Batgirl (directed by Joss Whedon)

ZetsubouKaiji

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/

AKA Warner brothers finally says "fuck it, just get the guy that directed the Avengers."

A Batgirl movie has a lot of potential and Wheedon does have a good touch with female characters so this could be interesting. I just get a bit annoyed at how all of his characters tend to be so quippy. It's okay to have the one smartass character, but when everyone is a smartass they tend to blend together.

Wait, what? How many more movies can DC announce before even getting the DCEU properly started? Didn't even know about Dwayne Johnson doing Black Adam (a spin-off of yet another movie we haven't seen anything about so far).

That said, the idea of a Batgirl movie done by Whedon sounds not that bad actually. Like I wrote in the Batman thread part of the fun of Stephanie Brown's Batgirl comic series was the witty dialogue and mentor/student relationship between Barb and Steph, stuff that felt straight out of Buffy sometimes
also there was this one issue where Steph and Supergirl fought Klarion the Witch Boy and his army of brought-to-life movie vampires on campus
I'm not expecting Steph (much Iess Cass) to be this movie's Batgirl, it will most likely be Barbara. Since Batman has been around for 20 years in the DCEU, Jason's death already happened in it and JK Simmons is playing Gordon as an old man, Batgirl would work best as a flashback movie. It could explore what led to Batfleck becoming the broken and tired vigilante seen in BvS (since Jason's and Barb's crimefighting career didn't end well for them)

Otherwise they'd have to make her older. DC won't hesitate to refer to The Killing Joke if that happens (fan service ahoy), in which case it would have to be her New 52 comeback story where she was able to walk again three years or so after the incident.

Or this will be another desperate try to copy Marvel and ride on Spider-Man: Homecoming's coattails, who knows.

My hope against all reason is a Cass movie about her just martial artsing her way through Gotham City, akin to that old xkcd strip. That, or bring back OG Bat-Girl Bette Kane and have her aunt Kathy Kane be Batwoman, and shoot it in the spirit of fifties Batman, that is to say, be there as beards for Batman and Robin. Sadly, Hollywoo never recognises true genius when confronted with it.

Cass is Asian, so that's probably a no-go, unless they whitewash her (maybe I shouldn't give the suits any bright ideas). Bette Kane is Bat-Girl, not Batgirl, and has been Flamebird for ages. Stephanie certainly seems right out, given that she is far too a lighthearted character with the shortest tenure of the big three Batgirls, but her quips would certainly appeal to Whedon. She would fit in well the Arrowverse, though.

No, it will probably be Barbara Gordon. Given the grim n' gritty nature of the dreary-coloured Snyderverse, I suspect that it will be Gail Simone's New 52 run that will act as "source material", and not the Batgirl of Burnside version, or any older version (please someone make an animated '66 Batgirl movie). I think the Wonder Woman film was going to be primarily based on the New 52 origin story, so it makes some kind of sense to me.

Given how most solo superhero live-action properties seem to be there partially to justify team-ups later on, I do wonder if there might be a Birds of Prey title in the works.

My hope against all reason is a Cass movie about her just martial artsing her way through Gotham City, akin to that old xkcd strip. That, or bring back OG Bat-Girl Bette Kane and have her aunt Kathy Kane be Batwoman, and shoot it in the spirit of fifties Batman, that is to say, be there as beards for Batman and Robin. Sadly, Hollywoo never recognises true genius when confronted with it.

Cass is Asian, so that's probably a no-go, unless they whitewash her (maybe I shouldn't give the suits any bright ideas). Bette Kane is Bat-Girl, not Batgirl, and has been Flamebird for ages. Stephanie certainly seems right out, given that she is far too a lighthearted character with the shortest tenure of the big three Batgirls, but her quips would certainly appeal to Whedon. She would fit in well the Arrowverse, though.

No, it will probably be Barbara Gordon. Given the grim n' gritty nature of the dreary-coloured Snyderverse, I suspect that it will be Gail Simone's New 52 run that will act as "source material", and not the Batgirl of Burnside version, or any older version (please someone make an animated '66 Batgirl movie). I think the Wonder Woman film was going to be primarily based on the New 52 origin story, so it makes some kind of sense to me.

