Asobi Asobase

This sounds like it's going to be a pulse pounding thrill ride. It could be cute, but chances are it's going to be a dull slog. I don't trust Lerche when it comes to comedy.

Could be worse, it could be about handjobs.

episode 1:

this is basically rage comics: the anime, and about just as funny (read: it's actually super miserable, albeit in a different way than Chio-chan)

ps: Seiji Kishi is a hack, but this time it's not his or Lerche's fault, it's just source material being garbage

another pass...

1:

OP looked like fluffy boring garbo like Sansha Sanyou, but the episode itself was pretty dope and there's already a wealth of screen shots waiting to be taken. Misdirection is the name of the game and it pulls it off pretty well.

>blonde american actually is japanese and can't speak english
>plain girl is actually super fucking rich and comes from some great family
>the glasses girl actually sucks at studying
>the straight laced sensei is actually a degenrate that takes pleasure in licking high school girl piss
It also helps to have post credit scenes that are actually worth watching.

Hinamatsuri might be over but between this and Chio's anime, we've been left in good company.

Ep 1:
The jokes are great on an objective level, but I hate every single one of the dickface-characters, which is ruining the jokes for me.

WTF did I just watch?
WYOaMun.jpg
I initially skipped this one on my first pass of the seasonal list. I thought I wouldn't like it and would be an insta-drop. Was I ever wrong! LOLOLOLOL

Last edited:
Episode 1:

Yeah, this was legit. It's not just a treasure trove of reaction shots. It was a legitimately well made episode with some sharp humor made even better with A+ voice acting and some nice music choices to fit the different tones of each scenes. I was highly impressed. The girls have unique personalities and their dynamic is great so far.

The end of the episode with the pool had me laughing out loud and gagging at the same time. Sensei was so hurt he didn't get to lick piss.

Also, that fuckin' ED is brilliant.

How can someone be so wrong? Cells at work, is the best show of the season! >=/.

Not just that, nothing comes even remotely close to Cells at work right now, at least as far as the first episode is concerned.

Hi my name is turkey and I have a lot to say about this show.

Lerche, making stuff too pretty for human eyes, and all of it pretty damn varied. This feels really unique. I like the comedic timing a lot, I think it's basically perfect which Seiji Kishi proved with Angel Beats and AssClass he could do well, and here it shines through everything about it I don't like.

What I don't like would be all the goofy faces which clash with the artstyle and come about way too often. Also the characters themselves- like @ZetsubouKaiji i like their dynamics, but I do not like them as characters at all right now.

This will probably be a simple surface level comedy but an entertaining one, even if it infuriates me from time to time. I definitely don't prefer gross out humor either so.

Other stuff I like: I like the overreactions a bit even though they give me no real grounding to the anime. It's not over the top in the way I normally prefer but it works and it's made me giggle. Especially
that thumb war scene.

I'd usually try to not compare everything to my favorite anime but since this was made by the same director, studio, both are comedy, and we're buddy watching the other thing, why the fuck not

Seiji Kishi is a hack
Video Game adaptations are inherently a hackjob. Irrelevant but I like the guy tbh even though he's inconsistant.

1:

OP looked like fluffy boring garbo like Sansha Sanyou, but the episode itself was pretty dope and there's already a wealth of screen shots waiting to be taken. Misdirection is the name of the game and it pulls it off pretty well.

>blonde american actually is japanese and can't speak english
>plain girl is actually super fucking rich and comes from some great family
>the glasses girl actually sucks at studying
>the straight laced sensei is actually a degenrate that takes pleasure in licking high school girl piss
It also helps to have post credit scenes that are actually worth watching.

Hinamatsuri might be over but between this and Chio's anime, we've been left in good company.
Ep 1:
The jokes are great on an objective level, but I hate every single one of the dickface-characters, which is ruining the jokes for me.
I agree 100% with both of these analyses. I both like all the subversion humor, it makes my life- and I really hate all of the dickface characters too. I've never felt so split on an anime before.

