Are you a multitasker when you watch anime?

Do you ever multitask when you watch anime?

• Yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Depends

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

LamiaNymph

If you are a multitasker when it comes to watching anime, what activities do you like doing?
Depending on the series I am watching, I like drawing in my sketchbook or reorganizing my bookshelves and binders while watching less plot heavy shows.
It helps me be productive as well as watch new anime in an enjoyable way.

I figured some people could use some idea’s with the whole pandemic currently going on.

Back when I had the time & emotional energy for it, I would write poetry or write some bits of my novels I was working on at the time, whilst watching anime.

Usually though I will either listen to music, watch something else along with whatever anime I'm watching, (I know, crazy, but that's just how I be :P ) or play a video game, depending.

If I'm sick though, I have difficulty multi-tasking, so if I were going to watch anime, I'd only be able to focus on THAT.

Oh, back when I used to do them, I'd either do crossword puzzles, or I would color while watching anime too. ^_^

Edit: Now that I look at other users answers, I'll admit that I very rarely multi-task while watching subbed, but it depends on my interest level in the anime itself. If it's dubbed, then I don't mind and will multi-task, especially if I've seen it before and/or it's not a favorite episode or movie.

Last edited:
It depends on exactly what I'm watching and if I'm watching it with a friend or not! My multitasking is a bit of a bad habit but it pops up with varying degrees depending. My multitasking generally consists of chatting on discord or web browsing.

Subs take all the brain power usually, so no.

Dubs largely depend on the show, anime is usually pretty good at telling its story through visuals so its hard to do other things and get the story, but there are plenty of exceptions that lead you to be able to multitask. But considering I normally watch subs, I dont run into this issue all that often.

Multitasking 80% of the time. Sometimes I would go for discord, wash dishes, clean up my room, search up references for my research part-time, or literally type my assignments. I leveled that up with quarantine before uni year ended, and I started watching them along with my lectures going :lenny: Well that defo isn't a multitask, that's just ignoring my lecture task.
It helps that I don't usually have to read the subs since I got used to the language by now.

Sometimes, but only for stuff I'm not particularly enjoying and only activities that don't take my attention away from the screen for longer than one second at a time, like grinding on some RPG for example. The whole idea of having a show play as background noise and pretending I actually watched it doesn't really mesh with me.

I don't multitask during episodes because for me it defeats the purpose of watching a show and anime is a visual medium to begin with but I am also generally terrible at multitasking.

That said, some anime episodes can take me hours to finish if my hatred or disinterest is particularly high. My attention span tends to vanish at a record speed so I have to pause every two minutes and do something more enjoyable or else I space out. So I suppose I am multitasking in a way but I don't let a show run in the background while I am doing something else. Used to be a real pain in the ass when I insisted on completing everything I started. I have stopped doing that if it's something I am watching by myself but it does still happen once in a while.

not really. I watch it subbed, but I like to watch the entire thing, the colors going by, contrasts, character interactions, etc. when I'm watching dubbed I'm able to be more focused on doing more than one thing at a time, but I do preferred subbed over dubbed. some cases I am forced to watched dubbed because that's the only way the app/site provided it.

I generally don't multitask when watching anime. Part of this is because alot of the anime I watch is subbed, but even when I watch a dubbed anime, I usually focus only on the anime I'm watching. The only time I might consider multitasking is if it is a dubbed anime that I've seen multiple times and even then, I rarely if ever multitask.

I watch shows subbed first and during this devote my attention to the show. I do however listen to dubs of various shows I've already seen while multitasking. Typically if I'm playing a simulation or city building type game I'll have a dub playing on the second screen. Baccano's dub for example I've listened to multiple times. I don't track these as 'watching' though, as that's not really what I'm doing. It's more like an audiobook. XD

Back