confirms what I thought in the race, that her internal affection for her is on the verge of breaking into the forefront of her mind. Her racing heart, and (after her initial shock) the way she went along with it, it's all she can do to deny to herself -- to just swear to herself that she doesn't feel something. I also really think it was a smart decision for her to turn down leading the kiss, because that may have just triggered a bit more of Nanami's suspicion towards Yuu's burgeoning affection like we saw in Episode 8, and may have led to her doing something drastic.

And with that, aside from the aforementioned interlude, we are now into Volume 4 :)

This might just be my new favorite episode of the whole show.

Last edited:
EP 9

My nose is bleeding. I squealed like a 13 yr old girl at a Nsync concert. Time to get in before the real Essay-sama shows up.

Starts playing Careless Whisper
It happened. It finally happened. A yuri that I can actually be proud of watching and not be ashamed of cause it had echii in it. This show gets more and more amazing. Also, I'm loving the relationship that is Miyako and Riko. I have a feeling they may play a huge part in this.

I can see how Touko may have come off as a bit rapey at first. It was the first thing that I thought as well. However, things started to happen that made me question so much. Touko forced Yuu back into the shed. She pressed her up against the wall and started kissing her. However, Yuu just stood there like it was some phase a little kid had to go through and waited for it to be over. However, the animators managed to capture something that I didn't think would translate. Yuu showed no discomfort. The entire time she was fine with it and just waited for it to be over. That was flag #1.

The idea that Touko would get rewarded by Yuu as a prize for behaving herself the entire day of the sports competition had me thinking many things. The biggest was Yuu would surprise her and actually take lead.

The entire competition scene was nice. But it was more interesting to see that Miyako finally gets to see the girl Sayaka is in love with. Now that she has a face, she will know that Touko looks at Yuu differently, will discuss this with Riko, and things will begin to unravel. But that's for another theory.

When Yuu had that conversation with Seiji in the hallway, I was sure he was going to start to fall for her when she said she was like him. That didn't happen. What we did see was Yuu hold up a water bottle while the entire scene was given an illusion of being underwater. This tells us that she actually does feel all alone, almost as if she is drowning and sinking further and further. But that changes in a bit.

It's after the sports even and Touko is chomping at the bits waiting for her prize. Yuu is still in shock that she has to do it first. MAN when she got on top of her and tried to kiss her but felt like it was wrong, part of me was screaming NOOOOOOO!!! But I think it wasn't for the reasons I thought it was at first. I think she felt as though it was going to unleash feelings of guilt because her making the initial move is a lie she doesn't want to take any further and the feeling of being so alone didn't help. Until we see her hand jab up towards the surface of the water. As if her mind is actually telling her that this feeling is actually the feeling of anticipation because you are crying out for help and you want this to happen.

What brings me to this? When Touko loses control and slips the tongue. I almost AAAHHHH out loud. Her out of breath reaction and Yuu freaking out and stopping it was realistically perfect. But what followed left me sspeechless Yuu tells her that it actually felt good. Touko reacting to that in surprise and shock set her off track. But when she did it again and Yuu kissed back, I was waiting for a special mmomentthat solidifies a person is not just enjoying it, they are letting their guard down and letting all of their feelings go all out...............

Yuu hugs/holds Touko back. The fact that Yuu also used her tounge and held Touko is showing that she really is developing feeilngs. The issue is that she drowning so deep in her loonleyness that she can't see it. But I think she saw her first sign of hope. A glimmer of a hand sticking into the water.

The bigger issue is going to be Sayaka. I'm pretty sure she is going to get Yuu alone, they are going to get into some big argument and Yuu will slip that they had this massive intimate moment. I also think that Sayaka is mature enough to ask if Yuu initiatted or kissed back. If Yuu answers yes then she knows that Yuu is 100% a threat and the true war will begin.

My hope is that Touko and Yuu hit this massive slump, almost end up splitting and Yuu finds out about Miyako and Riko being in a relationship. All three will have a sit down and Yuu will hear them talk, see how happy they are together and finally realize that she loves Touko.

My mind is runnign. So many theories. This episode was the best and that equipment shed was done beautifully.

Take it away Essay-sama

Just...shut up, Maki.

Useless little...

Anyway.

In a week of under-performing 9th episodes, glad to see Bloom brought the heft back. Solid episode.
Highlights: Yuu watching Nanami run and falling in conscious-love...or at least that weird unexpected early-stage of a crush where you don't really know that you like the person, just that you can't stop thinking about them. And that kiss at the end, which...yowza.

Also, Nanami wasn't holding the papers in the scene with the shed in the manga version, so I'm glad they added that for a little dramatic moment with her carelessly dropping them as she kissed Yuu
I don't know that I would call it a sweet moment, but I certainly enjoyed the detail. Nanami, for better or worse, craves Yuu.