I like to think Seiji Kishi is decent with comedy at least.
Angel Beats and Assassination Classroom had me laughing and crying more than any other anime, so I'd have to agree with you there. Even here where I kinda hate these characters I can't complain about how the comedy is directed like I could with hinamatsuri, despite the goofy-ass faces which should be used more sparingly. Im starting to expect them every time now, but the jokes themselves are pretty effective in not letting me see whats coming.
I also like how the segments are rather short and it's content just being a straight up comedy. I mean, it's unambitious but it's doing well with the premise that cant really go many places.

so... I guess I sorta like it? I have very mixed feelings on it. It's not my specific kind of humor, but it's just done so damn well I can't really get mad at it.

And that ED... holy shit.

I wasn't planning on watching this show at all, but after seeing so many comments about the ED, I decided to just skip straight to the episode's end and see what all the fuss was about with this ED.

Holy shit, that was something alright.

And just when I'd thought it was over,
those freaking puppets came on screen. Those puppets, plus the sudden switch from metal to classical music, pretty much short circuited my brain. Then I noticed what the narrator was actually SAYING and watched as these cute, elementary school girl puppets straight up ravaged that poor "boy".
Needless to say, I think I might need to give this one a shot now

How can someone be so wrong? Cells at work, is the best show of the season! >=/
Not watching it, is a crime against humanity @Shikiya.
Good thing I'm not of humanity, I'm solely of weebdom.
In my memory of the manga, it wasn't great and I haven't heard much positive reviews about it so far.
But if GenSan says so, what can it hurt to try?

Hi my name is turkey and I have a lot to say about this show.

Lerche, making stuff too pretty for human eyes, and all of it pretty damn varied. This feels really unique. I like the comedic timing a lot, I think it's basically perfect which Seiji Kishi proved with Angel Beats and AssClass he could do well, and here it shines through everything about it I don't like.

What I don't like would be all the goofy faces which clash with the artstyle and come about way too often. Also the characters themselves- like @ZetsubouKaiji i like their dynamics, but I do not like them as characters at all right now.

This will probably be a simple surface level comedy but an entertaining one, even if it infuriates me from time to time. I definitely don't prefer gross out humor either so.

Other stuff I like: I like the overreactions a bit even though they give me no real grounding to the anime. It's not over the top in the way I normally prefer but it works and it's made me giggle. Especially
that thumb war scene.

I'd usually try to not compare everything to my favorite anime but since this was made by the same director, studio, both are comedy, and we're buddy watching the other thing, why the fuck not

Video Game adaptations are inherently a hackjob. Irrelevant but I like the guy tbh even though he's inconsistant.

I agree 100% with both of these analyses. I both like all the subversion humor, it makes my life- and I really hate all of the dickface characters too. I've never felt so split on an anime before.

Angel Beats and Assassination Classroom had me laughing and crying more than any other anime, so I'd have to agree with you there. Even here where I kinda hate these characters I can't complain about how the comedy is directed like I could with hinamatsuri, despite the goofy-ass faces which should be used more sparingly. Im starting to expect them every time now, but the jokes themselves are pretty effective in not letting me see whats coming.
I also like how the segments are rather short and it's content just being a straight up comedy. I mean, it's unambitious but it's doing well with the premise that cant really go many places.

so... I guess I sorta like it? I have very mixed feelings on it. It's not my specific kind of humor, but it's just done so damn well I can't really get mad at it.

And that ED... holy shit.

Since you said, you wanted to be shredded gently, I will honor your request.
tumblr_pbkqz5KIAh1xpa4eoo3_540.png

You fool! That. Is. The. Point!
The conflict between the crappy styles takes it to the next level of climax! (everything is said in Japanese except 'climax')

On the other hand, I should have known you don't like this style of comedy very much.
Sorry, boo, but I thought it's more entertaining than any other comedy this season by far.
I should have been more considerate, pal. Apologies.
tumblr_pbku49BSqp1xpa4eoo2_540.gif

Last edited:
Back