Bloom Into You

"Intersection," hm?
1997, kids. We were living in Spiceworld--and we didn't even know it. And then we did know it, and we didn't care.

Anyway. Onto things from when you were alive:

Sayaka is the best grill
25807124.jpg

https://www.opentable.com/r/sayaka-hibachi-sushi-and-bar-plano-2?crossSellLink=true
Well, I'll be damned.

I was all set to fight for Yuu, but...it's got a five-star rating.

Touko is an idiot.
Also this.

That said, another very good episode--and, as usual, a very good adaptation of the source material.

Episode 8:
This time they did the same thing they did for Episode 3, but at the same time, it's the exact opposite: they swapped Chapters 13 and 14, and left the end of Chapter 14 as the cap of the episode, which helped to bookend the stories. It was also a big surprise for me that they used an interlude from Volume 4 to open the episode! Which was great for me, as I'd been looking forward to seeing that happen :D

Also, the bits with the hydrangea colors were completely new for the episode, as was the extended scene with Rei and Hiro in the car. They also added dialogue with Yuu explaining why she brought the towel, helping to tie that into the first half of the episode, and further linking the two chapters into one cohesive story.
I feel that the hydrangea scenes were implied to be a symbol of all three of them (Nanami, Sayaka, and Yuu) meshing together better, and also bringing Yuu and Sayaka into sync with both the baton-pass, and both of their feelings of wanting to help Nanami.

xj9H7ta.png
The bit with Nanami starting to get a whiff of Yuu's subconsciously-growing affection was a bit of a heart-stopper.

xySdeyz.png
And I loooove Yuu starting to reach out for Nanami's hand, before she pulls it away at the last second. Yuu was initiating the contact, not Nanami, which I feel is very significant. Ugh, I just want these two together, without Nanami's "love is a binding curse" deal >.<
Another great episode. Only 5 left to go... With the season starting to round off, I can't help but wonder what exactly they're doing for the last episode of the season, and if there will be a Season 2 (PLEASE, LET THERE BE A SECOND SEASON TT.TT)
Next episode looks particularly spicy, and possibly a little controversial. I can't wait :D

Last edited:
Episode 8:

2Nv9W.jpg

"MY DUDE, MY BRO, I TOTALLY LEFT MY UMBRELLA AT HOME, AIN'T THIS SOME SHIT, HUH? LOOK HOW WILD THE RAIN IS OUT THERE, FELLOW BROTHER OF MINE, MY GUY, MY MAN. WOULD YOU BE OPPOSED TO A LITTLE UMBRELLA-SHARING ON THE WAY HOME, FAM, SINCE WE'RE ALONG THE SAME WAY AND EVERYTHING? NOT THAT I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, MY BUD, MY SHINING STAR, BUT I'M REALLY SERIOUS, THAT RAIN AIN'T GONNA LET UP ANY TIME SOON, WE REALLY GOTS NO CHOICE HERE BUT TO SHARE AND STUFF, NO HOMO."

is it bad that I wouldn't mind if these two dudebros became a thing

2Nv9V.jpg

What I wouldn't give to be that random schmoe in the background, being privy to all sorts of juicy deets and friendly catch-ups between ex-girlfriends. Sort of. Senpai is mean, she totally deserved that verbal smackdown Sayaka let loose on her. It's 2018, woman, get with the times!

Also, I'll be honest. My brother and I were way too distracted by the Y'donald's sign and how to pronounce it to give this episode the attention it deserved. But stuff was great this week: Yuu and Sayaka bonding moments, pretty flowers (although I'm still not sure why it's so important the other characters need to know what colors their crushes like), Yuu and Nanami compromising by holding the umbrella together, the heart-stopping moment they shared at the vending machine...

Is it weird I don't really want Nanami to end up with anyone? I mean, if I had to choose, I'd go with Yuu, since Sayaka wants to hold Nanami to an ideal, while Yuu is content with Nanami the way she is... but Nanami's started to become manipulative ever since she got closer with Yuu. It's clear she feeds off the attention and pampering Yuu gives her, and it's understandable, since she's so perfect that nobody else seems to think she needs those things too. But Yuu's just learning her way around this love thing, so if her affection's the only thing Nanami wants from her, then I can't imagine it'd lead to anything good in the end. Nanami did say she wanted to keep Yuu exactly the way she was, so unless something changes in their dynamic, I can't enjoy their moments together without feeling uneasy at the same time.

I'm getting the sense that Touko is turned off by people who fall in love with her? So, her ideal relationship is loving someone who doesn't love her back? That's odd, and bad news for Yuu who appears to actually be opening up to her.

More scared than turned-off, maybe. Since her idea of love is a shackle that keeps people the way they are, I think she's more comfortable with someone who wouldn't force her to change her dead sister facade. It's clear Nanami doesn't like herself as much as she likes the persona her dead sister projects. So it's less liking someone who doesn't love her back, and more liking someone who'd allow her to keep putting on the act even after they find out about her subpar real self.