My hope is that Touko and Yuu hit this massive slump, almost end up splitting and Yuu finds out about Miyako and Riko being in a relationship. All three will have a sit down and Yuu will hear them talk, see how happy they are together and finally realize that she loves Touko.
I've previously said that I have no particular interest in these two, but I promise that has nothing to do with my absolute opposition to this idea. (But not your hopes! Hope well, friend!)

Yuu's journey and Sayaka's are very different. And while Sayaka might need affirmation of her sexuality, a kind of safe-haven mentoring that Miyako (and, further, the Miyako/Riko relationship) might bring her, I feel like Yuu has to discover something much more...profound, and thus discover it for herself, that her epiphany must be entirely self-realized and self-derived. I know it would be nice for her to have someone to talk to, but if she's not hashing it out by herself or with Nanami, then it would kinda seem like cheating. At least, that's how it seems to me.

(Which, as a corollary, means f*** off, Maki.)

tryna throw your lesbian stalker off your trail like
Ah--beat me to it!

Good on Yuu
giphy.gif

The warehouse scene was uncomfortable. You can't just force yourself on someone.
I think it's a credit to this show that the moment Nanmi closes the door feels uncomfortable, rather than makes us feel uncomfortable.

And no hiding behind "yuri rules," this time, to make it all sexy-like.
tumblr_p25dkikH4p1r2rp33o2_540.gif

"It's fine. Just looking for any yuri rules you might have hidden on you."
That said...it made that much more of an impact when Yuu fought back, because it means what happened before it, however uncouth, hadn't yet crossed her line.

I think my simple "not liking" Nanami is quickly turning into downright disliking her.
Right? I don't know how I like this as much as I do, with basically all of the characters landing only just shy of "insufferable" on my character barometer. Again, credit where it's due for making the struggles (such as they are)--or at least the presentation thereof--compelling despite the personalities that are beset with them.

Except you, Maki. You can go to hell.

Time to get in before the real Essay-sama shows up.
giphy.gif

Get it? 'Cus it's an image response and not words?

Episode 10:

Me, after watching Inception that one time:

2P1XY.jpg

are those two girls in the background hate-texting each other or what

Koyomi didn't just write a school play script, girl went right ahead and wrote an entire indie movie, it's always the silent ones isn't it.

The school play looks like it'll be the climax of the series, and with everyone's roles set the way they are, it'll be fun to see what kind of decisions they'll make for themselves. ON STAGE! Ain't that the venue for dramatic realizations made at the height of puberty. I'm surprised they managed to squeeze in a training camp, but if that'll mean more screentime for the student council bros, then I'm all in. At this point, they're only going to be good for reactions, but they're always so funny when they show up - Maki, who's in the know, versus Dojima, who's always out of the loop. They should make a comedy duo or something, that should be fun too.

Maki:
2P1XZ.jpg

Also Maki:
giphy.gif

I think the contrasting points of view during the phone call scene (Nanami feeling calmed down vs. Yuu getting all excited and flustered) was supposed to be cute, but since it's Nanami and Yuu on both ends of the conversation, I'm still feeling very uneasy. These two aren't getting better for each other, especially since Nanami's all but doubled-down on becoming Sister 2.0. Nicely-done flashback scene post-credits, it was sad, but still, Nanami wtf is u doin' you can't do that kinda stuff to Yuu!

2P1XX.jpg

"Don't they stone people for that?!"

Maki:
2P1YW.jpg

Also Maki:
thumb_stares-motherfuckerly-8628143.png

That look Sayaka gives Nameless Friend #1, at the start, when she says she can't wrap her head around what Sayaka is saying.

I genuinely thought she was going to tell her they couldn't be friends, anymore.

I think I just connected that...uh, Writer Friend's script being based on everyone and having Nanami's character be the empty-vessel is a meta-wink for the audience, yeah, but, in-universe, probably stemming from the fact that she can't figure out what Nanami's personality is like. So she just went with "I guess she won't have one!" and took off from there.

What kind of school play is that?
One for a school that can't afford the rights to anything by Harold Pinter, I would guess.

But, yeah, I'd have written a parody of the faculty. (As in the teachers. Not the 1998 classic The Faculty.)

Too late, Nanami, I already hate you.
This absolutely slew me.

10 points.

are those two girls in the background hate-texting each other or what
Canonically, yes. They have their own spin-off, at the end of every volume of the manga. And this is their "ridiculous fight" arc.

Okay, they don't, but they should.

I wish that Nanami would tutor me for my math test tomorrow... >.< Not optimistic about having to retake that class again.

