Azur Lane

Everybody is a loli or a kitsune (or Esdeath). That's not a god damn army, those are stupid kids. Also not a single man, which is pretty disturbing.

I just don't understand why you have to bring sexism into this. That's the selling point of the whole genre, the old formula of girls fighting evil in skimpy suits, whether that is in a magical girl costume or military uniforms, mixed with various objects turning into girls, whether they are cans of sodas or warships. No one ever said it would be an accurate historic fiction and all you have to do is change the channel if it's not your cup of tea. Well, even if you didn't like it, I see the original material has over 1 million downloads on just the google play store.

While some are saying that it is a Kancolle ripoff, in a way it is, if you are really paying attention, unlike Kancolle it is not sweeping Japanese WWII history under the rug. This show is the Eagle Union (USA) and Royal Navy (British) VS. The Sakura Empire (Japan) and Iron Blood (Germany). With the Axis powers being the bad guys. This is the exact opposite of what Kancolle did, by having the Alien ships appear as though they are the U.S fleet.
So far it is loosely following the actual history of WWII starting with the attack on Pearl Harbor. And I do mean lossely. With the ships sustaining damage similar to their real life counterparts. It looks like they are pulling from multiple battles to make one battle for the show. Also, It looks like they are pulling from both the Atlantic and Pacific Navel Theaters. I just hope they actually sink the ships in the oder that they were sunk in WWII.

Their point in comparing Azur Lane to Kancolle would be because the original material, the mobile game, was literally made to steal fans from Kancolle. Their game mechanics are the same, just with different girls and stories, and just from comparing the anime adaptions of the two, you can see that they both have girls that are based on WWII warships, have actual warship parts on their body with which they fight, and they are fighting against the enemy of humanity that appeared out of nowhere.

Secondly, you are reading too deeply into the connection of the series with WWII. What Kancolle's plot attempted to show was the Western Powers encroaching on Japan and us fighting to remain Japan. This is not 'sweeping WWII history under the rug' in fact, but a representation of how y'all came knocking on our door one day demanding to 'trade' or to be destroyed. In fact, by that time you already did something similar with our neighbor, China, and sold drugs to subdue the resistance, then split the country like a cake among the European powers. If Japan didn't fight back by industrializing and modernizing our army, there was zero doubt that we would have been annexed into a territory or a colony under the US or Russia. It is a pretty prevalent theme throughout Japanese shows, especially older ones.

Saying that Azur Lane's plot is faithful to the actual WWII history is just stupid, you are piecing things together without concrete evidence. It is true that each of the factions represent the respective countries during the WWII time period, but it doesn't merit the comparison to the attack on the Pearl Harbor and other key fights in different theaters of the war. It's also a perspective, not a fact, that Allies were good guys and Axis were bad guys. Atrocities are committed by all parties in times of war and good/evil only serve as a propaganda to antagonize an enemy country over the populace. Just because it is seen that the Axis are on the side of Sirens and the perspective of the story is on the side of the Azur Lane doesn't make this series more historically accurate. It may be that I'm getting too heated up just for something that doesn't really matter, but it frustrates me to no end that there are people who refuse to think for themselves instead of swallowing whatever the government feeds them. America wasn't found on lofty ideals, Lincoln wasn't kind-hearted, Grant was incompetent, Truman had no idea what was going on, etc. etc. Please, education involves more than just remembering the textbook, people.

i dont think Azur Lane or Kantai Collection is the right thing to watch if you want historical WWII facts. i havent watched either, but i am pretty sure this is purely entertainment.

and speaking of WWII, there is a movie coming soon about the Battle of Midway. the movie might not be 100% facts, but still it is about the naval battle that actually took place in 1942. im definitely going to watch it.

I just don't understand why you have to bring sexism into this. That's the selling point of the whole genre, the old formula of girls fighting evil in skimpy suits, whether that is in a magical girl costume or military uniforms, mixed with various objects turning into girls, whether they are cans of sodas or warships. No one ever said it would be an accurate historic fiction and all you have to do is change the channel if it's not your cup of tea. Well, even if you didn't like it, I see the original material has over 1 million downloads on just the google play store.

Their point in comparing Azur Lane to Kancolle would be because the original material, the mobile game, was literally made to steal fans from Kancolle. Their game mechanics are the same, just with different girls and stories, and just from comparing the anime adaptions of the two, you can see that they both have girls that are based on WWII warships, have actual warship parts on their body with which they fight, and they are fighting against the enemy of humanity that appeared out of nowhere.

Secondly, you are reading too deeply into the connection of the series with WWII. What Kancolle's plot attempted to show was the Western Powers encroaching on Japan and us fighting to remain Japan. This is not 'sweeping WWII history under the rug' in fact, but a representation of how y'all came knocking on our door one day demanding to 'trade' or to be destroyed. In fact, by that time you already did something similar with our neighbor, China, and sold drugs to subdue the resistance, then split the country like a cake among the European powers. If Japan didn't fight back by industrializing and modernizing our army, there was zero doubt that we would have been annexed into a territory or a colony under the US or Russia. It is a pretty prevalent theme throughout Japanese shows, especially older ones.

