Banana Fish

Episode 18:

tfw I wasn't really listening to anything that was happening here because my brain was singing by itself again

2MZjB.jpg

2MZjC.jpg

Weird subs are weird. I thought he was quoting something, since the dialogue sounded so weird, but he switched right back to normal talk afterwards so I'm not sure.

It happened, it finally did, even if I was really hoping it wouldn't. They've gone and used Eiji as a hostage, and as expected, Ash is going right along with it. No doubt he's got something else planned, since I'm pretty sure the show isn't going to end on such a depressing note.

Still, though.

@Franconator Blame Amazon JP for the shitty subs, they never know what they're doing lol.

You know what isn't shitty? Anime Blanca. This is now an anime Blanca appreciation post.
m0KKozX.png

XpKdtkg.png

He's so good at his job he's assassinated me and he's not even real. What a fucking pro.

In all seriousness though holy fuck, Mister Blanca.

And so with ep. 19,
I really like that Eiji and Sing are doing what they can to help Ash. Its really sad what's happening to Ash, he's become so depressed that he's developed an eating disorder. So can't wait to see Golzine die, cause he's had it coming. Its interesting to see Sing be in disagreement with Lung since he respected him at one point. Blanca doesn't regret hurting Ash which kind of annoys me. But I see hope in the upcoming episode for Ash, so its all good!

19: Hooooooo boy this was a hell of an episode huh
Yes, I still love Yut Lung even with all this shit he's doing. I don't like him coming between Ash and Eiji either but he has his reasons, dammit!

The scene with Blanca in the bath is fucking great and honestly I feel like he and Yut Lung did sleep together at some point during Blanca's contract buuuut there's no evidence for that lol.

In all seriousness I really do feel sorry for Ash. He's... extremely fucked up. His reaction to Golzine telling him he was being adopted is painful... Also I feel sorry for Blanca because you know he wants to help Ash but he knows he can't go up against Golzine. I suppose that's partially why he agreed to help Yut Lung in the end: he felt guilty that he couldn't protect Ash and didn't want Yut Lung to become yet another scenario of someone suffering because he couldn't do anything to help them.

PS Shirtless Blanca is rude and uncalled for
p3dFtJ7.png

PPS Please appreciate this extremely cute Yut Lung
RzzOjNe.png

Episode 19:

There's a different vibe to this week's episode, and I blame the soundtrack for this. Not that it's a bad thing, really. Things felt less rushed and more melancholic, which should only set things up for the upcoming final(?) showdown. Meanwhile, Yut does all he can to please his fanbase, Eiji finally wants in on the action, and Sing goes around and makes a bigger mess of things. Sing's not bad for a short upstart. Shorter would be proud.

PPS Please appreciate this extremely cute Yut Lung

Ah, but we both know these were the really only important Yut scenes in this episode:

2NbJ7.jpg

2NbJ8.jpg

Ah, but we both know these were the really only important Yut scenes in this episode:
"Important" and "best" are different things, m8. However, the
bath scene
is definitely the most important and the best.

EYqLlyM.png

I like that he even thought of this tactic. "I need that woman to go away. Let's interrupt them by acting like Blanca's my lover." What I also like is that Blanca didn't even really question it and was just annoyed that Yut Lung got in the way of his flirting, lol.

I imagine Yut Lung flirting with Blanca would go something like this:
Yut Lung: So you say you like all women
Blanca: Yes?
Yut Lung: Is that... only women?
Blanca: I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you trying to seduce me? You're going to have to try harder than that.
Yut Lung: Oh fuck off

WAM: BF edition: From what I can figure out, Ash's name "Aslan" just means "lion" and none of this "yeah it means like dawn in Hebrew or something" bullshit. Stop lying to me about name etymology to make the characters seem more *~*mysterious*~*, dammit!

At least Yut Lung's name has the proper meaning that they say it does... Moon Dragon is a cool fucking name, ngl.

Tfw the author was going for the "day/night + wild animal" name motives with both of them to further highlight that they're similar yet different

WAM: BF edition: From what I can figure out, Ash's name "Aslan" just means "lion" and none of this "yeah it means like dawn in Hebrew or something" bullshit. Stop lying to me about name etymology to make the characters seem more *~*mysterious*~*, dammit!

Aslan's also the Narnia lion-slash-Jesus allegory figure, so now every time I see Ash, I imagine he's the Jesus figure in Banana Fish.

Anime Blanca has further confirmed my theory that he
has the biggest dick in the entire series.

I mean, look at him. His gun isn't the only massive thing in his pants.

Vol. 13 of the manga was a great and poignant quote. Sing Soo "He ain't gonna run out of places to hide, though. These guys make Donald Trump look like Archie Bunker." The Japanese had him pegged way back in 1987! Akimi Yoshida nailed it way back then. I hope they use that in the anima. LOL!