Episode 10:

This episode adapted three chapters (17, 18, and 19) from the manga (which makes sense, as Chapter 17 is pretty short), but the scene that opened Chapter 17 (Nanami dreaming about her last moment with her sister) was rearranged as an after-credits scene, leaving the episode on a bit of a darker note. I think that this helps demonstrate that when she mentioned having this dream with her classmates at the beginning of the episode, it wasn't just a one-time dream, but a recurring nightmare.
The scene with Yuu giving Nanami the script was moved to the outdoor walkway, instead of in the hallway like it was in the manga. I guess this gives Yuu's blowoff line "it's just hot" a bit more credence.
The part where Nanami opens her desk drawer, grabs the picture, and tells herself that she'll become her sister, was originally tied to the part where she's reading over the script originally, but it also makes sense for it to follow the nightmare as it does in the episode.
There was just a tiny change in the scene at Miyako and Riko-sensei's house, when Riko's talking to Ichigaya about the summer camp. In the manga, Miyako reaches for the TV remote after Riko pushes her off, but in the anime, Miyako checks her own phone. Just wanted to note that for posterity's sake :p (Always fun to see more of my favorite couple, regardless!)
During the commercial break is where the interlude with Sayaka's old senpai/girlfriend happened in the manga, but as I mentioned before, they ended up using that to open Episode 8. Thinking about that, they did some serious planning on how long each episode would have to be, and how best they could include all the chapters and relevant interludes without cutting anything down. So far, the only thing they've skipped is a small interlude in Volume 3 that I felt didn't really add anything anyway and I didn't miss.
They added a close-up of Yuu's 3DS screen during the scene where Yuu's tending the shop at the beginning of summer vacation. And later, when Yuu and Natsuki are out shopping, for some reason they omitted the fact that Natsuki was wearing a hat. I guess either it's because she's missing her hat in the very next scene, or hats were too hard to animate :p Oh well, she looks better without the hat, anyway lol
Aside from starting the scene at the cafe with them already sitting down at the table instead of walking in the door and saying hi to Miyako, the biggest change there was we got to see Miyako overhearing Yuu complain about Nanami, which got a smile out of her, clearly deducing Nanami's feelings for Yuu and Yuu's subconscious reciprocation. There was one other change there: Yuu didn't get even a patch note message on her phone in the manga -- just checked it in hopes of seeing mail.
The last scene omitted Nanami the bit in the manga, telling her parents she was going to study to make sure all her homework was finished before camp, but they added more details in the story that Nanami was telling Yuu over the phone.
Overall, only very minor changes for the adaptation, which is pretty much par for the course here. This still remains the most faithful adaptation I've ever seen :D

I love the plotline of debating over time on what wish someone should write for Tanabata. It's always got great potential to see the internal struggles of a character's mind, good for character development.
That look Maki had when Sayaka was determined to play Nanami's lover in the play -- I thought it was really funny. It seems to be part knowing glance, and part slight confusion about Sayaka's role in the Nanami/Yuu love triangle. @Franconator's comment was exactly right xD "Oh lord, this can't be good..."
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell what Yuu was playing on her 3DS? It looked like some kind of Pokémon-esque game, but I can't quite figure it out lol
It's great to see Natsuki again. She's always so cute... But am I the only one who thought it was a little strange that she goes running in khakis? That seems awfully uncomfortable to me.
Always fun for me to see Rei low-key shipping Yuu and Nanami. She's so supportive! And not just her, but at the cafe, even Miyako and Natsuki noticed hints of Yuu and Nanami's non-relationship. And then Yuu was excited to finally see a message on her phone, but was disappointed that it was just update notes, and not from Nanami.
It was interesting to see our first real scene with Nanami and her family at home. It seems that the path she's on to emulate her sister was self-imposed, and not forced onto her by her parents. And even though she says in the following moment that it's something she wants to do, she clearly feels that her family and peers were the ones who wanted this for her. It doesn't make sense to just look at it from the outside, but it's actually very true to life. My brother does this sort of thing too -- trying to do something because he thinks the rest of us, as his family, would want him to, even though we've never thought anything of the sort.
Another thing: Nanami was struggling to hold back on messaging Yuu over the break, but Yuu actually wished that she could talk to her. This continues the whole deal about Yuu actually wanting this relationship too, but a part of her feels that she shouldn't be the one to lead, partly because then Nanami would probably freak out because Yuu would be clearly developing feelings, which is the last thing Nanami wants... Complications galore. And when Nanami does finally call Yuu, Yuu is clearly enjoying it, spooning a pillow with a huge-ass grin on her face. It's been said a million times, but Yuu CLEARLY is in love.

I think I just connected that...uh, Writer Friend's script being based on everyone and having Nanami's character be the empty-vessel is a meta-wink for the audience, yeah, but, in-universe, probably stemming from the fact that she can't figure out what Nanami's personality is like. So she just went with "I guess she won't have one!" and took off from there.
Yeah, I think that's exactly what it is. And it worked out pretty well too! Everybody's like "Holy shit, I didn't know we had a psychic attending school here..."

Is that anime good?
I'm very biased, as it's one of my favorite manga, but my answer is absolutely yes :) If you're curious about the anime but you've never read the manga, don't worry, because the anime is basically a 1:1 adaptation. They're pretty much exactly the same. And after this season of the anime finishes, you can probably grab Volume 5 of the manga and continue the story exactly where the anime left off if you want to see what happens next.

Back