Given how most solo superhero live-action properties seem to be there partially to justify team-ups later on, I do wonder if there might be a Birds of Prey title in the works.

A Cass movie would be a dream come true but it won't happen, not in a million years. I mean, Barbara Gordon is most likely the only Batgirl most people know and DC won't take risks with that when they hire Whedon in the hopes of him doing his Marvel thing and making some dough for them.

Betty and Kathy are also characters I don't think we'll be seeing in a DC movie anytime soon (if they did one about the Wonder Woman/Batwoman New 52 crossover, that would be fucking awesomesauce). I think your BoP presumption might be right, since they'll be doing Gotham City Sirens and Poison Ivy should be in it. Since the movies take some clues from New 52, a BoP movie would feature her in the team line-up.

Otherwise they'd have to make her older. DC won't hesitate to refer to The Killing Joke if that happens (fan service ahoy), in which case it would have to be her New 52 comeback story where she was able to walk again three years or so after the incident.

I just had a horrific vision of the Suicide Squad Joker shoot Babs.

I just had a horrific vision of the Suicide Squad Joker shoot Babs.

I don't even wanna think about that, let alone Leto doing any iconic Joker scenes.

Remember the Birds of Prey TV series? It was awful but damn, if it hadn't one of the best Hamill Joker laughs during TKJ flashback scene.

Well, if something is consistent on the DCMU is that they want female leads. WW, Sirens and now Batgirl; whereas Marvel has........squat.

Now, asuming it will be Babs (because who are we kidding), who would you cast for it?

I don't even wanna think about that, let alone Leto doing any iconic Joker scenes.

Remember the Birds of Prey TV series? It was awful but damn, if it hadn't one of the best Hamill Joker laughs during TKJ flashback scene.

He's not wearing aviators and a Hawaii shirt! Disrespecting muh canon!!!

Well, if something is consistent on the DCMU is that they want female leads. WW, Sirens and now Batgirl; whereas Marvel has........squat.
Well, Captain Marvel is going to have her own solo movie the year after Wondy's solo flick comes out. And besides, I thought Sony was trying to beat voth of them to the punch by releasing some Silver Sable movie or whatnot?

Now, asuming it will be Babs (because who are we kidding), who would you cast for it?
I'm trying to think of any redheaded actresses, but I can only recall Karen Gillan and Ellie Kemper. Neither really fit. Let's just genderbend the role and have Benedict Cumberbatch as the lead instead. He's way more bankable than either of them.

I saw this rumour on the net, which, if true, is really not the casting choice that I would have expected. Race-bending is nothing new in DC live action titles (Eartha Kitt and Halle Berry as Catwoman spring to mind), but I would have expected a bigger name in any case.

Last edited:
What about.....Summer Glau (or however her name is spelled). Or.....Eliza Dushku (however her name is spelled). I'm just sayin Whedon might play it close to his work.

What about.....Summer Glau (or however her name is spelled). Or.....Eliza Dushku (however her name is spelled). I'm just sayin Whedon might play it close to his work.

I don't think either of them are capable of carrying their own movie.

I don't have any particular actress in mind, but I think a relative new comer would be good for the role. Everyone knows the big DC characters so having bigger actors in those roles is fine. However, unless you're a comics fan, then you're likely not all that familiar with Batgirl, so I think it's better to put a relative unknown in the part so the focus is more on the character. Plus, if the movie turns out well, then there's also the chance that it'll be a star making turn for someone.

^ Now this made me think about if Batgirl is meant to make an appearance in the upcoming Sirens movie, which would turn it into Gotham Girls.

Might as well throw Zatanna in the mix, so that DC has their own sexy Dr. Strange.

Something that came up to me yesterday. While watching the JL trailer, we can see Bruce sitting in front of a monitor tat shows us a green face. Just wondering if Oracle will make an appearance in the movie, and maybe they already have an actress for it.

Back