Black Clover

Discussion in 'Currently Airing Anime' started by chii, Aug 31, 2017.

1. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on Aug 31, 2017
  2. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Sep 1, 2017
    i doubt this will be a good shounen, but it might be interesting if the main characters had a strong rivalry relationship. but i still expect it to be mediocre and forgettable.

YaoiMaster, mmeagan and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  3. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

I think your outlook might be a little too rose-y. It's Studio Pierrot doing an action shounen, it's almost certainly going to suck balls and look like ass.

Zed likes this.
  4. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Sep 1, 2017
    for some reason i thought that it was A1-pictures doing it... not that they're that good anyway..

nvm you're right, we're up against another show to enjoy mocking :c

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  5. Chamality

Chamality Member

I enjoyed the manga a lot I'm hoping for the anime to be as good

6. SmolistPotato

SmolistPotato Member

Studio Pierrot has done some good animation for a number of my fave anime, so I'm looking forward to this. The promotion episode that came out really grabbed my attention. I heard the manga is good, but I don't wanna spoil the anime for myself.

7. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

This seems like the sort of series that has basically every modern shounen cliché ever, apparently even including harem elements.
    Well, maybe it'll be dumb fun at least. But I'm certainly not rushing to pick it up.

Not entirely sure how to feel about Pierrot. Not a terrible studio, but they got both Bleach and Naruto, and they refused to just chill on the release schedule with both.
    Basically, it's the studio that practically single-handedly turned the concept of "filler" into a slur.
    Maybe they'll wise up and not turn this into yet another perpetual weekly series that will be forced to continue no matter how much filler must be added, but one can't be quite certain.
    I just remember sighing in relief when it was originally announced that Bones got Hero Academia.

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Posted by Fargo on Sep 19, 2017
    I'm hoping Pierrot takes note from how other studios have been approaching Shonen Jump adaptations. Doing so in seasons is the more effective way to produce a show; audiences have proven they're willing to wait for later seasons if the source material's great and handled well the first time. One Piece should be the only exception at this point and that's because it was grandfathered in.

Black Clover is dumb fun, though a very by the books shonen. No spoilers, but I can safely say you'll have seen just about everything it's done before.
    One interesting thing that makes it stand out is its blistering pace. The manga doesn't slow down at all and is constantly hopping from one adventure to the next, maybe a breather chapter here or there. There's currently 125 chapters out and its in the middle of its eighth arc.
    To draw a comparison, chapter 125 of Naruto (you'll notice lots of parallels between the two series) was heading towards the climax of the Chunin Exams, its second arc (third if you want to separate Prologue and Land of Waves).

Generally speaking, I'd say having too fast a pace is a significant flaw. However, it's also part of the appeal I've found in reading Black Clover every week. You're pretty much always guaranteed to see a flashy fight every week and seeing the characters grow and learn (though there isn't much character development, doesn't help the cast keeps inflating with side characters). Later in life, I could see it being listed as a gateway shonen series.

There are definitely worse series to kill time with. But I'd still approach this with lowered expectations.

banhmimi, ResaHime, Shizuka97 and 3 others like this.
  9. BrainBlow

That reminds me. The author's previous manga, Hungry Joker, was noted by many for having a breakneck pace as well. Seems to be the author's signature thing, and I guess that's why Black Clover manages to get by so well despite being so by the book: It doesn't linger too long on any one spot in the story that would let you stew on it. So Black Clover seems like the sort of series that will basically jump the shark just by slowing down.
    Well, his previous series seems to have been more original and inspired, but it unfortunately was published in the worst time period for new series in Jump: 2012.
    I remember the magazine being so jampacked with old series that new ones simply got butchered. Something would have to be an instant megasuccess within 2 chapters, or it'd be doomed to cancellation seemingly no matter how good, as older series gobbled up almost all the questionnaire votes.
    Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Souma, and Haikyuu were the only series from that year to really survive, and they had to make an instant splash to do it. No slow-building success possible.

