Annoyingly Specific Requests! XD

Franzi

"Feel free to return the favor and come up with annoyingly specific requests for me to try to figure out, I will do my best as well." ~ Warpuppy, 2021.
Alright, then. I'll call your bluff!
So, here's a list of requests that I need in my life right now. Hope you guys can help out and I'll watch and review anything that I manage to get through.
1 - Dudes in distress: Absolute favourite trope! Similar to damsels in distress but obviously with guys instead. I've watched a lot of these but always on the hunt for more. Most notable examples would be Karneval, Nabari no Ou and Natsume's Book of Friends. I think it's the fujoshi/fudanshi side of me but I really do just love it when the guy's in trouble and someone needs to save them. (Doesn't have to be the main character in distress, I accept side characters so long as they have enough screen time)

2 - Something like Wolf Children: I really loved the countryside/farming aspect of Wolf Children where this single mother is just trying to figure everything out on her own (obviously she gets help later, but still). I think the best way to describe this is iyashikei? Like really soothing and satisfying and you're learning alongside them while also experiencing all the other problems going on in their lives. I saw Silver Spoon is a farming anime but I'm not sure if it's going to have the same vibes as it. But who knows! Something with the same vibes as Ascendance of a Bookworm works as well.

3 - Fantasy with female lead: I've recently started getting back into shoujo and female leads and whatnot and finding them really refreshing (for obvious reasons). Would love to hear if there's any good ones that I haven't checked out yet. Extra points for romance, minus points for bland reverse harem (i.e. fully fleshed out characters and not just whatever personality or character trope they're representing).

4 - Ye olde isekai: So, I recently watched El Hazard and it was awful, but I loved it. Was hoping for some recommendations of other classics (male or female lead). I prefer it if the main character isn't op (because I like the suspense) and for there to be minimum fanservice (I know this is a lot to ask but the title does say 'annoyingly specific requests' (and also by fanservice, I specifically mean boobs)).

5 - Soft boi but op: I don't mean completely op (like I said before, I like the suspense). I'm thinking more like with Rurouni Kenshin where he's super strong but just the sweetest person in the world. Doesn't have to be a samurai, can be any kind of fighter. And once again, would appreciate the lack of harem.

Anyway, that's my list. Hope you've all got something to contribute. Also hoping that I've lived up to Warpuppy's level of specificness but time will tell. Thanks in advance xxxx

1-Keiki from Juuni Kokuki, Vinland Saga;
2-Hotarubi no Mori e, Spice and Wolf, Kemono no Souja Erin, Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, Majo no Tabitabi;
3- Nice to meet you, God/ Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä;
4- Not really an isekai, but if you have not seen Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho yet, fucking do it;
5- Seiya from The Hero is Overpowered but Cautious (it is a comedy, yes. But the ending will change your opinion on the whole series), Bungo Stray Dogs (a bloody masterpiece), Vanitas no Carte (not really op, but do check it).

Coincidentally, I just watched Witch Craft Works, which fits into that request. It is the best male-beta, woman-alpha (and of course overpowered) vanilla virgin fantasy. It is not that good (I do not like battle-focused anime), but fits into the request.
I have tried to get into it multiple times and I can never remember the reason why I stopped. Maybe this time will be the charm x

4- Not really an isekai, but if you have not seen Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho yet, fucking do it;
Jesus Christ! Feel like I'm being held at gunpoint. I'll do it, just don't shoot! (I'm gonna read the manga instead though since that's my rule with the long running shounens)
I've seen about half the other recommendations but the ones that were left all seem really good so I'll definitely give them a go x

Jesus Christ! Feel like I'm being held at gunpoint. I'll do it, just don't shoot! (I'm gonna read the manga instead though since that's my rule with the long running shounens)
I've seen about half the other recommendations but the ones that were left all seem really good so I'll definitely give them a go x
Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho is kinda similar to Hunter x Hunter, after all, they share the same original creator. So, if you do not really like Hunter, I do not think you will like Yuu Yuu. But if you do, you will never regret giving it a try. Unfortunately, I never read its manga, but the anime has pretty amazing English voice acting. Cheers.