Episode 8:

"I'm sorry you fell for me, are you a "ordinary" girl now or do you still like girls? I feel like it's my fault if you still like girls." Oh fuck right off. No one needs you, get. You get no closure or forgiveness you jerk. I really en joyed the look on that girls face when Saeki said "Sayonara" That's right, bye.

I don't even like Saeki but, that girl from her other school can go eat SO MANY DICKS.

They were so cute fighting over the umbrella XD

I'm so confused by Nanami's reaction to Yuu saying that she made her happy. It seemed like she was kind of mad? Does she want the girl to love her or not? I honestly can't tell anymore.

They still had some cute moments together though, can't wait to finally see exactly here this is going.

We've got quite a love triangle going on now.

Episode 8:

2Nv9W.jpg

"MY DUDE, MY BRO, I TOTALLY LEFT MY UMBRELLA AT HOME, AIN'T THIS SOME SHIT, HUH? LOOK HOW WILD THE RAIN IS OUT THERE, FELLOW BROTHER OF MINE, MY GUY, MY MAN. WOULD YOU BE OPPOSED TO A LITTLE UMBRELLA-SHARING ON THE WAY HOME, FAM, SINCE WE'RE ALONG THE SAME WAY AND EVERYTHING? NOT THAT I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, MY BUD, MY SHINING STAR, BUT I'M REALLY SERIOUS, THAT RAIN AIN'T GONNA LET UP ANY TIME SOON, WE REALLY GOTS NO CHOICE HERE BUT TO SHARE AND STUFF, NO HOMO."

Yes please, throw some Yaoi right into the middle of my Yuri please, k thx.

I'm so confused by Nanami's reaction to Yuu saying that she made her happy. It seemed like she was kind of mad? Does she want the girl to love her or not? I honestly can't tell anymore.
She doesn't. That's the whole point of the relationship. The moment Yuu will start having actual romantic feelings is the moment Nanami plans to dump her.

Oh, good--I'm glad everyone had things to say. That makes it easier for me to jump in without spoiling anything inadvertently.

I know you all did that for my benefit, so thank you.
I feel that the hydrangea scenes were implied to be a symbol of all three of them (Nanami, Sayaka, and Yuu) meshing together better
Nanami asks Sayaka: blue and yellow flowers
Sayaka asks Yuu: yellow and pink flowers
Yuu asks Nanami: blue and pink flowers

Nanami = blue
Sayaka = yellow
Yuu = pink

I have nothing further to add to that and make no grand implication in any direction. But as soon as you mentioned it, I remembered the colors were different, each time, and went back to take a look.
The bit with Nanami starting to get a whiff of Yuu's subconsciously-growing affection was a bit of a heart-stopper.
I know!

I can't help but wonder what exactly they're doing for the last episode of the season
I'm sticking with my "theater camp" prediction, which is a key area of the story for Yuu and her thoughts on her own feelings.

I can't enjoy their moments together without feeling uneasy at the same time.
@Starletka nailed it with her "that's the point." I know it was directly in response to the "does she want love or not"questions, but I think that applies just as much to the point about feeling mighty uncomfortable about Yuu x Nanami.

It's the ambiguity thread that is laced throughout our love triangle: they each feel something, but is it this thing or that thing? (I'll bring back the question about why Yuu says she doesn't feel love: is it a real emptiness or is it what's left from burying early girl-girl preferences?)

Yes.

I mean, no, it's not. I just don't want anyone to acknowledge Maki is in the story. Because I hate him and he sucks.

she totally deserved that verbal smackdown Sayaka let loose on her. It's 2018, woman, get with the times!
"I'm sorry you fell for me, are you a "ordinary" girl now or do you still like girls? I feel like it's my fault if you still like girls." Oh fuck right off.
Interesting.

Given how hurt Sayaka was--and still is--by her senpai just tossing her aside, the outburst was certainly warranted. That...let's generously call it a breakup...that breakup was not handled well, even by breakups-are-never-handled-well standards. And good for her for getting some amount of closure.
For the sake of continuity, I will bring up my point from last week about the potential ambiguity with Sayaka that would--if at all close to true--throw this whole conversation, from her senpai's comments to Sayaka's anger, into a slightly different light: that Sayaka is not just mad about what happened and how this is just a further twist of that same dismissive knife from middle school, but also defensive that senpai is asking her a question (accidentally) that cuts to the core of her self-unsureness.

Again, potentially--and likely irrelevant to her feelings for Nanami. Because, as I said last week, the why doesn't actually matter: if she likes her, she likes her. I only bring it up because of the ambiguity theme that (fittingly) may or may not exist in each of our love triangle members.

Nanami asks Sayaka: blue and yellow flowers
Sayaka asks Yuu: yellow and pink flowers
Yuu asks Nanami: blue and pink flowers

Nanami = blue
Sayaka = yellow
Yuu = pink

I have nothing further to add to that and make no grand implication in any direction. But as soon as you mentioned it, I remembered the colors were different, each time, and went back to take a look.
:O I did not EVEN notice that! That's amazing.

