BLAME! Movie

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by ZetsubouKaiji, May 19, 2017.

1. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

2. Taek

Taek Well-Known Member

Posted by Taek on May 19, 2017
    Also gonna check this out today, let's see if such a thing as a good Nihei adaptation can exist

3. ZetsubouKaiji

I've watched the first ten minutes of the movie. It throws you straight into the action. Luckily the action is looks great and the designs are pretty cool. A heavy action movie like this is the best use for CG animation.

Gens and Taek like this.
  4. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on May 19, 2017
    I'm actually kind of hype for this, hope this pans out well.

5. ZetsubouKaiji

I've watched about half the movie now and I'm quite enjoying. The plot and characters are pretty boilerplate, but the world is interesting and the movie has great atmosphere. You definitely feel like you're watching a rotting world in decline. The world has a lot of little unique details to it that make flesh out the world so it doesn't feel like another generic scifi dystopia.

Nicknames and Taek like this.
  6. ZetsubouKaiji

Just finished this. It's a good action sci-fi movie to watch on an idle afternoon. It's not the kind of movie that you're going to think about much once the credits role.

As I said before the plot is boilerplate sci-fi and the characters aren't particularly memorable either. The story is standard sci-fi dystopia stuff and it reminded me a bit of a cross between the future scenes in the Terminator franchise and the real world in the Matrix trilogy. It's all about a desperate group of survivors meeting up with a mysterious stranger and then going on a search for a MacGuffin that will allow them to reclaim the world for humanity. It's executed well enough, but it's a plot that's going to be familiar to just about everyone that watches the film. The world of the film is interesting enough and has enough little details to it that it won't feel completely generic, but the same can't be said for the plot.

I don't have much to say about the characters. They exist and they all fulfill the exact roles you'd expect. They don't suck. but they're not going to be anyone's favorite characters and I doubt they'll go on many loved character lists.

If you're going to remember anything about this movie then it's going to be the art direction and action, which do have a lot of personality. The movie probably could have used a bit more action. The movie started to sag a bit around the middle and I think one more action set piece would have made things a bit more punchy. That being said the action is well done and the CG is actually looks pretty decent with a movie budget behind it.

The art direction is what stands out most about the movie. The character designs are solid and they show a decent range of emotion for a CG animation. However, the art direction shines the brightest when it comes to the design of the world and the robots. The robots are appropriately creepy and inhuman looking, the fluid CG adds an uncanny valley effect to their movement, which is a bit unsettling. The design of the world as a crumbling dystopia generates a lot of atmosphere. The other design that really stood out for me was Cido's design. I liked her evolution throughout the film, but her initial appearance as a terminator head was quite cool looking. It definitely made it hard to tell if she was trustworthy or not.

The music isn't bad, but it's all very generic and I doubt anyone is going to be looking forward to getting their hands on this soundtrack. It gets the job done in plain Jane fashion.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It was a good way to spend an hour and forty minutes. 6 out of 10

7. Jakounezumi

Jakounezumi Member

Me likey, shows/movies like these are kind of hard to find.