Dreadful time, during which My Hero Academia's Horikoshi had his second series, Barrage, last no more than 16 chapters.
    I honestly think it was that time period which inspired Jump's decision a few years later to suddenly begin ending tons of older series, freeing up space for new blood to actually have a chance at competing.

ResaHime, RascaI, Shizuka97 and 2 others like this.
  10. Scruffy8642

Scruffy8642 Active Member

Well, the breakneck pace is also because Tabata doesn't bother with any sort of development or actual story, everything just happens, then it moves on. By the same token, My Hero Academia also has a similar pacing to BC, also having 8 arcs at around 120 chapters, yet it does a much much better job of it, so maybe it doesn't come down to that. But if you think you've seen cringy, generic shounen, you ain't seen nothing yet.

That said, the world and premise here is pretty cool, just it's not executed well. Still, there is definitely some fun to be had here if you can shut your brain off.

11. Yakoz

Yakoz Well-Known Member

Posted by Yakoz on Sep 22, 2017
    Black Clover is going to piss a lot of people off because they'd think it's too similar to this and that, when in fact I think it's the exact idea of WSJ and the mangaka himself: creating a project where there are headlines, characters, and characteristics of the most successful XXI century shounen manga. You can see sparks of Fairy Tail, One Piece, Boku no Hero, Naruto (mostly) and more.
    Why watch it then?
    By reading the manga I can tell you it's not original at all, as already told, but it looks like brainless fun with a good amount of action that would greatly benefit from an anime adaptation. Identifying similarities with other manga was more entertaining than I could've imagined, I'll definitely watch this.
    If you expect something different, put your mind at ease already and enjoy the show for what it is.

12. BrainBlow

Just found this, though it was drawn a while ago. MHA's Kohei Horikoshi's take on a volume cover of Black Clover.
    I love stuff like this made by colleagues.
    [​IMG]

13. SmolistPotato

SmolistPotato Member

I totally agree. If you can't just enjoy the anime, and you're just going to complain, why watch it??? It's the worst when people watch the whole series and complain every episode lol. Maybe the "unoriginal" stuff just happens to be really good.

14. BrainBlow

Be warned, that's practically the main pastime on this forum. And commenting on a show that's real bad is a perfectly legitimate thing, as the other way around is also true: Why bother coming back week after week to sing the same praises of a good show?

ZetsubouKaiji, Thrawn and Zed like this.
  15. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

I was excited for this because I thought it was a martial arts/delinquent fight thing about people getting into fights to rise up the hierarchy but instead it's something completely and utterly different. Could have sworn the one I was thinking of had Clover or Black in the title.

16. Sarahja17

Sarahja17 New Member

I hops it will come out in English dubbed

17. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

I wouldn't mind the dub being hilariously bad, but not so bad it's bad.

18. renorxukuth

renorxukuth Well-Known Member

Episode 1
    The animation reminds me of Naruto, and some other later titles like Twin Star Exorcists. The MC is super annoying, and the supporting cast is a bit boring. That last until about the end of the episode when Mr No Magic gets the super awesome demon sword I guess. We'll see. Also Mr Chain magic is aggressively sadist and talks out his evil plans. Guess he's new to the profession.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  19. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Oct 3, 2017
    Ep 1:
    for something Pierrot are doing, surprisingly, the animation is pretty decent... that's the only positive thing i can say about this episode... 4 minutes into the episode, and i already despise the main character with my everything, HE CAN"T SAY A SINGLE LINE WITHOUT YELLING YOU JERKKKK.
    if i were to describe him, he is just a combination of Naruto and Eren Jaegar with far lower IQ.

the evil guy has to talk like a creep and call himself the bad guy, otherwise we won't know he is, and won't realize we have to hate him from the get go.
    this show is probably the only thing i regret getting from the lottery...

renorxukuth likes this.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  20. FriendlyDemon

FriendlyDemon Well-Known Member

Episode 1
    I guess I'll be the one enjoying this show! :D I am a sucker for shounen action anime so I'm already hooked after this episode.
    But I have to admit one thing:
    Asta is one annoying brat! All that yelling!