Attack on Titan 3rd Season: Part II

And Ymir was shown controlling her transformation at Utgard in S2 and at other points. She transformed back and forth multiple times. Make of that what you will.

Hmmm......HMMMmmmmm.......HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Interesting.z

Something else I forgot to add. When reineart and what's his face were talking about Ymir and the letter, they were saying it as if in past tense.

Where is Ymir? Dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnn

And where the fuck is Annie? Annie are you okay? Are you okay Annie?

At the end of season 1 she encased herself in crystal to avoid interrogation, and they locked her up somewhere underground. As far as we know, she's still there in that crystal (and really if she weren't, I feel like there'd have to be some serious fuckery going on for us to have not been told) (Armin telling Berthold that they were torturing her earlier this season was a bluff to psych him out)

Hmmm......HMMMmmmmm.......HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Interesting.z

Something else I forgot to add. When reineart and what's his face were talking about Ymir and the letter, they were saying it as if in past tense.

Where is Ymir? Dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnn

Annie pls respond

Hrm... only one episode left? I get the feeling this season will end rather abruptly.

I've been waiting for more of the Grisha stuff to play out before posting here again. Overall, I think his story from his perspective is well done, and I think the anime is doing a good job of meshing it together with Eren's perspective. I'm really enjoying this, despite it being one long info-dump. I do think we're going to be missing a piece though, which is disappointing because it was something I was really looking forward to. However, whether that piece surfaces as an OVA or simply weaved into the beginning of Season 4 remains to be seen. I wish this had gotten a full 12, I'm not sure why it was kept to 10.

Also, bringing up something I've mentioned before, about Eren being a bland main character -- Eren is finally coming off as a real main character now. It's interesting to see his reactions to the Attack Titan's memories. And, through seeing things he's showing some competence and importance to the plot. He's not just running around screaming blindly. Although, I do appreciate that "8th grade syndrome" exists in this universe and apparently it's a common enough thing that even royal officials are like, "Ah yeah, he is at that age."

9 (58):
So I think one of my favourite twists in the series is Kruger's first name being Eren. Also, based entirely on dialogue between him and Grisha, my theory is that Kruger's a royal (hence his father joining the revolution) and why he knew Dina. Kruger being a royal would also explain why he didn't just go and take the Founding Titan himself (he wouldn't have been affected by the vow that the royals inside the walls are, but they make it sound as though the person possessing the Founding Titan needs to be separate from a titan who has royal blood. I dunno.)

The 13 year lifespan thing is pretty brutal. For Eren and Mikasa to go to all that effort to save Armin only to essentially doom him... And for Mikasa to learn she's going to lose her family AGAIN... I feel for her.

I remember when this chapter came out and everyone went "OH GOD DAMMIT" at the Attack Titan twist. I don't think anyone had guessed it correctly before, and honestly I find it impressive lol.

Also Kruger mentioning Mikasa and Armin... I want to point out, before anyone brings it up, that this is not the same line Grisha says to Eren before giving him the injection. Kruger's line talks about Grisha fulfilling their mission. Grisha's line to Eren is about how he has to learn how to control his powers.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN, ISAYAMA? WHOSE MEMORIES DID KRUGER SEE? I assume Eren's, but fuck this cryptic shit lol.

FWIW the Ymir flashbacks happening when Historia reads the letter didn't happen in the manga. The letter was when they showed/explained Ymir's backstory in the manga instead of earlier on (which is one of the changes to the anime I didn't really like as it kinda makes a couple of things more obvious, but whatever). I think they also partially did it to remind people about the paths and show Ymir being "reborn" for lack of a better word.

PS Have young Kruger, who's the most important part of this episode.
CnGQKqb.png

Ep 9.

>>Implying that Eren shouting is somehow worthy of referring to as a "phase", and not something he has done constantly since birth.

He said the name of the show! The words he spoke are the same as the ones used to refer to the piece of media in which he plays a part!

All right then, Kruger "remembers" Mikasa and Armin, so pick your poison:

1. Time travel confirmed?
  2. Recursive/inverted memory sharing between wielders of titans?
  3. Both? Expanded upon below.

