Bloom Into You

Better than expected.
At first I was like:
Look missy, that's as good an offer as you're gonna get.

Then she explained why she was going to say "no" even though she liked the guy... she couldn't convince herself to be in love with him. Can't really fault her for that.

Don't care one way or the other about the rest.

Ep2.
Senpaichan and kouhaichan, bewildered as they are, realize they do have special feelings for each other. What comes next?
Who is blooming into who? I want become like youuuuu♫ Forgot which song this lyric comes from.

03:

This is a slow burn anime, but boy does it pass by too quickly. The atmosphere is still perfect.

Touko taking a moment to stare at the bottle and take a drink, was too much diabetus for me and done in a really subtle fashion. INDIRECT KISSES, ALWAYS GOOD.

I just love the visual communication of the show, and all these little details really add up to me. Touko's layers are also being peeled back here and the episode does a fine job in developing Touko's character showing she's really not so perfect. The drama and dialogue just feels like it really flows so naturally, rather than being too much of a soap opera or going down any trashy routes.

Last edited:
Ep 3

The pacing and lack of THIS IS YURI!! BEHOLD THE GIRL ON GURL ACTION!!! Is making this show so perfect. The mellow atmopatmos, walking pace that is the storyline, the development of each character.....PERFECT!!!

I especially love the way the story give some hints at to what may come later on. How the father in a rush with that may gave me a heart attack if that were true during the dinner, or the older sister constantly saying if she your girlfriend. This is like a hint that it may or may not happen but you don't know because the development leaves so much the question. it's like you want to root for her and you want them to get together however you're accepting if nothing ever happens at the very end.

But for once I'd love to see these two get together and actually have a open relationship that everyone knows about. You don't normally see a high school show where two girls realize they love each other and come out as in a full on relationship to the school and families and date openly. That would be an amazing turn of events and something I'd love to see taken head on. Something you just don't see .

Episode 3.
Was it just me, or was her buddy playing the pronoun game hard over that nameless senpai? I don't recall her saying he or she during that discussion. Makes me wonder...

Anyway, nice to see a deconstruction of that ludicrously perfect student council type. It's one giant persona, and she only feels safe letting it down around Yuu. That's good stuff right there.

Also, her sister totally gets it.

Was it just me, or was her buddy playing the pronoun game hard over that nameless senpai? I don't recall her saying he or she during that discussion. Makes me wonder...
I missed that. Will have to go back and check.

Anyway, nice to see a deconstruction of that ludicrously perfect student council type. It's one giant persona, and she only feels safe letting it down around Yuu. That's good stuff right there.

EEspecially when she gets up and sees how many people there really are and finally sees how difficult it is and gets why it's hard for her and can relate.

Also, her sister totally gets it.

I'm telling you, her sister knows what's up and is going to be all like "I told you so. No big deal. As long as you are both happy."

I want a real open relationship between these two to happen.

"Did you bring your boyfriend?" "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Daddy would get a heart attack if you brought over a girl." ect.

Ahhhh.....well then.
I can see the mom reacting like that. It's normal. That dad, I laughed. It's what I'd expect.

As for the siater, she was poking for the hell of it and I think she wouldnt care. I really didn't see anything weird with that scene.

Episode 3:

A delightful and nuanced episode. The story is improving, and making more sense, asking questions that I'd wondered about: "Why does Touko like Yuu?" The leads are showing more layers.

Episode 3:

The funky flashbomb projector from the opening song has now made its appearance. What a cool thing, I want one of those.

This student council election sure is boring stuff. Where's all the trash talk, the name-calling, the mud-slinging, the... you know, the drama? Get this rational sense and achievement lists outta my politics, you're totally ruining the spectacle! Speaking of the elections, I loved the calming down moment outside the school. Was that Touko's mom/sister in her flashback, or her older self? Either way, it was pretty nice seeing the two girls get another genuine moment like this. Touko's been in control this whole time so far, so it was neat seeing them both on equal ground now.

I'm still betting that freshman guy on the student council gets a crush on Yuu later on.

They mixed it up a little from the manga, but in a way that worked SO well, especially for the way the episode ended.
I'd been DYING to see the scene where Yuu gets the projector, and the scene where her sister walks into her room and teases her about it. SO precious.
This episode did not disappoint! When the first episode covered only the first chapter, I'd been wondering how slowly they'd take the series as far as episodes go. Episodes 2 and 3 each covered two chapters, and at no point did they feel rushed at all from the pace of the manga. One of the best adaptations I've seen! This is exactly what I hoped for when I first read the manga and was dreaming of an anime version.

There's a reason this is (in an unsettled battle for) my favorite yuri manga. I'm glad people are enjoying the adaptation.

I'm less glad they're taking all the good observations, but...swings and roundabouts, right?
Something this version of the story has...well, has either made more apparent to me or has chosen to focus on more than the manga (whichever is the case) is Yuu's thoughtfulness regarding the situation with Nanami. She comes across very much as someone who can't quite match up her feelings with her thoughts/self-perceptions, which I think makes her a very magnetic character. Which, though I certainly like her a great deal, I guess I hadn't realized (or perhaps noticed I'd realized), when reading the comic.

I'm still not 100% on the choice to jump into first-person POV, at times, but the two instances of it were certainly effective, this week: Yuu's first look at the crowd, and Nanmi's adorable nervously waiting outside the bookstore (everything dealing with the, uh, star ball was great).

And--just because this was mentioned above:
That dad, I laughed. It's what I'd expect.
It's such an...odd moment, to me. Like, the timing of the beat itself, I mean. We just swing around to him, and he says his line with a pleasant little smile on his face. It stands out from the rest of the scene, and I'm not sure if it's meant to stand out as much as it does. (Or did to me, at least.) Because I'm torn about whether the dad's line was in a similarly teasing vein to the sister's "is she your giiiiiirlfriend?" or was meant as a much more dramatic...external difficulty she might have regarding her feelings about not understanding love (as in she's definitely into girls, but her family has--innocently or otherwise--caused her to numb any romantic feelings before they take root).

If it's the former, I just feel like that beat isn't natural-sounding enough to pull off the joke, and if it's the latter...well, this story has already done a lot to show it doesn't exist in a yuri bubble of yuriness, making this feel (to me) an unnecessarily pointed way to let us know this isn't another frivolous girl-girl romance/"romance."

Not that it can't be both, of course, but I still think the cut over to the dad talking is odd, regardless. He's entirely detached from the scene except for that moment--as though he only exists there to say that line. Which, whether it's teasing or a serious beat, feels very unnatural, to me. (It might well be how conversations go in real life, I admit, but real life doesn't often translate well, 1:1, onto TV.)

Episode 3:
In the previous episode, Nanami was being unfair towards Yuu with her passive aggressive pursue of her. So it's kind of well earned that Yuu would act coldly towards her in this episode.
Or so I was thinking during the beginning of the episode, but after seeing the scene where Yuu drags Nanami outside, I thought that Nanami's behavior is simply her struggling to do things she have not done before and coming off as awkward as a result, in this case she is trying to figure out how to handle romance. Although she often puts on a brave face, deep down she is scared and she tries to hide that part of her away from everyone. Keeping up such a facade is tiring and Yuu is a opportunity to release the stress that has been building up inside of her.

When I read the first volume of the manga I had thought Nanami to be my favorite character, but experiencing the first volume again in motion has made me realize that Nanami, while coming off as kind, is actually unintentionally mean in a way. I find Yuu a bit more interesting now as well, she is a kind person but she also has a lot more depth to her character than just that. I didn't like the voice they chose for her at first but now its grown on me.

Back