Beastars

How did you get the blood off, Haru?
Juno coming off way too strong there. And becoming a one dimensional character in the process, the "Mikasa", if you will. Soon she's just be shouting Legosi! Legosi! and that'll be her sole "personality". Oh, wait. She's kind of doing that already. And that will ultimately be the reason why I will hate her. Not because she's "bad", but because there's nothing else there.
No way is Louis dead. I don't buy it for a second. They may be holding him prisoner or something, but he ain't dead.
It's all good and lovely, but Legosi and Haru can't be together. Emotionally, sure. Physically? No way in hell. Like, seriously, look at the shot of them standing side by side. And I'm still not 100% convinced he actually loves her and isn't just misinterpreting his instincts and carnal desires. But that's what makes their relationship interesting and dynamic.
So, uh, did we forget about the killing? I hope we get back to it in the next season, judging by the ending.

Overall, this was a surprisingly great show. There were some things that I didn't really care for, like the high school setting, the cliché bullies, or the slice of life angle, that made me worry that I was going to get bored easily at first, but luckily it got better as the show progressed and the depth of the characters really makes up for it. I really loved the animation, too. And the opening. So a nice 9/10 from me. See you 2nd season.

In case no one read the review I gave this one a 9/10 as well, seems we're all in agreement on this one

In short this anime proves that the medium can surpass itself in terms of CGI art and has some of the most complex-presented emotions in characters that I've seen. So yeah, it's great. Only deductible point I can see is uncomfortable furry sex shit.

I binged this all today and left no time to comment on any of the episodes, so it all coming out now.

Ok I am not a fan of cgi, so the first couple of seconds when I saw this, I was like ah... what a shame... But honestly, you get used to it so fast and it becomes such a beauty! The CGI is so good! The story GREAT. The characters FANTASTIC.

A lil theory for myself -I have not read the manga and I do not want spoilers thankyouverymuch-
I think Louis probs become the mafia boss or something. I just feel like thats gonna be such a Louis thing to do, so that is gonna be interesting!

I wonder what happened to the guy that killed Tem. It was probably the guy we were the eyes off at the end. Is it the tiger dude? I don't feel like it would be for some reason. I kinda want it to be someone else idk. The tiger still got a possible redemption arc I feel (maybe not arc, but a possibility of redemption at least) so I don't want him to be a killahh. I also see how well he interracts with the other members in the drama club so it would be weird that he would suddenly eat one of them. Then again, some instincts are difficult to control at one point...
Very interested to see who the killer is. We know it's a tall boii

Lemme also just say THE FAKKIN PANDA IS JUST YES.
The doggo is also precious. pat, pat
(Ps. I am bad at remembering names, sowwy)

The previous episode... Damn that was such a ride. Probably my favorite one so far. Just so much happening!

AAAAND I also must mention Legasi... Fakkin love all about that wolf. I love how he is so gentle, but the beast within sometimes just creeps out. Especially in the previous episode, when he let it take over. That was proper mad

See you in 2nd season?
Bet yo ass you will.

Final thoughts:
Even though I haven't read the manga, I am so glad I got to watch the anime. What's there not to like, its an older version of Zootopia that handles its themes with a beautiful grace. And the CGI only adds to the experience. I was really enjoying how Legosi and Haru's relationship was developing as well. Seeing how Legosi is struggling with himself and even changing himself felt so inspiring.

So seeing how the final episode played out, it seems one of Legosi's friends is probably the killer. It'll be interesting seeing that play out in the 2nd season. Panda-sensei was definitely one of the best parts of the series. Louis does kind of make me think of Griffith a bit from Berserk, but I still think the characters are different. Though I am wondering what happened to Louis towards the end of season one.

Overall, a pretty memorable experience. 4.5/5!

Just when you think they've forgotten all about Tem, they show you his ID card at the halfway point of the episode. Don't worry, homeboy, I haven't forgotten about you. He got one of the most creative murder scenes in anime after all, how do you forget someone like that?