Option 1 is already set up by the first scene with Eren and Mikasa in episode 1, but option 2 is (slightly) more in line with established lore regarding Eldian/Titan memory.

Option 3: Own theory, but someone else has probably thought of it, too:
Eren eventually gets all titan powers by being Eren and eating all his friends because he's pissed or something, travels back in time (somehow) and gives them to the original Ymir. This gives her the memories of all future wielders of all titans, in turn giving them each other's memories both future and past, somehow (this is a weak link in my theory) causing pre-titan Eren to dream of long-haired future Mikasa.

This is somewhat marred by only two instances of "future" memories having been depicted in the show, but I'm sure it can be hand-waved as the "distant" memories requiring special triggers or being very vague in some way.

Last edited:
Yeah Armin, grab Sasha's chest...

Trip down memory lane... stop wasting time and get in the basement already. And Armin is the one that really should be there.

That chinchy lock looks like it would break if you sneeze on it. But no, we have to use the super special KEY!
The key doesn't fit. It's like Robin Hood Men in Tights all over again...
Levi gets the idea (kicks door in).

Books...
I hope it was worth it.

All right then, Kruger "remembers" Mikasa and Armin, so pick your poison:

1. Time travel confirmed?
  2. Recursive/inverted memory sharing between wielders of titans?
  3. Both? Expanded upon below.

Option 1 is already set up by the first scene with Eren and Mikasa in episode 1, but option 2 is (slightly) more in line with established lore regarding Eldian/Titan memory.

Option 3: Own theory, but someone else has probably thought of it, too:
Eren eventually gets all titan powers by being Eren and eating all his friends because he's pissed or something, travels back in time (somehow) and gives them to the original Ymir. This gives her the memories of all future wielders of all titans, in turn giving them each other's memories both future and past, somehow (this is a weak link in my theory) causing pre-titan Eren to dream of long-haired future Mikasa.

This is somewhat marred by only two instances of "future" memories having been depicted in the show, but I'm sure it can be hand-waved as the "distant" memories requiring special triggers or being very vague in some way.
My theory is that
it's something to do with Eren activating the Founding Titan's powers in some way. How he does it, I have no clue, but they do talk about the Founding Titan being able to send memories back and forth between people.

From the sounds of it, he's talking about our Mikasa and Armin, unless somehow it's another timeline. I don't buy the separate timeline theory, but I kind of buy the timeloop theory. Actual time travel is more out there and it's most likely mental time travel if anything. I dunno.

So, the way I see it, is: Eren activates the true powers of the Coordinate by touching a royal titan or some shit when he's in a crisis. Whoever he's speaking to (I have several theories on that, but that's for another time) is about to inherit Eren's titan or whatever and Eren tells them they need to see it (note: in the manga, the line is directly referring to a 'mission') through.

Alternatively, the line Kruger's saying is being said by Eren in the future and it's being transferred to him via paths, but the memories are someone else's. Not that I'm sure how that'd work, lol.

Ep. 9,
I think the way Eren sees the world has changed a lot, due to the memories he's unlocked with the Attack titan. Even the way he views some of his allies has changed due to those secrets he has learned. It sucks to know that eventually your life will end at a much earlier point than you thought it would. At one point he probably thought dealing with the titans would be the end goal but now its not.

Oh, it's baby Zeke, Erin's big bro apparently.

Only 80 years ago... the whole "made them all forget" thing is necessary with such a short timeline. Had they made it 800 years this would not have been necessary.

Ooh, outsiders have lots of the magic titan serum.

Woa, Mikasa, bed-head much?

Oh... he's the "Owl"... dude, you wrecked your boat...
It would have been nice if they had setup for this (hinted at it) throughout the series, rather than info-dumping it here.

So... Erin just needs to hold Krista's hand to command the titans?...

Last edited:
Final thoughts:
I loved this season of AOT, there's just something resonant about the characters finding the truth among the isolation of their world, sort of what happened to the characters in TPN. Now that the characters aren't kept in the dark, they can make great strides toward change.

Its obvious that Eren won't stand idle now that he knows the truth, so you can expect something big in the next season. This episode felt like the palette cleanser I needed after that horrible adaption of the 7 Seeds anime. I know AOT can be slow, but this season felt like a big payoff, so 5/5 for me!