Saying that Azur Lane's plot is faithful to the actual WWII history is just stupid, you are piecing things together without concrete evidence. It is true that each of the factions represent the respective countries during the WWII time period, but it doesn't merit the comparison to the attack on the Pearl Harbor and other key fights in different theaters of the war. It's also a perspective, not a fact, that Allies were good guys and Axis were bad guys. Atrocities are committed by all parties in times of war and good/evil only serve as a propaganda to antagonize an enemy country over the populace. Just because it is seen that the Axis are on the side of Sirens and the perspective of the story is on the side of the Azur Lane doesn't make this series more historically accurate. It may be that I'm getting too heated up just for something that doesn't really matter, but it frustrates me to no end that there are people who refuse to think for themselves instead of swallowing whatever the government feeds them. America wasn't found on lofty ideals, Lincoln wasn't kind-hearted, Grant was incompetent, Truman had no idea what was going on, etc. etc. Please, education involves more than just remembering the textbook, people.

I think that you missed my point completely and read way too much into it. I'm not saying that the show is historically accurate or faithful to history, but that it is borrowing from history for entertainment purposes while not whitewashing the history it is borrowing from (at least so far). And I hope that the show sinks the ships in the order they sank in history.

This is basically what I'm saying, now moving on...

That said I had not heard that analysis of Kancolle being that the aliens being how the Japanese viewed the United States blocking their resources pre WWII. And in that light I will concede that point.

In war there are no true good or bad guys, and there can be truly evil people on all sides. Is that not what this show is saying... That no matter what Era war stays the same. That we fail to learn from our mistakes and we always seem to repeat them.

I'm not looking for historical accuracy with the a show like this, I'm just pointing out the difference between the two shows. I'm not looking for any us VS them mentality. I definitely don't want say what our forefathers did or did not do was right or wrong for the sake of an argument by saying that mine were right and yours were wrong... Because that is definitely wrong. Because both sides were wrong with their actions and I hope that we can both agree on that assessment.

I prefer shows like Strike/Brave Witches, High School Fleet, Girls und Panzer... But it doesn't mean that I don't also get enjoyment from shows like this.

There is one aspect of the show that I do not care for however. The way that they are using a crazy incestuous lesbian as the head bad guy. That is just bad LGBT representation all around. And the fact in a way it represents a Japanese ship just makes it that much worse.

Last edited:
There is one aspect of the show that I do not care for however. The way that they are using a crazy incestuous lesbian as the head bad guy. That is just bad LGBT representation all around. And the fact in a way it represents a Japanese ship just makes it that much worse.

Azur seems to be pushing Carriers as the ''leader'' characters of each faction, though. Since the characters personalities where set from the get-go it might just be an unfortunate coincidence. Historically Kaga and Akagi were very important ships and ''senpai'' to all other Japanese carriers. Taihou could have been said to be the most advanced but did little historically. Germany notably didn't even have an operational carrier during WWII, hardly anybody would know of Graf Zeppelin. All in all honestly, I doubt they're the only ships openly lesbian in Azur Lane, but I don't know much about the game.

I also got the feeling that the whole thing in this series is that the Sakura and Iron Blood are just misguided in the means with a good bit of grey morality but with actually good intentions to some extent, but I don't know that for sure.

Well, after a couple of episodes, I think I like it better than KanColle, but not as much as Arpeggio. Speaking of which, Hornet is I-402.

Not that "better than KanColle" is saying much. I dislike the ridiculous gag boobs (lo Belfast). Enterprise has zero personality (dare I hope for some growth?). On the other hand, Laffey, Unicorn, and Ayanami are adorbs. And Queen Elizabeth is Shalltear XD

I really don't like the animation, sometimes the characters get like distorted faces and that is very disturbing... But the story is quite good

Episode 6

Animating so many characters at once... yeah.
"we're out of budget and time"
Well, the animation suffered a little here, to say the least.

Honestly, this episode's quality was quite a downturn with so many characters showing up. Much of it barely animated or notably off-model.

For the rest, it's mostly a fanservice episode with some build up for the next episode.

eh.

I'm waiting for High School Fleet season 2... Because I can watch that show over and over again and not get tired of it.

2 episodes in so far. Anime Planet has 2 characters tagged as main characters and 12 characters tagged as secondary characters, but I wouldn't have been able to tell by watching which ones are supposed to be the main characters because the anime feels like it is trying to make all of them main characters. Forget about trying to appreciate character development, at this point I'm having trouble keeping track of who everyone is and which faction they are fighting for.

I think the concept for this anime might have had some potential if it didn't try to spread itself too thin, but at least there are cute girls and explosions.

at this point I'm having trouble keeping track of who everyone is and which faction they are fighting for.
I think that's the unfortunate result of it being a mobile game adaptation, and then trying to cram everyone's favourite characters in so nobody gets left out.

But there's a lot of good designs in Azur Lane so I can't really complain.
please step on me Prinz Eugen

Somewhere in this anime was a great story about enemies setting aside their differences to work together toward a common goal.

This his concept started out on a small scale with Javelin and Laffey building a relationship with Ayanami that slowly grew from "I don't want to fight you" to "we are friends now." Then the truce among former enemies grew into an all out alliance between Red Axis and Azur Lane. I thought it had a great story that it was trying to tell.

For a mobile game anime, I was actually impressed by the production quality. The music was excellent, they got a huge cast of voice actors together and a lot of them are experienced veterans, and while there were a few visual hiccups here and there, most of the time I thought it looked great.

Unfortunately, despite all of this I am giving Azur Lane a 5/10. If this anime had been able to achieve all of this with about 90 less characters, I think it would have easily been an 8/10 maybe even a 9. Unfortunately most of the time I felt like I was watching random characters with no idea who they even were. Maybe this anime is only for die hard fans of the mobile game going in already knowing everyone, but for a casual outsider it just didn't work.

Back