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to like this, so I consider this one of the nicest surprises I've had this year. The world and lore are so rich and so well thought of, that I wanted to get lost in the universe some more, just so I could do a little exploring. There are no weak spots in terms of characters, as they were all there for a reason, even if you could tell they really tried to make Juno unlikable in that last episode. On the other hand, I think I've developed a sick crush on Louis-senpai. Then, there's Legosi and Haru, the most awkward, cute, and sweet couple this side of the animal kingdom. I've never wanted so hard for a couple to get together until I met them. Hell, even that chicken who's so obsessed about her eggs got her own moment here.

Very good stuff. I can't wait for Season Two.

4/5

ILemme also just say THE FAKKIN PANDA IS JUST YES.

He's got the most John Woo background music to ever John Woo, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of him in the next season.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to like this, so I consider this one of the nicest surprises I've had this year. The world and lore are so rich and so well thought of, that I wanted to get lost in the universe some more, just so I could do a little exploring. There are no weak spots in terms of characters, as they were all there for a reason, even if you could tell they really tried to make Juno unlikable in that last episode.

Yeah, she was going full out yandere there. That said, I'm feeling pretty confident with the excellent pedigree of this show that it is going to add layers and depth to her character and make her as great as the main trio of Legosi, Haru, and Louis. I wasn't so hot on Louis at first, but they really turned that around for me.

Hold up...

Is this... good?

I fully expected this to be a CGI angst fest, and I'm like... I should've read through this thread first, haha, I'm super enjoying this, wtf?

Thoughts so far.

Episode 1
Ugh, I hate CGI, but man, I love that the cost-effectiveness of using it allows studios to take on riskier projects like this. So far, so good. Everything is pretty cute, the world is interesting and novel, and the CGI makes good use of the medium by still allowing itself to be stylish (Tem closing the door in the beginning, and using the blue outlines to show his movement. Fun stuff).
Episode 2:
Cant tell if Deerick (I cant remember his name so have a bad pun) is going to be the sadistic sociopathic rich popular kid trope, or if he's going to be the jerky but secretly has a heart of gold trope. Time will tell. Also, YOOOOO THAT RABBIT TRIED GETTING HIM TO LAY THAT PIPE, HAHAHA WTF! This show is going to play with puberty and "predatory behavior" in fun ways, I imagine. I'm legitimately interested in where this goes, they're doing a great job of getting me hooked, episodes are ending waaaaay before I expect them to, which means it's fluid and I'm fucking swimming.

Episode 3:
Ok, ok, so... C.S. Rouis is poised to be either the underdog genius who pushes through, or the tortured artist who turns on himself and everyone else when things don't go his way. I'm assuming that foot pain and inferiority complex may turn him into the baaaaaad guy (duh). We'll see.
Episode 4:
Ok, ok, ok, so fuck, this show is awesome, I'm totally invested in a cast of characters I cannot get an accurate read on.

Finished it already.

All in all, better than I had feared. They seemed to keep the herb/carn divide and the seedy underbelly balanced in the limelight along side the sweet romance and coming of age story. I was worried Rouis and MC were going to have a social face off and it would turn into one of those 90-era-flavored "does the quiet broody kid best the rich, popular kid and win the girl" type shows, and I was worried they would do something like kill off Haru quickly and turn it into a hard boiled noir (which would've been fine too, but I'm in a romance mood currently.)

It had its flaws, the biggest one for me was the deflation of tension between MC and Bill, and obviously never really capitalizing on the death of Tem (although, I assume these points are long-term plotpoints that will be touched upon in season 2, especially since the last 15 seconds of the last episode let us know the killer was someone we (MC) know.

Definitely enjoyed it and will be back for season 2.

Also glad that any comparison to Zootopia was only comedic, and it definitely wasn't as "furry propaganda" as I had feared. Worth the watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episodes 1-4
I don't know if I like this or not. There are genuine twists and menace, but then the premise is so silly.
I keep expecting Bugs Bunny to walk through a scene in drag.
I have to respect the animators, they chose to switch between different kinds of animation and they do so fluidly.
This may be the best intro of the year.

I'm living for all the scandalized Twitter reactions to Beastars. It's got people freaking out over the furry stuff, but watch those same people nod their heads slowly and go, "well, I guess it's alright, not too bad, huh."

Also, let's bring this back:

33qf2.jpg

People keep posting the clip online and I lose my shit every time I see it pop up on my feed.

C.S. Rouis

Amazing. I think this is your best work yet.

Back