Last edited:
59 (10):
They're really good at animating backgrounds, lol.

Not much to say about this episode as a standalone other than that I think something important to note, as @Ebonyslayer said above, is that Eren unlocking Grisha's memories is changing him. It's clear in this episode that he's fucked up with trying to sort out his feelings. Poor kiddo, I don't blame him D:.

I have a lot of thoughts about the ED sequence but I'll leave those at: WIT are a bunch of sneaky fuckers.

Definitely my fave season overall (S3P2 anyway), but I'm biased because it animated one of my favourite arcs, lol. I'm really happy with how they pulled it off and I'm excited for the final season next year even if it's done by a different studio.

I just watched the final episode, and as lame as it may sound
I teared up when they reached the ocean.

That was a beautiful episode. I didn't enjoy season 3 as much as the first two even with all the reveals and plot developments, but it easily had the best finale. This show has become something so truly unique and unexpected from when it started six years ago. I can't wait for the next season, but I'm also simultaneously pretty sad it will be ending.

Wonder if I'll have the patience to wait or just spoil myself with the manga.

Wonder if I'll have the patience to wait or just spoil myself with the manga.
The manga will most likely be finished before S4 airs in October 2020, or almost finished, so it's probably a good time if you're considering it. The manga is definitely better when binge-read, however, so it depends.

If one of your issues with the anime is the pacing, the manga's better in that regard. It's not perfect, but it still flows better. That said, S3 condensed a lot of the uprising arc (the political stuff), so you might find that a chore to get through lol.

I personally think people should read the manga if they're enjoying the story, but I know that some people hate Isayama's art style so hey.

The manga will most likely be finished before S4 airs in October 2020, or almost finished, so it's probably a good time if you're considering it. The manga is definitely better when binge-read, however, so it depends.

If one of your issues with the anime is the pacing, the manga's better in that regard. It's not perfect, but it still flows better. That said, S3 condensed a lot of the uprising arc (the political stuff), so you might find that a chore to get through lol.

I personally think people should read the manga if they're enjoying the story, but I know that some people hate Isayama's art style so hey.

I almost dropped this series because of the tedious political arc of part 1. I don't know if I have the patience for that bit of the manga, but I'd be pumped for better pacing at least lol

I almost dropped this series because of the tedious political arc of part 1. I don't know if I have the patience for that bit of the manga, but I'd be pumped for better pacing at least lol
Fair enough lol, most people disliked it. If you can skim-read it or something it's worth it. The important parts were covered in the anime, so there's no reason to subject yourself to it unless you want more Kenny I guess.

Though maybe read the part that takes place in the Reiss chapel.

Episodes 8-10:

Good, good. Glad this season finished decently. There were a lot of reveals - I think almost too many. At times to the point that the story seemed to unravel and trip over itself to explain everything through exposition. We had to go back a lot of times to make sense of the present. Random thoughts:

So, Eren has two Titans' powers, not just one. As someone theorised before, can he hold more than that? His mother got eaten by his stepmother. Yikes. So harsh. His Titan is called the Attack Titan - cool. And generally, Grisha's plot turned out to be more engaging in its own right than I'd thought. The anime looked prettier towards the end too, which is a nice bonus. Adult Eren's design looks weird to me, though. In that shot of the back of his head while he looks up at the sky, I was convinced I was seeing Prince Van from Escaflowne.

It could be that I'm tired from a lot of travelling recently, but the last three episodes left me more exhausted than excited. There was, dare I say it... too much? An avalanche of reveals. And this brings me to AoT's weakness. It sacrifices the characters for the sake of world-building and dramatic moral dilemmas. There's a lot of lore and I get the feeling the mangaka has totally lost himself in his excellent plot twists. The show would be outstanding as an RPG, where discovering the world is basically the whole point. But I will have forgotten Eren and his pals within two weeks. I'll watch S4, but purely to get closure on this very well developed story, not because I actually care what happens to the characters. (Except for Levi. I love Levi. Goddamnit I wish the story would make more use of him.)

Anyway, overall, it was a good season. I now need to find something more gentle and cerebral as a palate cleanser.

Back