Anime you expected to hate but ended up loving.

At the moment I have 2 guilty pleasures that I really didn't expect and totally can't explain either because it's normally not my cup of tea at all. Waiting in the Summer and Teasing Master Takagi-san.

Waiting in the summer is just a typical love triangle type of series but they added a red headed space alien, the show makes no sense half the time but I couldn't look away.

Teasing Master Takagi-san is about a girl who has a crush on a boy who sits next to her in class but she loves his dumb expressions so she messes with him the whole day and the boy just loses his shit, trying to get revenge.

I can't find the post from me on this thread that I was expecting to find so

I actually really expected to hate Ansatsu Kyoushitsu before watching it, as well as JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. My all-time favorites. Subversion of expectations is a hell of a drug.
tenor.gif

there’s been a handful of manga/anime I thought wouldn’t like; and all of them ended up being super enjoyable to me.

i didn’t think i’d like naruto, one piece, or bleach and i binged all of them like my life depended on it. i love all three of those series so much more than I originally thought.

I didnt expect to love hajime no ippo or initial d, and that was because i just do not like the 90’s anime or manga art style. bothers the shit out of me, but for some reason with both of those titles, I kept trying to watch them and falling in love with them as hard as I did really distracted me from the art style.

I also didn’t expect to like shokugeki no souma, since ecchi isn’t really my favorite genre, but I’ll deal with it. shokugeki turned out to be something I enjoyed so much.

(Can you tell shounens are my weakness???)

Don't know if that is even possible :/

With my mentality it should happen some day.

I wouldn't necessarily use the words "hate" or "love", but after reading some reviews about Children of the Whales, I wasn't expecting much from the anime. Still, its plot sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a shot anyway. Turns out the anime was better than I expected it to be. Although it had several flaws, the story and its characters were interesting enough to make me start reading the manga.

Same thing with Amnesia. Despite the protagonist being as annoying and dumb as people said she was, the possible love interests and Orion (and Sawa) were likable enough to make me buy the game on sale.

And although I despised the ending, I don't think Black Butler II was that bad. Had the anime focused more on the Trancy mansion, developed Alois' character properly and changed the ending this anime could've been a great spin-off.

A sister's all you need, between the title and the first episode I tune out imediately but I left it in my stalled category. One day when I was bored I decided to view the 2nd episode and then I was grabbed. Yes its a little preverted but the story is actually good and the prevertion adds to the the story and fits with the story. It probably is an accurate slice of life for a manga writer. My first rating was a 2 out of 5 based on the title and first episode, after finishing the series I gave it a well deserved 4 out of 5.

I thought Bloom Into You would be another fanservice-y, homophobic love triangle ridden pseudo romance, but it actually turned out to be very nuanced and really great. A Place Further than the Universe had an art style I thought would be indicative of being 'cute girls doing cute things' boring nonsense, but it turned out to be really heartfelt. Heartcatch Precure I thought would be an underwhelming children's show (I mean, it IS a children't show so what should I expect), but amongst all it's cutesy-ness and materialism, there's actually a really well told story. I assumed the movie Brave Story would be a typical isekai, but it was actually super rad and better than most things of the fantasy and isekai genres I've seen. I thought Blue Exorcist would be typical shounen garbage, but it's actually really fun. I thought From the New World was going to be some weird cutesy thing, but it ended up being a really harsh and dark story. I really hate stories centered around racing but people convincing me to sit down and watch Redline and Initial D were great people 'cuz both shows are great. I got through the first season of Marimite and was really bored and thought it was gonna be a bad show, but I forced myself into the second season and as I kept watching I started falling in love with it, season 3 (and 4 for that matter) were really big into getting me, not just into that series, but the genre type all together. And, now a decade letter I have a newfound love for the first season.

I could ramble on about hundreds of shows.

I went into Cross Ange two weeks into its airing thinking I would hate the entire series and to have something to make fun of every week like Shit.Zero, but I ended up being fairly entertained and the cast of characters grew on me especially my waifu Hilda who I started out hating, but at the end of the day she stole my heart. <3

Well to tell truth . . . I think for me it's
(  ̄∇ ̄)
"The Royal Tutor"
Cause 1st I thought it's a kind of lesson type so after watching 2ep I kind of dropped it & then may be after 1 and a half or 2 weeks later
Since I didn't have any anime to watch (For Comedy one) . . . I thought I should watch royal tutor again but . .( ̄~ ̄;)
Left it again after watching 5 episodes
Cause I was bored & started reading Mangas .. . .though those were incredibly good . .. (*≧▽≦)

So again I kind of think about the anime I didn't finished (Cause I don't want to drop any of anime or manga ) I ended up Watching it again ◪_◪ "
but now it was that interesting that it's in my top 10 (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)
Well same goes for "Seraph of the end" . . .I thought it would be total of action (Well it Was) but When I watched 1st ep I ended up loving it too much
Well I think I wrote too much (As it was about anime )
I can write as much I want , though i don't like typing

Hate is kinda strong word, but these are some of the shows that I didn't expect to like as much as I did:
-Most sports anime shows I've seen (I'm not a fan of sports, but for example Haikyuu! has managed to become one of my favorite shows ever. )
-Love Live!
-Rising of the Shield Hero (It's probably no surprise to anyone that I don't like isekai outside of a few shows.This show had somewhat "interesting" start and even though the quality has decreased as it has gone on I still enjoy it.)

I was actually quite skeptical of Yuru Camp going into the series, but it won me over by the end of the first episode. I also recently binge watched Juuni Taisen, which I had zero expectations for. To my surprise, it was actually a blast to watch. In fact, It might be one of my favorite action focused series out there.

Ace of The Diamond I hate baseball and the series did really stall but thanks to Miyuki reminding me of a male take of my friend I kept watching and it won me over after that. When I seen Act 2 I started drooling

Its more so first impressions than me expecting to hate them.
It took me 3 attempts to get into code geass but ended up loving it.
it took me 2 attempts to get into FMAB but ended up loving it as well.
- hyouka 4 attempts, cant finish... i get like 10 episodes in though
- eva 3 attempts, first episode sooo boring
- girls last tour 1 attempt
- made in abyss 1 attempt

A Little Sister's All You Need. I expected it to be a throwaway gag anime that just kept recycling trope after trope. While it's not a perfect anime, there are surprisingly good moments throughout.
For example, near the end, there is a derious scene where MC-kun is talking about why he doesnt love the main female love interest, Nayuta, and he out of nowhere (this is a guy who is a parody of himself, a constant performer who worships sisters) and talks about how he cannot love this girl until he's able to make work as good as hers, and then you find out she's awake under the covers listening, and she blushes, and FUCK that scene haunts me.

Another one was Bakuman. Stupidly, I never watched it when it first came out because it sounded like Bakugan and I thought, for no reason, that it was childish. Young kids trying to make manga? What, were they gonna have to deal with HIGH SCHOOL PROBLEMS while chasing their dreams? Spare me.

Jokes on me, I found it to be one of the most endearing shows I've ever seen, and I was cheering for their success more than any sports anime I've ever seen. Loved it.

Back