I'm sticking with my "theater camp" prediction, which is a key area of the story for Yuu and her thoughts on her own feelings.
You may be right, though this makes me sad that we won't be able to see the performance of the play at this rate, or even the final draft :S

Huuurgh~! That was the sound of me throwing up in my mouth. This is all overly sweetened that it becomes sickly. Can the characters talk about nothing but love and attraction? The Bechdel test must be blaring at every moment in this anime, if someone gave it a klaxon and an algorithm to detect its bias. I get that it's a romance, but good romance shows almost never put the romance front and centre and try to force it as much as this show does. Nodame Cantible focuses on the characters and their passions, Kimi no Todoke focuses on self-worth and friendship, you get the drift. A show that is entirely absorbed in the romance often fails to build interesting characters.

First episode confession after the characters have had no time to build a relationship? Hamfisted to high heaven. It turns out Nanami's just as fickle as all the guys that have confessed to her. Five minutes after telling Yuu that she turned them down because they didn't know her, she's professing her love to a girl she doesn't know.

Last edited:
The Bechdel test must be blaring at every moment in this anime, if someone gave it a klaxon and an algorithm to detect its bias.

The Bechedel Test.
The Bechdel test is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women must be named is sometimes added.

If you're gonna whine, at least know what you're talking about.

The Bechedel Test.
The Bechdel test is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women must be named is sometimes added.

If you're gonna whine, at least know what you're talking about.

Why are you spelling it weird? And that's all the characters do... a group of girls (2 or more) just talk about who they're attracted to the whole episode.

Why are you spelling it weird? And that's all the characters do... a group of girls (2 or more) just talk about who they're attracted to the whole episode.
The Bechedel test specifies TALKING ABOUT GUYS.

Also, you're whining about romance talk IN A ROMANCE ANIME. That's like getting mad at Michael Bay for blowing shit up.

The Bechedel test specifies TALKING ABOUT GUYS.

Also, you're whining about romance talk IN A ROMANCE ANIME. That's like getting mad at Michael Bay for blowing shit up.

I'm not criticizing romance for featuring romance, just that it seems to be the only focus to the detriment of everything else here. I mentioned a few other romances that are done well because the romance felt natural and built up through the characters. This show tells me nothing about these characters and expects me to believe they're suddenly in love.

I'm not criticizing romance for featuring romance, just that it seems to be the only focus to the detriment of everything else here. I mentioned a few other romances that are done well because the romance felt natural and built up through the characters. This show tells me nothing about these characters and expects me to believe they're suddenly in love.
Keep watching the show, Captain Critical. It's a lot more complicated than that.

I think it's because this show does things the other way around: instead of giving you fleshed-out characters and having them develop a romance, you're instead presented with the romance right away, from which the characters can grow as individuals. It's a different way of telling a romance story, because you'd expect two individual characters to develop themselves first before becoming more well-rounded as a couple. But in Bloom into You, you have the couple exploring themselves separately as soon as they get together. They're all n00bs at this love thing, so it makes sense that they'd all use the relationship experience as another way of finding themselves.

When we first see Yuu, she has no idea what love is and doesn't show much interest in finding out more. Now, she's someone who's warming up to the idea of it as her relationship with Nanami develops. Then, you have Nanami, who we first see as this seemingly-perfect person who has her life together, until her relationship with Yuu brings out the other sides of her personality. The side characters are pretty much the same way: the more we see what Sayaka thinks of Nanami, the more her best friend personality gets fleshed-out. Then, there's Maki, who hasn't had a lot of development yet, although his motives already present an interesting angle to the story.

There's a lot of stuff going on here, and if all the characters talk about nothing but love, then that's only because exploring this feeling can also be a valid way of developing as a person.

When we first see Yuu, she has no idea what love is and doesn't show much interest in finding out more. Now, she's someone who's warming up to the idea of it as her relationship with Nanami develops. Then, you have Nanami, who we first see as this seemingly-perfect person who has her life together, until her relationship with Yuu brings out the other sides of her personality.

There's a lot of stuff going on here, and if all the characters talk about nothing but love, then that's only because exploring this feeling can also be a valid way of developing as a person.

I'd also like to add on to that: I think that a large part of the reason Nanami confessed to her so quickly out of the blue is because she wants to love somebody, but is at the same time afraid of being loved, herself. So when she sees Yuu and learns that she's never been able to feel that kind of love for somebody, Nanami thinks that she just found her ideal love interest: someone who can tolerate her advances but never expects anything from her. And conversely, Yuu really doesn't feel anything for Nanami (EDIT: so far as she consciously believes, anyway). They're not "suddenly in love" -- Nanami's really just taking advantage of Yuu, and Yuu knows it, but just doesn't care enough to stop her.

The themes of the show seem to be deeper than just telling a romance story; rather, the way I see the show, it's an observation of different forms of love, and their positives and negatives. And of course, these characters grow deeper and more well-rounded as the story goes on.

So, @LadyJam, I don't think you're wrong. I'm just saying why you're right :)

Last edited:
Back