Spoilers....

Can I just say, I know it's for storytelling purposes, but the fact that Ash's dad enabled a pedophile and allowed his 7 year old son to get repeatedly raped really fucks with my mind. I mean, if I was in Ash's position, my scumbag of a father would definitely be at the top of my hit list. Oh you bet I'd fucking murder that guy right away. If I were the parent and my child was getting raped by a trusted member of the community, I would most definitely fight tooth and nail for my child's honor. If I was that dad, an avid gun user, I would take matters in to my own hands and kill the guy, or find some way to prove his guilt. At the very least I would send my child away before he stole my gun and murdered his rapist. The dude literally pimped out his 7 year old.

I also hate that the guys, Ibe, Max, Eiji, and Shorter Wong didn't bat an eyelid at the father's crimes. They just accept that he didn't do anything to protect his prepubescent, 7 year old child. If I was one of them, I'd at least cuss the fool out, if not beat him up.

"Don't you die, dumb father" *cries*

Boi! Don't you realize this man let a dude continuously RAPE YO ASS??

@smalldog1999 To be fair Max wasn't really having it, at least. And Eiji and Ibe wouldn't be speaking up against it much because, stereotypically, Japanese people do not get involved in someone else's business -- especially not like that. Later-story Eiji definitely would say something, though, but he wasn't strong enough at that point. I think from Ash's POV he was just done and didn't have the energy to be going around killing what little remained of his family, even though his dad's a piece of shit. He knew arguing wasn't going to do anything, and he had bigger issues to be dealing with. If he spent time being angry at every single person who fucked him over (whether literally or metaphorically) in his life he'd be completely and utterly worn out. And he's pretty worn out as it is with trying to get revenge on Golzine and his pals. It's also meant to separate him from Yut Lung, who is trying to get revenge on everyone who's fucked him over.

I'm not trying to justify it, since I do agree with you. His dad's an asshole. Sadly it's realistic in that parents A) don't believe their children in cases like that and B) have no idea how to react to it and tend to react in ways they shouldn't. Again, you're right, I'm just trying to explain it how I interpreted it.

The only adults in BF who aren't complete and utter shitheads are
Max (he's not perfect, but he's a good dude who's been through a lot), Ibe, Jessica, those two police officers Charlie and Jenkins (who are just trying to do their jobs), Blanca, Griffin (hopefully lol), Shorter's sister and probably Jennifer.
Everyone else is awful, which is the point of the story I guess lol. Not that some of the younger characters are any better, mind you.

Ep 20: Hooooooooo boy lads
-You could tell that Blanca regrets coming back to the States, lol. Every scene he looked like he'd much rather be back in the Caribbean flirting with women and getting a tan. I don't blame him really.
-Another thing I don't think I've mentioned in regards to the differences between Ash and Yut Lung is that Ash also had a Blanca: someone who trained him to fight and who protected him. Yut Lung's skills were only utilised if they were beneficial to his brothers: the poison stuff, the acupuncture or whatever it is and him being able to move around silently are all things that could be used against his enemies and not skills that would help protect him in the same way that Ash's were.
-I feel like the sewer scenes were shorter in the anime than in the manga but it might just be because they're more fast-pasted. I dunno.
-Blanca asking Yut Lung if he's okay after he was almost strangled, stabbed and shot in the head... I dunno man, what do you think?

Also I've been waiting for this episode for weeks so that I can make this. I hate my brain.
dFR5Yb9.png
hIcsfjG.jpg

Episode 20:

Nothing much for me to say here, except those two lackeys Ash assigned to Eiji are very loyal guys. Also thought Sing's second-hand was going to turn into an Arthur there. Would've absolutely hated for that to happen.

EP. 20

Great! And yes it is abridged from the manga which gives more background. But Mappa does good job at hitting the major points of the plot.

Ep. 20,
the hesitation Eiji had with shooting sort of reminds me of how Tenma struggled with shooting someone in Monster. I love that type of slow growth with a character.

Episode 21
In which Ash and the gang goes up against trained commandos that faked their own deaths. It goes better than you'd think, but not as good as they hoped. Pew pew pew.

The weirdest part was Ash bragging about almost getting raped on the street. We get it, you're a fucking asshole hot piece of ass ready to downplay others being sexually harassed, even if it was meant as lighthearted banter. Stay classy, Banana Fish. I expected Max to be groped in the toilet as well, but at least he gained some insights into why catcalling culture is bad. Always something.

What I don't get is how anyone could think of Froggy having batrachian features. Max and Ash suck at seeing non-mammal features in humans.

Jessica returns, since this has been a ginormous sausage fest, but she mostly just gives Ash lip and runs away so that the traitorous ones' plans are foiled. At least she tried.

Back