1 - Nothing comes to my mind at the moment, other than Natsume's Book of Friends, which you already mentioned.
2 - I haven't watched Wolf Children, but if you're looking for relaxing anime with an "outdoorsy" or farming feel to it, than Non Non Biyori I'd highly recommend if you haven't watched it yet. Aria the Animation is super relaxing too, and is mainly set outdoors. (Though there is no farming.) Slice of Life & Iyashikei are a couple of my absolute favorite genre's, so if you want more of those, let me know. :)
3 - I think Yona of the Dawn would fit this? It has Romance, but the male interests aren't bland at all.
4 - Isekai is not really my forte, so I'll have to get back with you on this one. :sweat: I've seen some, but not sure they'd fit this request.
5 - I want to say Vash the Stampede from Trigun, but idk if he'd count since my definition of OP is hard to explain in words. He definitely fits the sweetheart (and goofball) part that's for sure. :frustrat:

Sorry if I wasn't too helpful. I tried. :sweat:

5 - I want to say Vash the Stampede from Trigun, but idk if he'd count since my definition of OP is hard to explain in words. He definitely fits the sweetheart (and goofball) part that's for sure. :frustrat:
Oh my gosh! Yes! I remember seeing a clip once and that does seem like exactly what I'm looking for!
Non Non Biyori looks really cute and is giving me definite chill vibes so I'll be sure to give that a go. Less sure about Aria the Animation but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised x

Oh my gosh! Yes! I remember seeing a clip once and that does seem like exactly what I'm looking for!
Non Non Biyori looks really cute and is giving me definite chill vibes so I'll be sure to give that a go. Less sure about Aria the Animation but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised x
Oh nice! :D
Yeah, it definitely is, as well as really funny lol. Back when a friend recommended the Aria series to me, I was unsure myself at how well I'd like it, but oh man, it has since become an all-time favorite of mine. (I even got my mother to watch it with me, and she loved it haha. XD ) I didn't mind it at all, but the pacing for the first couple episodes of Aria may or may not be slow for you, but that's pretty common in Slice-of-Life/Iyashikei's, since that's the way they're meant to be.

"Feel free to return the favor and come up with annoyingly specific requests for me to try to figure out, I will do my best as well." ~ Warpuppy, 2021.
So, here's a list of requests that I need in my life right now. Hope you guys can help out and I'll watch and review anything that I manage to get through.
1 - Dudes in distress: Absolute favourite trope! Similar to damsels in distress but obviously with guys instead. I've watched a lot of these but always on the hunt for more. Most notable examples would be Karneval, Nabari no Ou and Natsume's Book of Friends. I think it's the fujoshi/fudanshi side of me but I really do just love it when the guy's in trouble and someone needs to save them. (Doesn't have to be the main character in distress, I accept side characters so long as they have enough screen time)

2 - Something like Wolf Children: I really loved the countryside/farming aspect of Wolf Children where this single mother is just trying to figure everything out on her own (obviously she gets help later, but still). I think the best way to describe this is iyashikei? Like really soothing and satisfying and you're learning alongside them while also experiencing all the other problems going on in their lives. I saw Silver Spoon is a farming anime but I'm not sure if it's going to have the same vibes as it. But who knows! Something with the same vibes as Ascendance of a Bookworm works as well.

3 - Fantasy with female lead: I've recently started getting back into shoujo and female leads and whatnot and finding them really refreshing (for obvious reasons). Would love to hear if there's any good ones that I haven't checked out yet. Extra points for romance, minus points for bland reverse harem (i.e. fully fleshed out characters and not just whatever personality or character trope they're representing).

4 - Ye olde isekai: So, I recently watched El Hazard and it was awful, but I loved it. Was hoping for some recommendations of other classics (male or female lead). I prefer it if the main character isn't op (because I like the suspense) and for there to be minimum fanservice (I know this is a lot to ask but the title does say 'annoyingly specific requests' (and also by fanservice, I specifically mean boobs)).

5 - Soft boi but op: I don't mean completely op (like I said before, I like the suspense). I'm thinking more like with Rurouni Kenshin where he's super strong but just the sweetest person in the world. Doesn't have to be a samurai, can be any kind of fighter. And once again, would appreciate the lack of harem.

Anyway, that's my list. Hope you've all got something to contribute. Also hoping that I've lived up to Warpuppy's level of specificness but time will tell. Thanks in advance xxxx

First of all, I'm just going to say that for a thread called "Annoyingly specific requests" a lot of your requests seem to be confusing. A better name for this thread would be "Annoyingly Cryptic Requests." Honestly, what the heck is a soft boi who is OP but not completely OP? I'm also not really sure what you mean by "Ye olde isekai." Despite all that, I promised I would take a shot at this so here it goes.

1 - The anime that immediately comes to mind for this request is Accel World. It is about a chubby kid who regularly gets bullied, has absolutely nothing going for him in his life and is looking for any escape. A girl introduces him to a world where his own very specific talents can shine. I know you watched it already, but you seem to have liked it so I will suggest it again as a potential re-watch.

Goblin Slayer - This one might be a bit of a stretch because the main protagonist is a capable fighter and not exactly in distress, but later in the anime a personal situation comes up that he can't handle on his own and needs to call on the help of the whole adventurer's guild.
Weathering With You - I think this is the best suggestion I can come up with for this one. Its about a boy who has a very bad family living situation at home and flees to Tokyo to escape and is trying to figure out how to get by. He finds a journalism business that will hire him, but it turns out to be a weird cult that just wants to take advantage of him. Eventually he finds an escape in the form of a girl who can change the weather and he works with her to try to create a business of changing the weather to make people happy.

2 - I haven't seen Wolf Children yet but I need it for deadly sins so I plan to watch it soon. I will come back later to answer this one after I have seen Wolf Children.

3- If annoyingly specific is what you were going for, this request definitely misses the mark. I could probably give 50 titles that meet this criteria, but I will limit it to just a few.

Land of the Lustrous - I think I gave this to you once before, but you still have it unmarked so I will try again. The art style is absolutely beautiful and like nothing I have seen. The world building is also fascinating. It focuses on a tribe of rock girls named after various minerals such as Diamond, Jade and Amethyst and how capable characters are as fighters heavily depends on what material their body is made of. The main character is a fairly weak material so she is destined to be useless, but she will do whatever it takes to prove herself capable of being a fighter.
Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl - You seem to have loved Bunny Girl Senpai and the movie is a direct sequel to it. You might want to rewatch Bunny Girl Senpai if you haven't seen it in a while because when I watched the movie I kind of forgot what was going on where the anime left off and it was a bit confusing at first, but once I got my bearings it was a great movie.
Snow White with the Red Hair - This is an anime about a girl who wants to prove herself as a capable herbalist but everyone thinks that her only role in society is to be a housewife because her only value is that she has pretty red hair. This might also fit your anime with an Ascendance of a Bookworm vibe request.

4- As I mentioned before, I don't really understand what you mean by "Ye Olde Isekai" so I might be taking shots in the dark here. It sounds like you are looking for Isekai that were made before the Isekai genre took off in the Anime industry. If that is not what you meant, please specify what you mean and I will try again.
Space Jam - Possibly the oldest Isekai ever made.
Now and Then, Here and There - I haven't seen this one for myself yet, but I have been meaning to watch it and from what I have heard about it I think it might be everything you are looking for.

5- Protagonist who is strong but also sweet???
Berserk - This is an old anime and the animation definitely shows its age, but I think the main character is the kind of character you are looking for. He is a strong and ruthless fighter, but he cares deeply for the men who fight at his side and it also has a sweet romance that develops. That being said there is also some nudity if that is a deal breaker for you.
Boarding School Juliet - If you are up for a silly light hearted rom com this one might work for you. The main protagonist is a top student and fighter for the black dogs, but he has a soft spot for a Juliet who unfortunately goes to a school that the black dogs are at war with.

Last edited:
Well I just finished watching Wolf Children and I can see why you love it. This movie was a masterpiece. That being said, I haven't really seen anything like it.
Spice and Wolf has some of the feel for the early parts of this movie, specifically someone trying to deal with the complications of day to day life alongside a girl who can transform into a wolf.
Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway has some of the general feel of a being alone and trying to take care of a child under unusual circumstances that are not accepted by society. While completely different circumstances, I think this is sort of the general vibe you were going for. Given the tags and content warnings it might not be a good recommendation for you, but I figured I would put it out there anyway.
New Game! You also mentioned Ascendance of a Bookworm which you probably have noticed by now is a series that I love. They both have a female main character put into a situation where the odds are stacked against her but she still manages to achieve her goals. If an iyashikei anime like that is what you are looking for you might enjoy this one too.

@Warpuppy
Hi! Thanks for the recommendations. I apologise for being so cryptic (and vague). I have spent way too much time on Tumblr and reading fanfiction lately and have since picked up the lingo. I would rename the title but I am a lazy bastard and can't even be bothered to find out if it's possible in the first place XD
Anyways, you're the second person to recommend Spice and Wolf so now I have to watch it. I remember trying to watch it when I was first getting into anime but at the time didn't have the patience for it. I have since matured (sort of) so I'll definitely give it another go.
I probably won't watch the Berserk anime as I have seen clips of the abomination it has become. But I might go back to the manga. My only problem with it is that I know what happens to Griffin and I just know I'm gonna be upset about this as I'm only a few chapters in and I'm already attached.
Weathering with You and the Bunny Girl movie are both ones that I'm planning on watching with my sister. We're trying to blitz through our watch list before we both go to uni so I'll let you know if we managed to watch them in time.
I've been meaning to look at Now and Then, Here and There and I may give Boarding School Juliet a go so long as it doesn't end as most Romeo and Juliet adaptations do and they both kill themselves. Please let me know if you happen to know.
I will do my best to get through them all x

@Warpuppy
Hi! Thanks for the recommendations. I apologise for being so cryptic (and vague). I have spent way too much time on Tumblr and reading fanfiction lately and have since picked up the lingo. I would rename the title but I am a lazy bastard and can't even be bothered to find out if it's possible in the first place XD
Anyways, you're the second person to recommend Spice and Wolf so now I have to watch it. I remember trying to watch it when I was first getting into anime but at the time didn't have the patience for it. I have since matured (sort of) so I'll definitely give it another go.
I probably won't watch the Berserk anime as I have seen clips of the abomination it has become. But I might go back to the manga. My only problem with it is that I know what happens to Griffin and I just know I'm gonna be upset about this as I'm only a few chapters in and I'm already attached.
Weathering with You and the Bunny Girl movie are both ones that I'm planning on watching with my sister. We're trying to blitz through our watch list before we both go to uni so I'll let you know if we managed to watch them in time.
I've been meaning to look at Now and Then, Here and There and I may give Boarding School Juliet a go so long as it doesn't end as most Romeo and Juliet adaptations do and they both kill themselves. Please let me know if you happen to know.
I will do my best to get through them all x

Boarding School Juliet is just a silly rom com. It doesn't have the dark and serious nature that other Romeo and Juliet stories do. Its been a while since I have seen it but I don't think anyone died. Definitely not the main characters.

Boarding School Juliet is just a silly rom com. It doesn't have the dark and serious nature that other Romeo and Juliet stories do. Its been a while since I have seen it but I don't think anyone died. Definitely not the main characters.
Ah awesome! Will definitely watch then x

For iyashikei my top recommendation is Natsume’s Book of Friends. It’s about a soft boy who can see youkai and his tsundere cat youkai.

1) First check out my "Anime with Women in mind" List which has a LOT of these similar type of animes that you request on there: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Cattrah/lists/anime-with-women-in-mind--444291?page=2

Almost all of these recs on that list, but if not you can manually copy paste the name.

2) Boy/Guy in Distress:
Currently watching March Comes in like a lion which falls into this category.
Maquia when the promised flower blooms also falls in this category. (and is also female fantasy lead)
And my previously suggested Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, from the other list you posted a year ago, falls into this.

3) Fantasy with female lead:
A recent one I watched that I haven't yet seen mentioned is : The Saints Magic Power is Omnipotent also has bland/light harem AND is female isekai.
Drifting Dragons is another fantasy with female lead.
and Someday Dreamers

4) Soft Boi but OP
Heroic Age has this requirement, minimal fan service. Cant recall if harem but doesnt have harem tag so thats good.
To your eternity has "Soft Boy but OP" too.
The witcher Nightmare of the wolf has soft boy turned bad boy, goes soft later, but OP.

Reccomendations for something similar to Wolf's Children for the Slice of life and yet also amazing animation/story/love etc.
1) The Garden of Words - Set in a park, with changing of seasons as two depressed people connect on rainy day. Beautiful. Also movie.
2) When Marnie was there- a girl moves to a rural part of japan for reason, and meets a figure from the past that only she can see and interact with. Slice of life/timetravel mystery, also gorgeous.
3) Ride your wave - The anime is a little more fluid but it makes sense, as it's mostly about water and moving through life. It's a little different but it was really beautiful in it's own way.

I just finished watching this movie and so I would like to add it to my recommendations in the "Similar to Wolf Children" category.
The Dog of Flanders Movie is a countryside anime about a boy and his grandpa living alone in the countryside trying to make ends meet. It's not too long and I think you will like it.

Back